Walking to the Golden in Venice

We plan on walking to the Golden Princess on October 5 from Piazzale Roma after spending a couple of days in Venice. We would like to embark early, drop our luggage and return to Venice. Does anyone have suggestions on what time we should begin our trek?

Nancy

We walked it without luggage. It's about a 15 minute walk -- without luggage (there's a bridge, but no steps). We saw people walking it with luggage and that was in July (whew!). Of course, there are taxi cabs at Piazzale Roma... Have a great time!

We walked from the Golden over to the Piazza Roma in July 2003. There is an incline from the dock area up to the bridge and then down from there to the Piazza. The sidewalk was not very even and would make it tough to pull luggage especially if you have more than one rolling piece per person. I would suggest getting a land taxi, readily available in the Piazza Roma area, to make the short trip over to the dock. The cost should be minimal and the wear and tear on your feet, back, shoulders and emotions will be minimized.

The distance isn't far and I would suspect leaving at 10 AM would be too early IMHO.

Have a great next cruise.

This reads from the Venice for Visitors site. ((Actually I think the shuttle busses (free) are available everyday there is a cruise ship in port. Just grab a Princess rep at Piazzale Roma and tell them you want on the next bus.))

From the Piazzale Roma:

Marittima is only a couple of minutes from the Piazzale Roma by taxi. A free shuttle bus normally runs on Saturdays, Sundays, and Mondays during the cruise season, or you can ride the #6 bus to the port entrance. (Buy your ticket in the ACTV office in the Piazzale Roma.

You can walk to Marittima from the Piazzale Roma in 10 to 15 minutes. Just follow the road that leads to the causeway and turn left at the port entrance after you cross the railroad tracks. If you're adventurous and aren't hauling luggage, you can save time by walking along the sidewalk street below the southwestern edge of the Piazza (past the Garage Comunale) until you reach an old steel footbridge with a sign (in Italian) that says "authorized persons only" or words to that effect. This will lead you to Marittima's back entrance. Warning: The bridge is rusty with holes and patches, so walk carefully and avoid the bridge if you're heavy or wearing high heels. Also, the port police may not let you use the bridge from the Marittima side, probably because the cruise authorities don't want to be responsible if you fall through."

I've been over this bridge twice with luggage and don't remember it being rusty with holes and patches.....????....or feeling like I was going to fall thru! But it is easy to find your cruise line's bus if needed. Actually last time we were on Oceania and took a HAL bus- without a problem. :)

Archived