Canada/New England 2007

I am having trouble finding a cruise to Canada/New England in Sept. or Oct. 2007. I first chose Norwegian Dawn and then RCCL Jewel of the Seas but now I see that neither are going. We were planning to leave from Boston or New York as we had never visited these two cities. We would like a fun ship (but not Carnival this time), sorta new and large. Can you help?

Or, you can wait until next spring and see what 'specials' come up. Prices begin to drop and most of the itineraries begin to look good! :)

If you don't have to have a specific cabin, this is the best way to decide. Too many choices, otherwise.:eek:

I had that same problem last year '05 when I started looking for the cruise to do in '06. HAL had their schedules up first, but RCI said they weren't doing Canada/New England at all in '06 and advised me to check their sister company Celebrity. NCL and Princess were late posting their cruises too. I finally settled on Celebrity back in Sept '05. Booked it and paid, then in January RCI came out with a schedule for Canada/New England. A lot will depend on just where you want to go too. I wanted to do Quebec or Montreal, that's what started me to looking at HAL. HAL's 10 day cruise was about $500 more than Celebrity's 11 day. Princess was about $500 more than HAL for a 10 day. Another poster suggested making a list of the things you would like to see and do, then check each cruiseline to see which one did most of the things you wanted to do, then if price is involved that will narrow down the field. NCL and Carnival stick mostly to the US with one port in Canada (like Halifax) on a 7 day cruise. Have fun planning, and good luck finding one you really like.:p

NCL Dawn - Sept 2/07

11-Day Canada & New England

New York, New York

Boston, Massachusetts

Bar Harbor, Maine

Halifax, Nova Scotia

At sea

Quebec City, Quebec

La Baie (Saguenay River), Quebec

At sea

Corner Brook, Newfoundland

Sydney, Nova Scotia

At sea

New York, New York

In 2002, after I had back surgery, my hubby had a heart attack, daughter got married, and son joined army, we decided we needed to "get away." Found unbelievable deal for NCL Montreal to Miami. Never had been to that area and it was a last minute thing (4 months).

In June we decided to go for a car trip to New England and see some of the provinces, and then we came upon the cruise from Quebec to NY... 'last minute price' was a great savings! And not stuck in a low level cabin, either! (now doing a road trip in area, then taking the cruise, then continuing for a couple of days. Will get to see everything we had planned to, and then some!)

So, when you think of 'last minute' it's really within about 100 days... and the deals can be very good! Of course, if you have to have a certain level cabin, maybe this isn't for you. But if you just want to "GO" then it can't be beat!

Now, I'm trying to get hubby to think in terms of always doing last minute trips... less decisions to make and I HATE making decisions!:D

Celebrity has a Canada/New England cruise on 10/10/07 and it is 13 days long. It is on the Constellation which has some of the best reviews on these boards. Check into it.

Sounds like a great itinerary to me.

DayPorts of CallArrivalDepartureWednesday, October 10, 2007Cape Liberty Cruise Port (Bayonne), New Jersey--05:00 PMThursday, October 11, 2007Newport, Rhode Island08:00 AM04:00 PMFriday, October 12, 2007Portland, Maine09:00 AM07:00 PMSaturday, October 13, 2007Bar Harbor, Maine07:00 AM05:30 PMSunday, October 14, 2007Halifax, Nova Scotia10:00 AM06:00 PMMonday, October 15, 2007At Sea----Tuesday, October 16, 2007Quebec City, Quebec10:00 AM--Wednesday, October 17, 2007Quebec City, Quebec--11:00 PMThursday, October 18, 2007Saguenay River07:00 AM10:00 AMFriday, October 19, 2007Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island12:00 PM06:00 PMSaturday, October 20, 2007At Sea----Sunday, October 21, 2007Boston, Massachusetts07:00 AM06:00 PMMonday, October 22, 2007At Sea----Tuesday, October 23, 2007Cape Liberty Cruise Port (Bayonne), New Jersey07:00 AM--

Note: Cruise itineraries are subject to change.

That NCL Dawn itinerary looks fabulous, and NCL won't be as expensive as

Celebrity, HAL or Princess. I would definitely look at this one. Wish they had done Quebec this year, that would have ended my search a lot sooner, and probably saved me about $500 per person. Good luck.:D

That NCL Dawn itinerary looks fabulous, and NCL won't be as expensive as

Celebrity, HAL or Princess. I would definitely look at this one.

but you give up Quality for the cheaper NCL.

LHT28,

I haven't noticed a large difference in quality from HAL to NCL to RCL to Carnival. Other than NCL doing the freestyle dining. I don't ever go to the specialty restaurants, as I've paid for my meals in the cruise fare and don't want to add more to the price of the cruise. Carnival seemed to have a younger crowd (beer drinking contests and limbo contests by the pool) lots of drinking and rowdiness, but other than that my balcony cabins were all comparable in size and cost. Plenty of shows, food, & shore excursions. HAL did seem like a little nicer ship with the chimes to dinner and the deck boys walking around in their little Phillip Morris suits and the teak promenade all the way around the ship, but probably wouldn't have paid extra for it. I haven't sailed Celebrity yet, but of those I have sailed, I found them all to be pretty much the same. Certainly not worth paying $500-$1000 more to go on any one of them, unless the cruise was a lot longer. Just my opinion though.:D

This is the cruise we have booked for 10-18-07 on the Grand Princess: Canada & Colonial America - Quebec City to Fort Lauderdale

This itinerary features a 16-day cruise with 9 ports of call.

Board in Quebec, then the Saguenay River Cruise, Corner Brook, Sydney and Halifax in Nova Scotia, St. John New Burnswick, Bar Harbor, Boston, Newport, New York City, Norfolk, Baltimore, Charleston and ending at FLL

This is my idea of the near perfect cruise, seeing the sites up north, although I will probably be a bit cool and ending in the nice warm state of Florida. Can't wait!!

twocats,

That sure is a long cruise, 16 days on a ship? I don't know if I could handle that. I'm worried the 11 days will make me antsy. The longest I have been on is 7 days, and I was bored the 3 days at sea. I love the port days, but you can only walk around the ship so many times before you become bored. Plus, I can't imagine the cost of a 16 day cruise. I won't cruise without a balcony, so that puts the cost up there. But that's why they have such a variety, to try and please all the different tastes people have. I'm sure they wouldn't do a 16 day cruise if there weren't people out there interested in taking it. Enjoy your cruise.:p

I'm really looking for a 7 day because I want to fly to the port (Hopefully, New York or Boston) two days before to tour that area. I wish they would hurry up and decide as I really like booking far in advance that way I don't notice the amount of money it costs. I tend to pay every month that way it seems cheaper. Let me know if you all find anything in that range. I'll keep looking too.

Thanks

Hi -

We're booked for the Spirit Canada/New England October 14 - 20!

Come on along, it'll be fun. If you want to extend the cruise, there are one night dinner cruises the day before and the day after. :D

Love your screen name, our Dawn rollcall was the Cruisin Fools - one of the reasons we chose this Canada cruise was that we can visit a Fool at each port of call :p

Prices are set by the cruiselines-you will not find different prices on the internet or by different TA's. Expedia, Travelocity, etc are just on-line travel agencies with good marketing! Use who you like!

Sorry, I beg to differ. Talked to our TA earlier this summer, and she said pretty much what this new article said, on the different lines. (I also was conferring about group sales, so it rang true to the article in that respect, also.)

On the Mex. Riviera cruise we took, we got a discount for our fare, (5%) and a cousin got free transport to the terminal from hers. Of course, she just lives 150 miles, while we live 2000+/- miles... On the NE/Canada cruise, we got a sale price and then the discount.

• 4 months later...

We went on the Grand Princess in 2005 New York to Quebec City, 10 days. We thought it was a great cruise. We then took the train to Montreal for a couple of days and then a train to Toronto for a couple of days. Hotels close to the train stations in the heart of town. Great way to travel in Canada.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Archived