Not looking forward to our cruise on Arcadia

cruiser20

Hi There

After reading all the reviews I can find on Arcadia I am very apprehensive about going. Firstly we are a couple in our twenties, and according to most reviews we will be about the only ones. Not that I mind this but some reviews said there is no life or atmosphere on board after dinner at all. We booked out cruise 10 months ago and I have been looking forward to it for ages, now the reviews have really worried me that we will not have a good time/enjoy the ship.

We know it wont be a party holiday and to be honest are really looking forward to relaxing but it would be nice to sit in a bar at night with a varied age groups 20/30/40/50 s. One person described as and old people’s home. Just wondered if this is correct, if so we might cancel?

Help

We were on Arcadia in April and had a fantastic time. We're not as young as you - in our early 50's - but we're always lively and up for a good time - and boy did we get one! We only once got to bed before 2am - we were quizzing, dancing and sitting up with new friends every night.

It has to be said there won't be loads of couples your age but there will be a wide range of ages onboard. We absolutely LOVE Arcadia - have done 2 cruises on her with 2 more booked - she has become our favourite ship. She is contemporary, sophisticated and not brash like so many others.

Go with an open mind and be prepared to make friends with other passengers of all ages, and you might be very surprised.

We are in our 30's and traveling on Arcadia in September.

We have also read a number of reviews both positive & negative.

We were in Mallorca a few months ago when Arcadia docked and we took the oppurtunity to see the age profile of people getting off the ship and found it to be very mixed. But the majority of people are older as you say, and people under 40 are going to be in the minority.

Having said that, some of the most fun people we have met on holiday over the years, have been older.

We are looking forward to our cruise and will do everything we can to make sure we have a good time, one way to look at it, is that if everyone is in bed by 10pm - just think no queues at the bar's and you will be able to request all of your own favourites in the nighclub.

But somehow I doubt it. Dont forget reviews are written by a small percentage of the passengers and it would be terrible if eveyone liked the same.

I'm sure that you will both have a great time - I certainly would not cancel.

Steve

Yes, you will be in the minority age-wise but you should still have a great holiday. The pub and nightclub on board are always busy until the early hours, there is entertainment at the Globe and the Palladium and the ents staff work very hard to make sure everybody on board has a good time.

Next time though, book yourself on Oceana if you really want to have fun or even Ocean Village which is very much aimed at your age group.

Well, as an older person myself (mid 50’s) I am shocked at your ageist comments.;)

What exactly were you expecting? Conga lines around the pool on a sea day? :eek:

A holiday is what you make it – if the nightclub is almost empty and you are the only two dancing – would that be a big problem? If the other dancers are of the vintage variety – is that a problem?

You are there as a couple and it is up to the two of you to make it the holiday you want.

When my husband and I book a holiday we don’t fret about what others will be doing, we get out there and ‘do our own thing’.

Of course the type of cruise you are doing will have some bearing on the age group, I would expect to find a slightly lower age range on a Caribbean cruise than for example a Fjords cruise.

If you are really that bothered about the adverse reviews then cancel and rebook on the Oceana or Aurora, which are more family orientated

and will have a lower average age.

I don't normally post on the P&O UK threads but I'm going to come to the defence of cruiser20. I didn't think he/she's comments were ageist. He/she even said that they didn't mind the fact that there would be an older group of people on board but just wanted to know if there were things to do after dinner. Isn't that what these boards are for? To ask questions of people that have already experienced it? They also state that they don't expect it to be a party cruise. I'm older than cruiser20 & younger than you(mid 40's) and I have to admit that I like to meet people of my age as well as people of other ages. And I have to admit, I wouldn't want to be the only couple in the night club.

Cruiser20, from the other responses on this thread I'm pretty sure you'll have a great time. Just go with an open mind and relax & enjoy. And please, when you get back, come back on here & let us know how it went.

Karen

The sentence regarding 'ageism' was 'tongue in cheek' hence the ;)

It is unlikely that they would be the only couple dancing - treat my post with humour, as it was intended.

People on the same cruise will experience it differently depending on their own outlook - I agree with you, the OP

needs to go with an open mind.

I was on Arcadia mid-late May on a cruise to The Canaries,I am 44 and hubbie 55 . Have a look at our photosite of the cruise -www.sveale.photosite.com.

Ummmm, well there weren't many in the nightclub I'm afraid about 10, so we tended to go to the show in theatre after our 2nd sitting meal, then up to the Crows Nest for cocktails from midnight.

A cruise is what you make it. The ship is MODERN...CONTEMPOARY..NEW...and CHILD-FREE (yipee) so you will have a relaxed time, sitting on deck around the pool with a beer or cocktail while the sun shines with no little- ones screeching and jumping into the pool - The £1 million worth of art is modern, the food is great, the cabins are immaculate.... You will visit great ports and do your own thing..It will be fantastic.!!:)

Have you been onto the p&ocruises.co.uk website yet?, and logged into 'cruise connections. On there is a MESSAGE BOARD AND ONBOARD FORUM - a chat forum and you can ask lots of questions on the ship/ports of call/dress code/dining etc, and the experienced cruisers will help you with answers.

Sue

Hi

We are booked on arcadia in august and we are late twenties and early thirties, I do not think you will be the only young couple onboard but i am not expecting it to be club 18-30.

I will let you know what we find when we get there !!!!

Now I thought Arcadia was brash, slightly vulgar and lacked peace and quiet. I really was not impressed.

But then my idea of hell is probably a nightclub - dreadful places - and I missed the quiet corners that I am used to on board.

I'm 40, for what it's worth, but would have said just the same when I was 20.

(I also thought that the food and service in the main restaurant was dreadful.)

Now I thought Arcadia was brash, slightly vulgar and lacked peace and quiet. I really was not impressed.

But then my idea of hell is probably a nightclub - dreadful places - and I missed the quiet corners that I am used to on board.

I'm 40, for what it's worth, but would have said just the same when I was 20.

(I also thought that the food and service in the main restaurant was dreadful.)

It's interesting how we all see things differently, but I really don't see how you could describe Arcadia as brash and vulgar, since the decor is muted and subtle. She is must more tasteful than the likes of Oceana.

It's interesting how we all see things differently, but I really don't see how you could describe Arcadia as brash and vulgar, since the decor is muted and subtle. She is must more tasteful than the likes of Oceana.

She is, in my book brash and vulgar - but that includes the perception of the whole experience, not just the physical look.

I note that you have been on a short trip on QE2. Now there is a ship that is regal. What a difference!

I haven't been on QE2 - going in October, but fully expecting her to be rather dated, though still comfortable.

I haven't sailed on QE2 either, but having been invited to lunch on board and a tour of the ship, I agree she could be best described as dated and comfortable. Much like the Canberra when we sailed on her a few years before her demise (although obviously built for a different clientele).

I understand that both QE2 and Arcadia have loyal followings.

My wife and I recently returned from a 7 day Norwegian Fjords cruise on P&O's Arcadia. It was a super cruise, fantastic scenery and weather and a very enjoyable and happy ship. I will be writing a full review but to answer your question the passengers on our cruise were a very mixed age group and certainly not all oldies. On the next table to us at dinner was a family celebrating their son's 21st birthday and we saw many other 20's and 30's on the cruise. While we were on first sitting for dinner we were in the Crows Nest one night to see the ship leave a fjord and enter the North Sea and it was packed with people enjoying the syndicate quizz. Similarly after an evening cabaret show in the Globe that ended at nearly 11pm there were plenty of people that stayed on for dancing. Arcadia is a spacious contemporary ship and based on our experience you should have a memorable and enjoyable cruise. Don't let the P&O regulars that don't seem to like it put you off. Our only other P&O cruise was on Oceana which many P&O regulars also dislike, but we also enjoyed that one.

My wife and I recently returned from a 7 day Norwegian Fjords cruise on P&O's Arcadia. It was a super cruise, fantastic scenery and weather and a very enjoyable and happy ship. I will be writing a full review but to answer your question the passengers on our cruise were a very mixed age group and certainly not all oldies. On the next table to us at dinner was a family celebrating their son's 21st birthday and we saw many other 20's and 30's on the cruise. While we were on first sitting for dinner we were in the Crows Nest one night to see the ship leave a fjord and enter the North Sea and it was packed with people enjoying the syndicate quizz. Similarly after an evening cabaret show in the Globe that ended at nearly 11pm there were plenty of people that stayed on for dancing. Arcadia is a spacious contemporary ship and based on our experience you should have a memorable and enjoyable cruise. Don't let the P&O regulars that don't seem to like it put you off. Our only other P&O cruise was on Oceana which many P&O regulars also dislike, but we also enjoyed that one.

Hi floridakeith,

Glad to hear you had a good cruise to Norway on Arcadia and found it to be a happy and enjoyable ship. I will be interested to read your review when you post it, as we are doing a similar cruise next year on Aurora.

As a young family, obviously Arcadia is not available to us yet, but I certainly look forward to sailing on her one day. I note you are going on Aurora soon too, we would appreciate your comments about that one when you return.

Bon voyage ...

Hi,

Will be on the cruise on sept 1st i am in my twenties so is my partner also traveling with my sister and her partner in their twenties.

Should be a good cruise.

Some good ports.

We are on 1st sitting anyone want to change with us!!!!! for 2nd sitting

I have never been on this line and don't know if you have access to Carnival Cruises but our kids are your age and that is the only cruise line they have a absolute blast on.

And there is nothing wrong to want to be around people your own age. Apparently some people here forgot already what it is like to be young again. Hope you enjoy whatever cruise you decide to take.

Hi,

Will be on the cruise on sept 1st i am in my twenties so is my partner also traveling with my sister and her partner in their twenties.

Should be a good cruise.

Some good ports.

We are on 1st sitting anyone want to change with us!!!!! for 2nd sitting

I'm glad we wont be the youngest on board - But sorry we dont want to swap sittings.

Well I loved Arcadia... mind I am a newbie so nothing to compare her too!:D

But we loved her enough to spend our savings booking another one - cruising to The Med next June - we are not loaded, so this is total commitment!!

I loved the fact that she was new, contemporary with modern art everywhere, CHILD FREE, and the grub was good too - and we are fussy!

Enjoyed AR one week and The Orchid on the other week, nice to have a table for 2, as we were on a 8 in the main dining room.

photos on www.sveale.photosite.com

Sue:o

• 3 months later...

Have just booked onto Arcadia for the Med Medley next May 5th. Really looking forward to it, despite the many reviews I've read.

From what I can gather most negative comments seem to have come from experienced cruisers with high standards who are at odds with the atmosphere, decor and sometimes the service. My mindset is open minded and to me the whole concept sounds wonderful. On the whole the excellent pics I've seen of the ship really appeal to us (we like the modern styling), our standards are relaxed casual and we got the cruise for a good price and I reckon it will provide good value for money so any minor discrepancies in service we'll overlook. As for the atmosphere well that's really what you make it I think! We certainly won't be drawing negative comparisons or tolerating any, enough, move on lets just enjoy this particular cruise for what it is! :-)

We're both in our early 30's and the age of others really doesn't bother us! We'll make the most of it regardless!

Can't wait.

Archived