Sending Parents on a Surprise Vacation

PhotoGal07

My parents 25th Anniversary is coming up and I would love to send them on a cruise, they've always wanted to go on one, and just haven't been able to yet. The only problem is that my father has trouble getting around, and needs to use a scooter for any sort of distance and a cane the rest of the time (i.e. to get from one end of the house to another). Do you think they would be ok on the ship? Is there anything I can do to help make their vacation easy and stress free other than get a handicapped room? I have to admit I'm slightly worried about my father trying to move around the cabin or a restaurant with his cane, he's rather unsteady and I worry about the problems of the added motion of the ship. Thanks!

Check with the cruise line(s) you are considering. Onboard scooter rentals should not be a problem. Most ships have handicapped cabins.

My father has serious mobility issues that are about the same level as you described for yours. He and my mother had a good time on their last cruise (HAL). They took his folding wheel chair and enjoyed themselves in a regular (i.e. not handicapped rated) balcony cabin.

I would not suggest using a cane in the public areas, including the dining room. A wheelchair or scooter is much safer. Not because of ship motion but because of all the people.

My parents 25th Anniversary is coming up and I would love to send them on a cruise, they've always wanted to go on one, and just haven't been able to yet. The only problem is that my father has trouble getting around, and needs to use a scooter for any sort of distance and a cane the rest of the time (i.e. to get from one end of the house to another). Do you think they would be ok on the ship? Is there anything I can do to help make their vacation easy and stress free other than get a handicapped room? I have to admit I'm slightly worried about my father trying to move around the cabin or a restaurant with his cane, he's rather unsteady and I worry about the problems of the added motion of the ship. Thanks!

I use scooter all the time because I have MS..the only problem is get a handicapped room so he can rid scooter into bathroom..otherwise there is a 6" step up on most ships. Otherwise, everything else is accessible ...I love HAL and always have been very happy there. I do not tender because of the hassle but some do that also.

I think its a great idea for them.

I would also suggest getting a wheelchair accessible cabin (book VERY far ahead!!) and either taking his scooter or renting one for use on the ship.

Are you planning to accompany them on this cruise? Making it a family event would be even more fun, and that way you could also help your father if he needs assistance (and not have everything fall on your mother).

If he is very unsteady with a cane he should also be using a walker or a rollator to keep from falling and breaking something. A cane isn't much support and the others he can sit on if necessary.

Archived