QE2 Fantasy Refit

bobby1119

ss norway glad to hear you had a good cabin - that's my trouble I always end up booking either a PG or QG cabin and yes the Caronia Rest which is the only other rest. I've dined in on board is good but nothing like the Grill restaurants! It's just not the same experience alt. I have many friends who travel in the Mauretania Rest and say they have a great time re food & service so perhaps I am missing out on something!

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

We were told that they lay the tables in the QG lounge for six at tea so that there were spares. I'm not convinced....

We find that the lounge is least pleasant for tea. We normally take tea in our cabin - and if we ask for scones we get them! We did actually ask for smoked salmon sandwiches - assuming they were on the menu downstairs - which were made specially for us. If we had the choice of tea in the QG lounge or the Queens Room then it would definitely be the Queens Room.

The glasses in the restaurant have recently changed. Perfectly okay, but as you say, cheap machine made.

If you want your foot on fire, then there are certainly plenty of options. Just ask! We do!

I've not eaten anywhere else on the ship so can't compare, but the Queens Grill is the match for more or less anywhere else we've been. At least at its best it is - and it is never less than excellent.

As someone in my early 30's

As someone who's in his very late 30's I'm astonished how many people prefer the Queens Room to the QG Lounge for afternoon tea. Although I'm not that keen on the lounge I go there for afternoon tea because, firstly, you get a slightly better tea and, secondly, you don't need to get there several hours before they start serving just to get a table.

As someone who's in his very late 30's I'm astonished how many people prefer the Queens Room to the QG Lounge for afternoon tea. Although I'm not that keen on the lounge I go there for afternoon tea because, firstly, you get a slightly better tea and, secondly, you don't need to get there several hours before they start serving just to get a table.

Hmmm, maybe I caught the Grill Lounge on a bad day. It was the starchy atmosphere that put me off (apart from it being a scone-free zone!). Believe me, I can be a Hyacinth-style manners snob of the highest order, but here I felt this strong urge to commit some terrible social misdemeanour like burping very loudly. Anything to break the ice!

Tim.

PS Don't worry, I'm back in Caronia for my next trip so won't get the chance to disgrace myself, Grill-style ;)

Hmmm, maybe I caught the Grill Lounge on a bad day. It was the starchy atmosphere that put me off (apart from it being a scone-free zone!). Believe me, I can be a Hyacinth-style manners snob of the highest order, but here I felt this strong urge to commit some terrible social misdemeanour like burping very loudly. Anything to break the ice!

Tim.

PS Don't worry, I'm back in Caronia for my next trip so won't get the chance to disgrace myself, Grill-style ;)

Tim,

Having sailed before in QG, Q3, Q4 cabins, I cannot agree more heartily with you regarding the atmosphere in the QG Lounge. "Starchy" is the perfect word. I do enjoy the service in the QG Restaurant, although I do not find the food brilliant in either imagination or execution. I will be in Caronia for the the world cruise. If I hear a loud burp, I will know you are there! ;)Hope to meet you during the voyage.

Bobby

RE: The Queens Grill Lounge -

I love it for pre/post dinner drinks - if seated/standing around the bar only - very fun and very social.... and you can't beat the location... a few feet away from your dinner table.

I hate it for afternoon tea - it's like a morgue.

I find it a rather silly place to sit and read during the day... if you're a Grill passenger your cabin would be a quieter & more comfortable place to be.

All in all, I think that since the Queens Grill & Lounge were an "after-thought" to QE 2 that they work pretty well but not great.

-Michael

Here is somebody else who is in his 30's and likes tea in the Queens Grill Lounge.

The atmosphere is very friendly and civilized. The china is much nicer than the one used in the Queen's Room. Fresh scones are served on request. You can arrive when ever you want and you will either find a seat easily or the stewards will take care of you. A rest from the bustle outside.

On the negative side, service in July of this year was sometimes too slow and uncoordinated.

I also like the orchestrated service and the musicians in the Queen's Room but it is often too crowded.

In both location you might or might not find interesting people to talk to if interested.

Tim.

Actually I was really shocked at the amount of burps and trumps in the QG bar at night, I was on my best behaviour (for a change) and was quite amazed at what sounds were eminating from very glamourous glittery frocks!!

Here is somebody else who is in his 30's and likes tea in the Queens Grill Lounge.

I was in my thirties last time I took tea on QE2...

More seriously, I think the QG lounge is best after dinner. I'm not a great fan of sitting around reading when aboard, but if I was I'd like it. Few Queens Grill cabins have a really good view out, so if you want to watch the ocean go past, a cabin on deck one or two isn't as good.

We don't tend to have tea downstairs - our experience of both Queens Room and Queens Grill Lounge is that they get very busy. We're not organised enough, so tend to have it in our cabin.

What else could you put in its place? I'm not sure that there is anything that strikes one as an obvious need.

My solution to the room would be to make it Queens Grill only. That would make it less busy. Perhaps the boardroom could be changed to a lounge for the Princess/Britannia Grills?

My solution to the room would be to make it Queens Grill only. That would make it less busy.

The QG Lounge was QG only once. Each of the Grills had their own lounge. The Princess Grill Port's lounge is now the Champagne Bar and the Princess Grill Starboard's Lounge was used to make part of the Crystal Bar.

I'm not sure that I'd have wanted to take tea in the port side bar, being internal, although the view from the starboard bar wouldn't have been too bad.

Perhaps the boardroom could be changed to a lounge for the Princess/Britannia Grills?

Good idea. Other than a lounge for people doing the entire World Cruise what use does the Boardroom have?

Thinking about it one change I would like to make would be to have two lounges, one just for Caronia diners and one just for Mauretania diners. I think that would give a more "special" feeling to being in any of the grades.

Good idea. Other than a lounge for people doing the entire World Cruise what use does the Boardroom have?

Well in the good old days, it used to play host to the Hotel managers (and other various officers )cocktail parties, when cocktail parties were cocktail parties, and the invites were extended to the chosen few not all and sundry. It has also been used as duty free collecting waiting room where you collect your duty free alcohol, and that was the biggest shambles l ever saw, and its seen a few clandestine meetings, but that really is another story. It also holds a few nice pictures, but generally now it does seem a bit of a waste, Surprised Carnival havent squeezed a suite in there:rolleyes:

Other than a lounge for people doing the entire World Cruise what use does the Boardroom have?

Last year I was invited to a reception there. Actually it turned out to be connected with the presentation of some jewelery available for sale on board but the champagne was nice and the small circle of guest were interesting to talk to.

This year in July the board room was used for the production of the new daily TV show of the cruise director.

After QE2's post-tandem crossing refit in '04, the Boardroom was converted into a gym for a short time.

There was still work being done on the 7 Deck gym, so some basic equipment such as treadmills, bikes, and weights were moved into the Boardroom.

The space was a bit cramped, but the cardio machines were set up to face out of the large boardroom windows. It was nice working up a sweat while looking out across the boat deck to the sea, like the gyms on newer ships.

Well in the good old days, it used to play host to the Hotel managers [cocktail party]

I never got to the Hotel Managers' party, but I did get to the Doctors a couple of times (those parties were fun, there was so much food at them you didn't need to go for dinner afterwards!). The Doctor's parties were always in the Doctors Consulting Rooms so I'd always assumed that the Hotel Manager's were in his quarters (although if you've ever been in his office there isn't much room for a large party:( ).

stowaway2k

After QE2's post-tandem crossing refit in '04, the Boardroom was converted into a gym for a short time.

There was still work being done on the 7 Deck gym, so some basic equipment such as treadmills, bikes, and weights were moved into the Boardroom.

Is that what they told you ? !!!

It was actually hastily done after the Bremerhaven refit when they decided to re-tile the pool and sort out a little leak. Unfortunatley when they took off the tiles they found that they (the tiles) were all that was actually holding it together and it ended up in the engine room.

I was quite surprised to see it open again this time, I thought they may have just left it, but the gym equipment did look rather strange in the boardroom and there were no changing facilities there so I suppose they had to fix it all back up again.

Is that what they told you ? !!!

It was actually hastily done after the Bremerhaven refit when they decided to re-tile the pool and sort out a little leak. Unfortunatley when they took off the tiles they found that they (the tiles) were all that was actually holding it together and it ended up in the engine room.

They (crew)told me what you have said. They weren't trying to hide anything. I just wanted to make a long story short.

The Bremerhaven refit was the same post tandem-crossing refit.

I was on the first cruise afterwards, and there were issues still to be delt with in places throughout the ship.

No problem though, it was a great cruise.

They (crew)told me what you have said. They weren't trying to hide anything. I just wanted to make a long story short.

The Bremerhaven refit was the same post tandem-crossing refit.

I was on the first cruise afterwards, and there were issues still to be delt with in places throughout the ship.

No problem though, it was a great cruise.

I think I must have been on the week after you, one of the crew said that she has been birthed next to or opposite the SS Norway in Bremerhaven for the refit, that must have been quite a site!

I can't remember the date, but we went to Liverpool, Waterford, Cherbourge and Guernsey, all seemed very ship shape to me too.... thats why we all love her so much!!

PS If we were on the same cruise, our similar pictures above could have been taken the same day!!

PS If we were on the same cruise, our similar pictures above could have been taken the same day!!

If I remember right, my cruise departed 24 May, '04

The cruise was a seven-nighter, "Northern Delights", calling at Oslo, Copenhagen, and overnight in (or rather near!) Amsterdam.

There were still plently of workmen scurrying about the ship as passengers were embarking, and equipment stored around the pool being off-loaded by crane. Blue linoleum was still being layed around the bar in the Golden Lion Pub, as the replacement wood grain had not arrived in time.

The gym equipment was being hauled up to the boardroom at the same time.

Somewhere I have photos of QE2 and Norway in Bremerhaven, courtesy of a friend from Hamburg who made the trip to Bremerhaven just for the photo-opp.

This year in July the board room was used for the production of the new daily TV show of the cruise director.

That was a mistake. That cruise director should have been downstairs in the swimming pool. About seven feet down....

The room has also been used for Immigration for the USA.

If I remember right, my cruise departed 24 May, '04

The cruise was a seven-nighter, "Northern Delights", calling at Oslo, Copenhagen, and overnight in (or rather near!) Amsterdam.

There were still plently of workmen scurrying about the ship as passengers were embarking, and equipment stored around the pool being off-loaded by crane. Blue linoleum was still being layed around the bar in the Golden Lion Pub, as the replacement wood grain had not arrived in time.

The gym equipment was being hauled up to the boardroom at the same time.

Somewhere I have photos of QE2 and Norway in Bremerhaven, courtesy of a friend from Hamburg who made the trip to Bremerhaven just for the photo-opp.

I'd love a copy of the pics if you get the chance

Mark

ssfrance2 at btinternet dot com

thanks

Having started this thread, I wanted to say thanks to everyone for posting so many interesting suggestions, for sharing recollections and observations and for raising many other interesting questions and possibilities. It has made for great summertime reading!

While ideas about bringing back the forward looking bar, restoring the original design concept, relocating the gym all have merit, I must conclude that we all agree that we love and cherish this great and grand ship just the way she is!

Happy sailings to all!

Bobby

Archived