Expired Drivers License?

VampyBuff

I just recently turned 21 (June) and not having a car at the moment, never put the effort into renewing my license... I have a valid passport, and my expired ID and was wondering if I'd have a problem boarding the NCL Spirit to the Eastern Carribbean and Bermuda this Sept.

The only time it's ever presented me with a problem has been at some liquer stores...Any time I've used my credit card, or anywhere else, I was never questioned.

Any suggestions?

I just recently turned 21 (June) and not having a car at the moment, never put the effort into renewing my license... I have a valid passport, and my expired ID and was wondering if I'd have a problem boarding the NCL Spirit to the Eastern Carribbean and Bermuda this Sept.

The only time it's ever presented me with a problem has been at some liquer stores...Any time I've used my credit card, or anywhere else, I was never questioned.

Any suggestions?

If you have a valid passport then you're fine because that is another form of ID. Actually it is the preferred form of ID as well as it is your proof of citizenship. Some people when they travel only carry a passport and no DL or other form ID because that is THE BEST form of ID you can have right about now. After Dec. 31, 2006 it will be required that you have a passport for land/sea travel, so you're fine! :D

Happy Sailings!

Larita is right on. A passport is the best ID you could have. It eliminates the need for the photo ID (driver's license), as well as a birth certificate. Your cruise documents need to be in the same name as on the passport, and you're good to go!:)

We have taken them, just in case, but people prefer to use for your passport as ID at the airport and on cruises. Make sure you make a couple of copies of your passport and keep them in a seperate place in case the worse happens and your passport gets stolen. That also goes for any cards you take with you. We've never had any trouble, but it's better to be safe than stuck in a foreign port without something for ID.

Happy sails

Spikesgirl (yes, that's exactly what it means)

I agree that your passport is the best possible identification you could have. But you really should get the license updated too. My niece tried to buy alcohol the day AFTER her 21st birthday, and because she didn't have her updated license, they wouldn't sell it to her. That license technically is expired and no good.

Yes, getting on a plane or cruise ship, the passport is the preferred ID. But consider if you’re going ashore during a cruise. Our passports go in the safe and stay there till its time to go home. True, we have any been to Mexico and Canada, but I can’t imagine the trouble if you were to loose a passport during an excursion. Renew the license or get a state ID card.

Any suggestions?

Valid Passport is fine. Do you realize that if you wait too long to renew your driver license that you may have to start from the beginning again?? written and road tests??

An expired driver's license may not be useful for identification purposes. I remember using mine once for i.d. purposes (not for a cruise, I think it was for check-cashing in a store) and the cashier would not accept it even though its expiration had nothing to do with its usefulness for i.d. purposes since it had my picture on it and was clearly mine. (It had only expired a few days before and I didn't even realize it had until the incident; I don't drive very often.) So, to be safe I recommend getting your driver's license updated (or some other state-issued picture i.d.). You never know when someone will want two forms of i.d. and will not accept "just" a passport, no matter how definitive a passport should be for identification purposes.

Archived