Usual Last-Minute Buyer Needs Early Booking Advice

GuyInLA

I usually book my cruises within 4 weeks of departure... sometimes even less. I got an emailed offer from Princess a month a go for a cruise in late November. I put a deposit down, and full payment is due Sept. 10th.

What if I pay the full amount now (or anytime before sept 10) and on September 13th the fare drops considerably?

I can't imagine it will, as I'm spending $899 pp for an AB mini... but still, it's possible.

I understand that those last minute deals say "new bookings only", but I'm really just curious how Princess handles this. Do they in so many words say "tough luck" or do they give you some kind of compensation (onboard credit, refund, etc)

With Princess the policy seems to be after your final payment that's it for price adjustments. However, even if you have paid in full you can get a refund if the price drops prior. I had a price adjustment done 1 day prior to the final payment due date and I had paid in full. Princess refunded the difference and the online TA I used sent me a check for their share.

I would not pay in full until you have to. If the price drops you can usually get your tickets repriced. Once you have paid in full you don't have as much leverage, because they know you won't cancel.

Just put the money away and wait until final payment is due. Why would you make final payment early? It doesn't get you any benefits from doing it.

Definitely wait and that way, if necessary, you can cancel and rebook at the lower price without all of the hassles others are finding when trying to do so.

Just put the money away and wait until final payment is due. Why would you make final payment early? It doesn't get you any benefits from doing it.

Definitely wait and that way, if necessary, you can cancel and rebook at the lower price without all of the hassles others are finding when trying to do so.

Well, believe it or not I'm one of the few who likes to pay for my cruise by mailing in a check (and yes, it's possible). So I almost HAVE to pay a little early, to leave time for them to get the check.

OK, different idea. Why not make the check out to your credit card company early, then pay off your cruise on the date of final payment? That way you would be assured of getting the price drops?

We don't let the payment ever ride on the credit card after paying for a cruise. We just make out the check when the bill comes from the CC company and pay it in full. But we don't make that payment until it is necessary, just in case of price drops.

This is from my personal experience: If you book directly with Princess, they will honor fare reductions up to the due date of final payment. If you have already paid in full when the reduction occurs, but it's before that date, they will refund you the difference. Of course, you have to call them to refare it, as they won't do it on their own.

In my opinion, a reputable TA should do the same, but I wouldn't rely on it.

One thing to consider: When you refare your itinerary, you will loose any upgrades you might have gotten before and have to wait whether the upgrade fairy visits you again. (She did come through for me: I got an upgrade, went back to my GTY when I had them refare my itinerary, and a couple of days later, the fairy has been back with the same upgrade, just different cabin.)

I agree with 3 cats as you can get a refund if you paid in full before the final payment date. A good TA should and I emphisize "should" do that work for you but if you book on your own you can probably get the fare reduction refunded to you.

I have even received an e-mail offer from Princess after final payment with a substantially less fare for my cruise and they have refunded me the difference. (About $600!!) :)

Archived