Royal Caribbean enforcing passports?

Just read on the us gov site that they are delaying the passport rule untill jan 2008,also if you are a u.s resident,you will have to have fingerprints at the port you renter in.

I know RCI does not have to follow this rule.

You should have read beyond the first paragraph. It's jan 1st, 07 for cruises

Was on the July 14th EOS cruise and passports were not a necessity. BC and government issued photo ID (driver's license) was acceptable. If you don't have a passport I suggest that you apply. There will be millions Slight exaggeration) applying in the next few months. Try tp get a jump on it. It took me 6 weeks in 2005 to get mine. I am sure that wait is going to be longer with the deadline approaching.

Was on the July 14th EOS cruise and passports were not a necessity. BC and government issued photo ID (driver's license) was acceptable. If you don't have a passport I suggest that you apply. There will be millions Slight exaggeration) applying in the next few months. Try tp get a jump on it. It took me 6 weeks in 2005 to get mine. I am sure that wait is going to be longer with the deadline approaching.

Also, things can happen to seriously delay the process. Last year before our October cruise my wife applied for her passport. We live near L.A. but for some reason they sent the paperwork to the New Orleans office for processing. Hurricane Katrina promptly drowned the New Orleans office and her paperwork. We had to get an expedited process for her application so she could get it in time. Unforseen problems can arise.

2008 now for passports? Are you sure on that? I was going to wait until later January to get ours started since we won't find out for sure whether we are going or not.

No, the poster who claimed that is WRONG. :mad: Why wait? The passports are good for 10 years. If you plan to cruise anytime after December 31, 2006 you will need one. Only if you are crossing the US border by land is the deadline a year later.

It's not a headache. Why do you think it is. For all you know the OP may never go out of the country or cruise again. He doesnt need one this yr. Leave him alone.

Thanks Cruisinfanatic and Familycruzer.

I actually DO have a passport. Mainly because I was told last year that I was going to need one for my cruise in August (2005). So I spent the extra money to get it expedited and I now have one.

However, I had previously misplaced my passport in my house and couldn't find it (problem has been solved as I have found my passport).

Since I am less than 4 weeks out from my cruise and, at the time I posted this question I couldn't find my passport, I just wanted to be 100% certain I would be OK.

I wasn't complaining about the regulations at all. I understand them and have no problem with them. Just was a tiny bit worried about my honeymoon.

This is direct from RCI's TA Website...

Effective Dec. 31, 2006 the U.S. Government's Intelligence Reform Bill requires passports for all air and sea travel to or from Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean and Bermuda.

What this means to your clients:

- Guests sailing in mid-December 2006 whose itinerary transits or ends it's voyage in the U.S. on of after Dec. 31, 2006 will be required to present a valid passport at check in.

- Guests sailing on or after Dec. 31, 2006 will be required to present a valid passport during check in.

- Guests not holding a valid passports should apply for one as soon as possible.

- Guests holding ARC/Green Card are exempt.

negc,

you need one on Dec. 31st, not after. go to travel.state.gov. and click on travel to bermuda, caribbean, mexico etc. and read 2nd paragraph and sub section.

Point taken. The first sentence in the sentence is misleading. However the main point is that the deadline for air and sea travellers has not been moved back to 2008

it's not that tough to get a passport and whether you travel in or out of the US it sure beats having to drag out your drivers license and/or photo ID and birth certificate. They don't look twice at the passport having just got back from the 7/30 sailing of AOS, it was a lot easier to have that than drag out my license each time along with my seapass. Which in both St Martin and St Thomas they do ask for before you even get close to the ship. It moves you quicker through the lines of airports for sure as they figure if you have one, you are experienced enough to know the drill.

My advice is get one, you won't be sorry!:D

I applied for my passport on May 22nd. Don't wait too long. Mine was just mailed today from the passport office. Mine took a little longer as I had to send additional info due to marriage/divorce to show my name changes...but it still took 12 weeks.

Don't delay..get your info in...and take an original birth certificate, photo ID, marriage license, divorce papers if applicable. The lady at the application office originally said I didn't need them, but when DC received the application, they requested it and it took much longer.

My hubby applied June 22nd and his paper work was in order, and his was mailed yesterday according to the passport office.

You can pay a fee to expidite it if you have to, but it already costs 97.00.

TIME OUT! Before we get too excited, let's try to be logical. RCCL's not going to go off on their own and require passports before Dec 31. It would make no sense to alienate thousands of passengers. There will be enough problems come January.

I've been reading these posts long enough to know that often OPs are often either not factual or and poorly written so that the facts aren't readily apparent . In this case, the OP is relaying 2nd and 3rd hand information. If you read between the lines, it appears to me he may be saying that he can't find his birth certificate, which RCCL would normally accept to board. In the past, you could sign a statement or fill out a form and get on the ship without a birth certificate or passport................I've done it myself. Since 9/11, however, if you don't have a birth certificate, you need to have a passport. No exceptions. Perhaps that's what the OP's problem is.

This is not a requirement of any of the cruiselines! This is something our Federal Government is doing--supposedly to protect us from...I don't know what--(anyone looking to do us harm isn't regarding the rules to begin with!)

I believe if you're in a pinch and need it quickly, for a fee (varies) you could get your passport(s) expedited faster than the 8-12 weeks it usually takes.

On the other hand when we applied for our passports the usual way they arrived in a little less than 4 weeks.

Citizens of the United States seem to be the ONLY inhabitants of Planet Earth who don't "get" that a passport is a universally recognized form of identification.

Just get one.

I agree with you, Merion_Mom!

I just don't get what all the fuss is about! There has been plenty of warning and the deadline has been extended, so just accept it and get on with life.

Why do some US citizens think they have a right to travel without a passport, when almost every other country in the world requires its citizens to have a passport, and when the US requires all non-US citizens to have a (machine readable) passport and to be fingerprinted on arrival in the US?

It has nothing to do with being a citizen or a taxpayer. My own country requires me to have a passport, both to exit the country and to re-enter it.

The requirement to have a passport is part of the increase in security measures, and the US is way behind most of the rest of the world in this. I am over 60, and have needed to have a passport for the whole of my life.

I just regard the cost of obtaining a passport as part of the cost of travelling - it is only small, less than $10 a year over the 10-year life of a passport.

This cost is far outweighed by the benefits of being able to travel and gain experience of other countries. And the entry and exit stamps in the passport make good souvenirs and reminders of journeys past!

Celle

Amen, Merion Mom!!!! You said it so well! Those of us in the USA are SPOILED!!!!! It is more than time for us to catch up to the rest of the world! Suck it up and get the passport. Period. (This is not intended for the OP who already has one, it is for those who want to procrastinate! -I have sailed through customs and immigration with my passport while those with BC's and photo ID have waited in long lines. You can only help yourself!)

FACTS:

1) Needed before Jan 1, 2007?- If you could travel to where you are going before with a BC and gov't issued picture ID, as long as you return by Dec. 31, 2006, you still can. I HAVE IT IN PRINT ON RCCL CONFIRMATIONS FOR CHRISTMAS 2006 BOOKINGS!

2) Gov't is delaying date?- There is a bill in the Senate proposing such a delay. It has not even been to the HOUSE and a vote in the Senate is not even scheduled. Chance of passage at this point, slim to none. If you are returning to the US after Dec. 31, 2006, by sea or air you MUST have a passport. If you going through a Canadian or Mexican LAND border crosssing you must have a passport to return to the US after Dec. 31, 2007.

I don't get all these 'AMENS' being handed out. And then the long post from Celle about not understanding what all the 'fuss' is about.

There is no 'fuss'. If either of you had actually bothered to read the actual question and my responses, as well as others responses, there is no fuss as to having to have a passport.

The ENTIRE point of the post was that I had heard (from a TA) that RCI (and other cruise lines) was enforcing this regulation BEFORE the U.S. regulated date. I didn't fully believe this information and could not find anything corroborating this online through any normal searches.

Now, because I have a passport, this wouldn't have an affect on me. However, at the time of posting the question I was unable to find my passport as I had misplaced it in my house (and had previously looked all over for it).

Since I'm sitting just about 3 weeks out from my cruise I wanted to make sure I would be OK with just my birth certificate in case I could not find my passport in time. It was necessary for me to find out if the rumor I had heard about RCI enforcing the policy early was true so that, had I been unable to find my passport, I could go down and get a new one expedited.

I wasn't complaining about the regulations and I don't see anyone else complaining about the regulations. I see people debating over when exactly they go into effect, not the fact that they will go into effect.

Please.. if you're going to respond to a question posed, rather than jumping on the high horse immediately, at least take the time to understand the question asked.

Some of us prefer not to be lectured on things we never said.

I just regard the cost of obtaining a passport as part of the cost of travelling - it is only small, less than $10 a year over the 10-year life of a passport.

There will always be those who are upset when paying out money. In my case, a family of 4 costs $358 in one whack. The kids' are only good for 5 years. My DS will need to get another $82 one as he will still be under 16 when his expires so his cost for 10 years will actually be $164, and my DD will be able to get her 10 year one when hers expires in 5 years. Can anybody explain to me why they would only issue an "Under age 16" passport for 5 years?

Don't get me wrong, I believe that passports are a good idea but that initial layout of $$ can sting to some people.

As for processing times, the Passport web site says this:

How long does it take to get a passport?

Processing times can vary depending on workload and occasional unforeseen circumstances such as natural disasters. During busier times, such as the summer travel season, we encourage customers to expedite their applications if traveling in less than 8 weeks. See Processing Times for more information.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/fri/faq/faq_1741.html

I think the reason for the 5 years for under 16 is because the looks of children change so much. Think of a baby, then how the baby looks in a year or two, much less the 5 years. By the time a child is 16, they pretty much look how they will (give or take a few pounds etc.) Makes sense to me that a child passport is only good for 5 years.

I do understand how the cost does add up though. I guess though that is is part of the cost of vacations outside the US. We in the USA have been spoiled by not having to use passports for many of our trips, although my family has had a passport for many years.

Enjoy your cruise.

There will always be those who are upset when paying out money. In my case, a family of 4 costs $358 in one whack. The kids' are only good for 5 years. My DS will need to get another $82 one as he will still be under 16 when his expires so his cost for 10 years will actually be $164, and my DD will be able to get her 10 year one when hers expires in 5 years. Can anybody explain to me why they would only issue an "Under age 16" passport for 5 years?

Don't get me wrong, I believe that passports are a good idea but that initial layout of $$ can sting to some people.

As for processing times, the Passport web site says this:

How long does it take to get a passport?

Processing times can vary depending on workload and occasional unforeseen circumstances such as natural disasters. During busier times, such as the summer travel season, we encourage customers to expedite their applications if traveling in less than 8 weeks. See Processing Times for more information.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/fri/faq/faq_1741.html

I believe, but I have not read anywhere that this is true, the reason under 16 yr old passports are only good for 5 yrs is that they grow up and change their apperance more than older people. That is especially true for the real young children (0-10 yrs old).

Archived