Royal Caribbean enforcing passports?

[quote name='negc']Do you seriously believe that our passport regulations should be geared to those who might not use them more than once in 10 years?:confused: Maybe you would like a system where at the end of the 10 years, passport holders could get a partial refund if they didn't use them more than a minimum number of times over that ten year period.:rolleyes: If it costs that family an extra $400 to determine that cruising is not for them, then that is unfortunate, but to base our fee system on such a hypothetical situation is ludicrous.[/quote]

Your choice of words, not mine. I did not say they needed to alter the system in any way. I was simply voicing a hypothetical scenario and as usual somebody has the preposterous idea to try to be a mind reader and blow things out of proportion.

Back to being on-topic... hasn't this dead horse been beat enough??

Instead of speculating here, why not go to the source itself:

[url]http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html[/url]

and:

[URL="http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/passportGuidelines.do;jsessionid=0000AoAa3zGQWq2ypCTBPl8NjZg:10ktmf25f"]http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/passportGuidelines.do;jsessionid=0000AoAa3zGQWq2ypCTBPl8NjZg:10ktmf25f[/URL]

The gov't site has recently changed the date to January 8, 2007, allowing an extra week, the RCCL site still shows Dec. 31, 2006. Nowhere on the RCCL page does it state that passports are required before that date. The cruiseline does not make these requirements, the government does. The OP may have seen a suggestion by RCI to obtain a passport, last year about this time, TA's were putting warnings on documents to obtain passports. The gov't then decided to allow an extra year.

Personally, I can't wait until it is a done deal and all the questions are moot. I think that every US citizen leaving the US should have a valid passport to re-enter our country. For those who have families and it will be a hardship to purchase passports all at once, get them one at a time, spread the expense over a few months. If a family cannot afford them, they will just not be able to go.

[quote name='seamama1'][B]Thanks! But, I think most of us are aware of this. The OP is upset because RCCL is requiring passports sooner. As many have mentioned, RCCL can require anything they want. The OP has the option to then go ahead and cruise with RCCL - or not. If she chooses to cruise with RCCL - she will need a passport.[/B]

[B]She other options right now - but I believe that most of the major cruiselines will require this sooner too. They are trying to cut their liability and to standardize their checkin process. Knowing that the passport requirements are soon coming, they have opted to put it into effect at this time....Their ships, their rules. [/B][/quote]

Another flog at the horse:D On our recent TA cruise, RCI did ask for passport information to be faxed or emailed ahead of time, and at check in they did ask to see our passports. We aren't Americans and I know that's part of it BUT I still don't see any reason not to get one. It's just such a non-issue......get the passport, because you're going to need it eventually anyway, and what happens if you wait too long and then can't get one when you DO need it because of volume? I'd get it now and beat the rush.

Fran in Toronto

Just went this morning to get passports for our 3 children (17,14 and 10)who will be sailing with us on Oct 28. When the person at the post office asked if we were going on a cruise (she saw the destination locations listed), she said that it was a good thing we decided to go ahead and get them passports rather than just rely on birth certificates because cruise lines were now requiring them. I agree that I haven't seen where RCI is requiring them but the person processing the passports must have heard something was in the works at least.

We were going to do that but now we are thinking we are taking another trip in February so wanted to have the passports done before the rush at the end of the year. I think all will be safe with just birth certificates but I wonder why that person said that today. I should have asked her more about it.

[quote name='sailingsue5']Just went this morning to get passports for our 3 children (17,14 and 10)who will be sailing with us on Oct 28. When the person at the post office asked if we were going on a cruise (she saw the destination locations listed), she said that it was a good thing we decided to go ahead and get them passports rather than just rely on birth certificates because cruise lines were now requiring them. I agree that I haven't seen where RCI is requiring them but the person processing the passports must have heard something was in the works at least.[/quote]

The person at the post office was simply wrong. She might have been repeating a rumor that someone started but there is no basis for her remark.:mad:

Archived