Flight Upgrades

I have some miles on Continental and wanted to use them for a ticket purchase. Unfortunately, I'm short about 6,000 miles to purchase a ticket. Now I was thinking of purchasing regulars fares and then trying to use the miles to upgrade to first class.

My question for everyone, do you think it's worth using my miles to fly from Newark, NJ to San Juan, PR first class. Or should I save the miles until I have enough to purchase a ticket at another time?:confused:

We have cashed in miles for first class tickets to San Juan several times...its a long flight and I think it is worth it. Also, in today's market, your miles could go poof anytime and I don't want to be caught holding a lot!

Buy the tix and use the miles to upgrade. Its the only way to fly. I don't know about Continential, but its about 15,000 miles each way to upgradeon American. I can't stand coach and if you have the miles or money, go for it.

p.s. On American, if you are short miles, you can buy miles. If its not a lot of miles, usually end up being cheaper to purchase the miles you need rather than paying for a coach ticket.

We are going on a cruise in March. We didn't have quite enough miles for our last ticket. It is on American Airlines, we were able to do a reduced fare ticket. We used so many miles and then payed the reduced fair to purchase the final ticket. It was still a great price.

M&M,

I have over 60,000 miles saved on Continental so I think I'll try to do what you did and buy normal fares, then upgrade to first class for both the tickets. My daughter doesn't like to fly and being in first class nonstop would make it a little easier for her.

I'm just waiting for the airfare prices to (hopefully) go down a bit more in the Fall. Then I'll book for sure.

Thanks for all the info, greatly appreciated.

If you want to reduce the fare, but use the miles - you can buy miles from Continental, here are the details. I'd take a close to free ticket before I use miles to upgrade (IMHO).

Mileage Purchase Option

Purchase up to 25% of the miles needed for any OnePass reward on Continental Airlines requiring at least 20,000 miles. Please keep in mind that:

Miles are purchased in 1,000-mile increments at $32 (plus tax) per increment and are non-refundable.

You need to purchase miles at the time your travel reward is ticketed.

Use your credit card for convenient mileage purchase payment when redeeming online or requesting a reward over the phone. (This option does not apply to International Airline Partner rewards or promotional rewards.)

You also may be required to pay taxes assessed on such purchases.

I'm going to follow up on my last post since I thought of it more. It seems that you'll be paying $32 X 6 to get your 6,000 miles. Now if your ticket is above $600 that wouldn't be a bad deal, but I see you're flying out of EWR and it seems ya'll in the NE Sometimes have great fares to San Juan (unfortunately it's less of a possibility to get great fares from TX). So if you've got a great fare, I'd pay the fare, blow off the First Class upgrade and use the miles for a future flight especially if you can the advance (reduced) mileage flights. I manipulate my miles in so many ways it sometimes gets confusing (I think many can understand).

I'm going to follow up on my last post since I thought of it more. It seems that you'll be paying $32 X 6 to get your 6,000 miles. Now if your ticket is above $600 that wouldn't be a bad deal, but I see you're flying out of EWR and it seems ya'll in the NE Sometimes have great fares to San Juan (unfortunately it's less of a possibility to get great fares from TX). So if you've got a great fare, I'd pay the fare, blow off the First Class upgrade and use the miles for a future flight especially if you can the advance (reduced) mileage flights. I manipulate my miles in so many ways it sometimes gets confusing (I think many can understand).

You might also want to check with Continental FIRST to see if you can upgrade. I'm also flying to/from EWR to San Juan next May, and when i asked about upgrading one way, they told me that they don't have any avilable seats to upgrade to on my flight home. Your best bet might be to call them directly, and see what's available...that may make your decision for you.

I think upgrades are one of the best ways to spend miles. You might want to check with Continental about the ability of upgrade seats though if you haven't already and make sure your ticket is eligible. American will let you upgrade any fare with miles, but several other airlines restrict the use of miles for upgrades to higher fare classes (more expensive) and I'm not sure if Continental is one of those airlines or not.

After this week of airline changes, I'm thinking first class is a necessity! I usually bring at least a liter of water onboard and end up drinking it all in flight. Now that I can't do that, I know I can at least get frequent glasses of water in first class! Do it!

We frequently use miles to upgrade to First Class. On short hops.....it's coach every time.......but if the flight is over 2 and a half hours, we try to get upgraded. It does not work all of the time..........but better than 80% for us.

Rick

Archived