Is it really feasible to do some laundry during our cruise?

pampaul

We'll be on the Dawn from the 19-26th of this month. The idea of getting some laundry done before we get home sounds great to me. I just bought a small bottle of laundry soap so I don't have to buy any on board but I just got to thinking......can someone tell me where the laundromat is on the ship? We will be on Deck 4 and I'm assuming the laundry is somewhere up top, right? Just want to know if it's even worth packing up a suitcase full of dirty clothes, lugging it up to the laundry and doing it all only to lug it back downstairs again when it's all done. Will I look ridiculous dragging a suitcase all around? Please give advise!!!

Carnival had laundries on every other passenger floor and we did laundry just about every cruise and packed a lot less. Worried less too as I knew if I ran out of shorts and shirts I could wash them. It was so much easier packing clean clothes. I think we took ours to the laundry in a big shopping bag. Easier than suitcase. And we didn't do all our clothes... :) If you dont' do laundry the liquid laundry detergent you bring can be used on the bathingsuits and such you will probably wash yourselves in the cabin anyway.... Debbie

We'll be on the Dawn from the 19-26th of this month. The idea of getting some laundry done before we get home sounds great to me. I just bought a small bottle of laundry soap so I don't have to buy any on board but I just got to thinking......can someone tell me where the laundromat is on the ship? We will be on Deck 4 and I'm assuming the laundry is somewhere up top, right? Just want to know if it's even worth packing up a suitcase full of dirty clothes, lugging it up to the laundry and doing it all only to lug it back downstairs again when it's all done. Will I look ridiculous dragging a suitcase all around? Please give advise!!!

We went on the 8 day Mexican Riveria cruise. With 4 of us it was necessary, but me and my hubby get up early so basically it was no big deal. In fact I did it around the 5th day, and again just before we went back. Hope that helps. ps - don't do it on the last day, it will be VERY crowded.

The Dawn has laundries on several floors. I don't remember exactly which floors, but I know there was one on deck 5. They're on the starboard side of the ship and you might have to ask someone where they are located. You had to go through a door marked "Crew Only" to get through to the 5th deck laundry. It was a really nice one.

I went on the Dawn in 2004. There were a group on the roll call that got together doing laundry and drinking champagne. It was hilarious. I have to admit I didn't participate. I would rather bring home dirty clothes (even wear dirty clothes) than do laundry on vacation. :D

Going on a cruise on the Star in a couple of weeks. Unfortunately, I understand their is no laundry facility on this ship. I do understand from the boards that their is shipboard laundry offered later in the week. I may not be able to wait that long. Any hints on washing your laundry in your cabin and being able to get it dry?? Especially going to a colder climate like Alaska?

Thanks -

I am not sure but NCL used to have a laundry special about 1/2 way thru the cruise that for 19.99 you can stuff a bag they provide full and they will wash it for you. I have used this a couple of times, and it was great. Good sized bag.

didn't know the dawn had laundry. didn't see any on the star, the sister ship.

Laundry gets busy as the trip winds down, so that could be a while. Also people don't seem to perfectly know how to operate the machines, so the clothes could be on 40 minute deep wash cycles instead of merely a 20 clean.

Did laundry last week on POH. Machines on the ship are European (Miele) and VERY small inside. It was convenient and meant I didn't have to bring as much clothing. Also had wet clothes from 3 of us tubing that did not dry overnight on the bathroom clothesline, so I tossed them in the dryer the next day. They weren't clean, but I didn't want to pack wet clothes for the trip home.

Don't know if all the ships have European machines, but be prepared for controls different from what we are used to. It took a bit to figure them out. But I did appreciate having the laundry facilities onboard.

The only NCL ships with self service laundrys are

Dawn, Jewel, and Pride of Hawaii.

The Pearl and Gem will probably also have them when they start service.

All NCL's 92,000 grt sister ships have them except the Star, which was the first ship of this class to be built.

We went on NCL Jewel this past Xmas (Dec 25 - Jan 1). On the Thurs, they had a special. where they charge a relatively low flat rate for one bag full of laundry. I could not remember how much they charge but it sounded a good deal at the time. The deals says you can jam as many items into the bag with the same prize. Check it out and good luck.

Archived