Is this too formal????

onlysister

I am going on my first cruise 4/29/07 on the Adventure of the Seas. I won this dress on an ebay auction and now I don't know.....I have tried to just put a picture on here, but I cannot figure out how to do that...but if I could get a few of you to check on ebay item #110017429027

It shows a tan colored dress, but I was thinking a dark sky blue, or goldenrod....Of course the dress will be much bigger. :(

If anyone is a whiz at adding pictures, you would be more than welcome to try to for me. Thanks. Oh and give me your opinions on this please.

Dawn

The dress is beautiful. I think it would be fine to wear on formal night and very appropriate. I'm taking two long formal dresses and my husband will be wearing a tux. You will be amazed at the variety of dresses from the simple (but nice) to the designer dresses that had to cost a mint.

Oh Thank You Everyone. After I won the auction, I wasn't too sure. I knew I thought it was beautiful, but then I didn't want to overdo it. This is one of those ebay stores from China where they custom make dresses and I thought I would try it. After I get it I will let everyone know how it is.

Dawn

Thank you...

I have been going through ebay for the last couple of months and found a lot of custom made dresses from china but some of them looked really cheap and then this company started showing up and their dresses looked really nice, at least in the pictures. I believe they are china-ekt. You can probably go to the store through the number I posted in the first post. I have to send them my measurements and then I think it will probably take about 4 weeks to get the dress. There is another dress I am bidding on too. will find out about that one tomorrow. This should be interesting....I will let everyone know how it turns out.

Dawn

Cindi....

Thank you so much for posting the picture. I am so computer illiterate..I tried everything and couldn't get it. Unfortunately my kids have all left home, last two went into the army this summer. I usually have them do these things for me.

If this dress turns out half as nice as it looks I may have to have my mother check for a dress. She will be going on the cruise with us. One of my brothers will be getting married on Antigua and he paid for our mother and his soon to be wife's mother.

Dawn

WOW, I just checked out her store on EBay. Some really beautiful dresses. http://stores.ebay.com/China-Ekt_Prom-Dress-Chinese-Qipao_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZQ2d1QQfsubZ20QQftidZ2QQtZkm

It would be hard to choose. I love the dress you won in auction. Let us know once you get it. Anxious to hear about quality etc. They seem to have good feedback.

Dawn, I want that dress when you are done with it. I LOVE it. I just bought a used one today for my cruise. Wouldn't it be nice if there was a place to sell/exchange dresses here. We all need new gowns for each cruise. Can't have formal pictures in the same dress on different cruises can we :eek:

Your gown is lovely and I don't think it is too formal at all, you will look beautiful.

I don't take gowns like that along simply because I don't care to pack them or have them take up most of the closet. Just another thing to consider when you are planning a wardrobe for the week.

I loved that picture and that is a very pretty gown. In that champagne color it could be a wedding gown for a second marriage I do believe.

but as far as being too formal-even on Carnival and Royal Caribbean you see women dressed in these gowns and men in tuxes-I would say at least 20-25% of the women go "all out" on formal night. On Celebrity it would be more like 35% are dressed up that much. (women and men)You will not feel out of place at all and I am sure you will get many compliements.

I bet it is gorgeous in navy also.

they come in all sorts of colors. I had a hard time deciding which color...I think I am gonna go with goldenrod. I won another one on ebay which I think I will get in black. I better do my measurements and get them sent off so I can get these dresses and see what they really look like.

Will post when I get them.

Thank you for all the responses.

WOW, I just checked out her store on EBay. Some really beautiful dresses. http://stores.ebay.com/China-Ekt_Prom-Dress-Chinese-Qipao_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZQ2d1QQfsubZ20QQftidZ2QQtZkm

It would be hard to choose. I love the dress you won in auction. Let us know once you get it. Anxious to hear about quality etc. They seem to have good feedback.

What a beatutiful dress and that website could get me in trouble! I found so many dresses I want.

I know, isn't it terrible.....So many to choose from. I was completely stumped. I picked 3 and bid on them. won 2 auctions. I haven't heard from anyone on cruise critics that has bought a dress from China so I decided to just try it.

I don't think you can overdo it, if you like it and it looks good on you, then go for it. I love to see the folks who go all out and enjoy themselves. I especially love to see the folks that stay dressed and go dancing after dinner. Makes getting all dressed up worthwhile.

Yes, the dress is gorgeous! If I go back about 20 years, and mind you I am 49, I remember when at least 80% of the gents wore a tux. These days, you are lucky to see 20% wearing a tux. Ugh. I don't know why the dress code has changed so much, even over the past 10 years!

Thank you everyone for your help. I will post another thread when they come in. I have bought some jewelry from their web site also. Now, just need to send my measurements and get it started. They will probably be here before I get my passport. must not procrastinate any longer....monday at lunch time, go there and fill out paperwork....

How on earth do you pack something like that? I know they make clear plastic drycleaner-type bags that are long enough for something like that, but they don't make garment bags that long, so how do you transport these long dresses for travel?

Inquiring men want to know... :)

How on earth do you pack something like that? I know they make clear plastic drycleaner-type bags that are long enough for something like that, but they don't make garment bags that long, so how do you transport these long dresses for travel?

Inquiring men want to know... :)

Hmmm, not a dumb question at all, cause it's maggggiiiiiccccc. LOL. Wife uses a nice long garment bag, wraps each of her dresses in the thin plastic dry cleaner type bags, and my tux and uniform as well. We carefully lay the stuff in the garment bag, zip it closed and off it goes to the ship. Once there, we unpack as soon as possible, and hang the stuff up, haven't had to deal with any wrinkly problems at all. FWIW, YMMV.

Hmmm, not a dumb question at all, cause it's maggggiiiiiccccc. LOL. Wife uses a nice long garment bag, wraps each of her dresses in the thin plastic dry cleaner type bags, and my tux and uniform as well. We carefully lay the stuff in the garment bag, zip it closed and off it goes to the ship. Once there, we unpack as soon as possible, and hang the stuff up, haven't had to deal with any wrinkly problems at all. FWIW, YMMV.

Well, I was thinking that I've never seen an actual garment bag long enough to accommodate an ankle length garment, but I guess an ankle-length dress for an average-sized woman probably isn't any longer than a full-length overcoat for an average sized man, and I do have a garment bag that fits my overcoat... I don't know what a tall woman would do, though.

Archived