Poll: Should Carnival go all casual?

Should carnival do away with Formal nights?  

185 members have voted

1. 1. Should carnival do away with Formal nights?

• They should go to casual dress every day.
    • They should have optional Formal nights
    • I'd never cruise on a ship that was all casual.
    • I'm undecided!

You need more choices...

Alternative formal dining on everyship, everynight. When that bombs, an alternative dining venue that is strictly formal a couple of nights, and otherwise who cares.

NCL is close with the freestyle on the Sun. On the optional formal nights, one dining room is dressy, the other is who cares.

Alternative dining - it's not just for peasants; it's for the snooty's, too!

Went with undecided b/c the others just didn't fit.

'Formal' wear just does not fit into most peoples lifestyles. Last time I was in something 'formal' was my little sisters wedding - 23 years ago.

Plan a cruise, and then have to spend money for 'formal' wear or I get punished and banished to the buffet? Because my clothes don't suit you?

No shorts, no t's - should be that way at dinner. But good, clean resort casual should be acceptable. Dress to the nines if you like, and enjoy it, but it's not for everyone. Heck, I'll even save my best resort casual for 'formal' night!

People can still 'dress up' without going formal. Me thinks the 'formal' thing is way blown out of proportion.

I wanted to do the poll but it did not have the option to have 1-2 formal nights (keep the same.) We loved dressing up (so did my 4 boys) Tuxes on kids draw a lot of attention!

No one make you eat in the dining room on formal nights! :)

I voted with optional cuz we are first time cruisers come October and neither my boyfriend nor myself are dress up kinda people, a nice shirt with jeans for him will usually do and the same for myself. I am not lokig forward to formal night on top of the fact that it wil lbe a huge added expense for us that is nto inthe budget, but i also dotn want to go to buffet, so we are thinking well do our best and at least go to formal one night. He voted for just eating room service, which we may just end up doing..

I picked "wouldn't cruise all casual," but I actually might consider that, depending on the circumstances. I like the way things are. We don't have much other opportunity for dressing up, and I think the formal nights add to the whole atmosphere of elegance and being catered to, which is a part of cruising that I love.

Carnival is "The Fun Ships" not the snooty dress like a monkey ships.

There are plenty of other cruise lines that are more high end and cater to those who want the elegant experience.

Go cruise those!

Carnival's target market is younger, more youthful, more active and families.

Not older, stuffy or wealthy.

The demand for suits/ties and/or a tuxedo for a youthful and family demographic is just silly. For those who just say "Go buy a suit or tux," how many kids do you have to buy one for? I have three kids, so if I take my family I have to buy all new suits/tuxes and/or dresses for the children (they grow you know).

It's impractical and unrealistic for the target market they're seeking.

T's and shorts should not be allowed, but going to the other end of the spectrum is not any better. Find a more realistic middle ground

There wasn't an option for those who think it's fine how it is. Formal night is already optional... nobody has to dress up. There are plenty of options for those that don't want to. I think it's fine exactly how it is... and apparently the majority of people on cruises think so too, since the majority of them seem to show up for formal nights.

It's fine like it is. And even if that option isn't available it'll probably get the most votes. As long as formal isn't formal in the strictist sense, tux's. If that would mean formal than probably it would be rejected.

Don't mind a suit but don't own a tux and wouldn't plan to rent one on board so would eat at the buffet.

Went with undecided b/c the others just didn't fit.

'Formal' wear just does not fit into most peoples lifestyles. Last time I was in something 'formal' was my little sisters wedding - 23 years ago.

Plan a cruise, and then have to spend money for 'formal' wear or I get punished and banished to the buffet? Because my clothes don't suit you?

No shorts, no t's - should be that way at dinner. But good, clean resort casual should be acceptable. Dress to the nines if you like, and enjoy it, but it's not for everyone. Heck, I'll even save my best resort casual for 'formal' night!

People can still 'dress up' without going formal. Me thinks the 'formal' thing is way blown out of proportion.

Just curious why no shorts, no t's?? Why should anyone have to be "banished to the buffet" because their shorts and t's don't suit you?

They should either have a formal standard or not. Then people know what to expect. If you stay at the Greenbriar, you know ....no blue jeans (ever, period) no blue jean shorts (ever, period) no t-shirts (ever, period)~ collar shirts only and coat and tie after 6pm and this includes children. If you don't want to abide by those standards, then don't go to the Greenbriar.

If you don't want to abide by the standards on Carnival, then don't cruise on Carnival. But don't dumb down the experience for everyone else, because you don't want to be "banished to the buffet".

Personally, I believe that Carnival should just do away with the formal stuff all together. They are obvisouly not a cruiseline that is ever going to cater to a crowd that can handle it.

There are plenty of other cruise lines that are more high end and cater to those who want the elegant experience.

Go cruise those!

T's and shorts should not be allowed, but going to the other end of the spectrum is not any better. Find a more realistic middle ground

If Carnival shared your POV, then they would not have formal nights at all, would they?

Personally, from what I have seen on Carnival ships, the dress code is widely ignored.

And why is this poll not on the Carnival board where it belongs?:(

I live in florida and in beach communities even where very casual restaurants have signs up, ""no shirts, no shoes, no service," except of course for theoutside beach bars ... many places besides cruise ships have dress codes..some required, not even just suggested... I have been to restaurants where men are required to wear jackets, and the restaurant keeps a supply of them, just in case you need to borrow one..so why the uproar over the cruise ship having dress codes in some of their dining rooms?..they accommodate everyone by having all the alternative dining venues..

I voted "undecided"...

Even though I abide by the current suggested "required" dress code, I really don't care what others are wearing.

If the dress code were all casual, I would do that.

I, personally, don't really care what others wear.

If Carnival shared your POV, then they would not have formal nights at all, would they?

Personally, from what I have seen on Carnival ships, the dress code is widely ignored.

And why is this poll not on the Carnival board where it belongs?:(

When I replied, it WAS on the Carnival board

It was moved here

neener neener

I agree with the other posters who think it is fine the way it is. I do not think that the policy is the issue - but rather the enforcement of the policy. Since Carnival goes to the trouble of having a policy - you would think that they would enforce it. They certainly do not seem to have these issues when it comes to the specialty restaurants. :eek:

Honestly, cruisers who do not want to follow the recommended guidelines for the dining room don't have to - there are plenty of other options. But, I do not think think that khakis and a collared shirt is unreasonable for regular nights when you are having dinner - nor is at least a coat and tie for formal night. No one says that you have to do a tux and gown.

For us - it's all part of the "cruise experience". I really do not see why it is such an issue. It's not like the recommendations/guidelines are not published :cool: .

What I really wish is that Carnival would enforce the policy that they have uniformly - fleet wide. But I'm guessing that will never be....:rolleyes:

I like it the way it is.

It is really not a big deal to put on a pair of casual slacks(dockers, not jeans) and a nice polo shirt so you can look good for dinner.

I enjoy the formal nights, if you don't want to get dressed, then go to the buffet, if you want to be waited on, then get dressed. That's the price of admission.

but, thats just my opinion.

vincenzo:)

Based on my last several Carnival sailings, I believe that Carnival has already gone casual...at least there was no enforcement of dress code rules in the dining room on any night....therefore I assumed that Carnival was a casual cruise line...let me say that what some of my fellow Carnival cruisers believe as casual would not be accepted on most other cruise lines...I am not anti-Carnival and do sail with them but do not agree with the lack of any dress code and enforcement of such:cool:

Go cruise those!

Wow, you're not only misinformed, but seem prejudiced against anyone that can afford some more luxury.

Reverse snobbism..... anyone that doesn't cruise Carnival and/or likes a formal line like....say, HAL, Regent, Diamond etc is a "snooty monkey".

Personally, my favorite line is Oceania, which is luxurious and elegant and ALWAYS casual - NO formal nights. Yet also a clientele that knows enough not to show up at dinner in clothes more apprpriate for poolside or afternoon activities.

The other line I can't wait to sail on is Windstar - also high end, gourmet food and caters to a high end clientele - yet also casual. Again NO formal nights, ever.

So yes, I want a cruiseline that is high end and caters to those who want a luxury experience and I don't want any formal nights.

Formal and high end do not necessarily go hand in hand.

Honestly, I think it's the people on the mass market lines that are more attached to the formal night concept. For many of them - as I've read on the fashion board - it's their big chance to get dressed up, so they love it.

A couple of years ago I posed a similiar question on the fashion board - bascially asking that if the Formal Night seems to create such angst for so many as well as a financial hardship for some, should the lines just get rid of it? The overwhelming response was NO. Most people like it. (yes I realize that the CC board is only a small % of cruisers, but it does represent significant numbers)

Personally, DH and I could go on a few cruises and not need to buy a thing for the formal nights - we have enough formal events in our day-to-day lives - and would prefer not to schlep along the evening wear. When we cruise a line, like Princess, that has the formal nights, we "go with the flow" and bring the finery because I feel it's the appropriate thing to do.

The demand for suits/ties and/or a tuxedo for a youthful and family demographic is just silly. For those who just say "Go buy a suit or tux," how many kids do you have to buy one for? I have three kids, so if I take my family I have to buy all new suits/tuxes and/or dresses for the children (they grow you know).

I agree with you here.

However, since from what I've read on these boards and have heard from people, so many of the Carnival Cruise Crowd ignore the formal dress code, it doesn't matter anyway.

People on mass market lines with formal nights don't have to deck their children out in formal wear. Bathed, hair combed, neat & clean clothing, long pants and a button down shirt for the boys and a skirt and top for little girls is more than acceptable.

Archived