Status of SS Norway

Found this posted on Maritime Matters today, August 8

Local murmurs suggest BLUE LADY (ex FRANCE, NORWAY) will beach on August 9.

Will be interesting if there are pictures of Norway beached in Alang on internet tomorrow?

What a sad ending to a ship with a wonderful history!:cool:

from Reuben Gooessens' website here:

http://www.ssmaritime.com/Norway-NewsUpdates-1.htm

"August 9: The truth is much has been happening during the last twenty four hours, including the new application to the Supreme Court of India. The aim is to ensure Blue Lady will not be beached, and by delaying this, the following could occur. 1. The breakers would be more favorably inclined to sell Blue Lady to “Project Dubai,” without certain demands they have made in the past. 2. See her returned to Star Cruises, who will then decide to resell her to Project Dubai, and regain their reputation."

There are email addresses at this website for officials in India, including the President! I emailed each address yesterday. If you have sailed on this grand old ship I hope you will join in this campaign to save her. Details are at the website above.

Freckles,

Thanks for the news and update which appears to be good news for now.

I sailed on the Norway twice and am glad that I had that opportunity...she is the last of her kind and not even the QE2 is quite in her league...let's all hope for the best...I will also send out some EMails.

Thanks

Mark:cool:

Hi Mark, I was on the second to last crossing on the FRANCE in 1974. It was my very first cruise. I wish I'd paid more attention.... little did I know that thirty years later I'd be writing to the President of India in hopes of saving her!!!

Maybe others will see this and join in the email campaign. I hope so!!!

• 3 months later...

I am saddened to hear of the fate of The S.S. Norway. I have not kept up to date on the news concerning her. When I started reading the posts and saw everything that transpired it left me bitter. This is one of the last Translantic Ocean Liners. When I last read an update which was in 2004 that she was laid up in Bremerhaven, Germany awaiting new boilers and a minor refit. Now she is beached in Alang, India and looking worse for wear. When I saw the photos she looks worse than the S.S. United States. I wonder if NCL has the same plans instore for the S.S. United States. Whatever the outcome I hope that she will end up in Dubai so that we may still have a distinguised ocean liner of her era still in active duty!!!!

• 1 month later...

I sailed my first magical cruise on the Norway back in 1991. When I saw the pix of her on that craggy beach it just broke my heart. She was so alive and such a wonderful ship. The Norway will always be a grand lady in my heart.

If the owners do not want to fix her back, or just don't want to spend the money - I for one would rather see her sunk to the bottom. At least it will be a more dignified ending than to have her be torn apart and sold for scrap. She is better than the price of scrap.

My name will be added to the email list as well!

The SS Norway was one of the first cruise ship experiences for me. We went on a 14 day mediterranean cruise and we have alot of memories. We went with 17 family members and had a waiter named Sammy who made us cookies and took such good care of us!! I hope NCL will take good care of her:-)

The SS Norway was one of the first cruise ship experiences for me. We went on a 14 day mediterranean cruise and we have alot of memories. We went with 17 family members and had a waiter named Sammy who made us cookies and took such good care of us!! I hope NCL will take good care of her:-)

Unfortunately, NCL is responsible for her sitting on a scraggly beach in India!!!!!!!!

NCL also brought her out of mothballs twenty years ago when no one including the French who owned her wanted her. NCL for over a year tried to sell her for a nominal amount to any real taker....no one except people who wanted NCL to pay for it came forward. Yes its on the beach in India, and that is where she will be broken up.You could contribute to a fund(aka pipe dream) to try to save her but the chances are slim to none unless France or some other government PAYS to save her. Many of the famous ww II ships in the US went to the scrappers only a few were saved. The Queen Mary in Long Beach that was saved is in bankruptcy....

• 1 year later...

Hello folks, new member here>

I've been following the demise of the SS Norway and these last few pictures as she sits off the coast of India have actually brought me to tears at times seeing her sitting in disgrace, but I can agree with what one person said:

She may be sitting in the mud but she is sitting upright and still standing tall and proud!!!

I took 2 cruises on her when I was 15 and 17. I am now 36. These were before they added the 2 upper decks in the late 90's.

I am also awaiting word from the webmaster of SSnoray.no about the movie documentary they are making about her.

It's saddening what she looks like these days!!:(

It is sad. I was on her when I was 14, 15 and 16, and again when I was 32 on one of her last NCL voyages in 2002. I'm 38 now. When I was 14 we won the deck Olympics and I became a man with a 16 year old girl in her sisters cabin. ;) No such luck on the next two cruises Olympics or otherwise. :cool: In 02 I was amazed at how old she was, but still in good shape. The pictures now are just sad.

• 4 weeks later...

It is so sad to think this Grand Old Lady will never sail again. I took my daughters on her and they instantly feel in love with cruising. Despite the aminities of the newer ships, my favorite and my daughters' favorite will always be the Norway.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The accident has come up in the courts:

"Norwegian Cruise Line was ordered by federal court judge in Florida to pay a $1 million fine and $13.75 million preliminary restitution to the victims of the deadly boiler explosion on the Norway May 25, 2003. All the dead suffered severe burns from the superheated steam and oil that burst from the ruptured boiler, the Miami-Dade Medical Examiner's Office ruled at the time. The company agreed to plead guilty earlier this month to a charge of gross negligence, the U.S. Attorney's Office said. The company admitted it had "failed to insure that proper inspections, maintenance, and repairs of boiler components were carried out.""

I am surprised that the Coast Guard never spotted anything wrong in the engine room during their routine inspections and grounded Norway because fo them. I am also very surprised and disappointed that a large rspectable cruise line like NCL along with their cash-heavy parent company Star Cruises would allow such a situtation to occur...I cannot believe that the management of NCL and Star did not know of the problems with the boilers! I was always a NCL cruiser and sailed on Norway twice but have not sailed on NCL after Star's takeover and the boiler disaster. I have switched to RCCL and Carnival with RCCl being my number one choice...sorry NCL but you let me down and the other customers by your negligence!!!

Archived