Clothes Missing

betmust

Yeah I know that. You will know at what point that your bag was broken into either at the pier or at the airport. It does not stop anybody but at least you know where to begin your complaint.

My bag went missing for one month after my cruise in Dec. The airline had been in it probably more then once. I was amazed that when I got it back there was not one thing missing.

Carrie

A little known tip about placing a print out of your info and itenerary inside your suitcase. If you do this please seal it inside of a ziplock bag. Years ago I was traveling and my suitcase got wet from the rain when they were loading the airplane, including my itenerary and the ink from it got on some of my clothing. If you use an inkjet printer put the printout in a 1 gal ziplock bag. So it is still clearly visable, but it protects your clothes in case it gets wet.

I little known tip about placing a print out of your info and itenerary inside your suitcase. If you do this please seal it inside of a ziplock bag. Years ago I was traveling and my suitcase got wet from the rain when they were loading the airplane, including my itenerary and the ink from it got on some of my clothing. If you use an inkjet printer please out the printout in a 1 gal ziplock bag. So it is still clearly visable, but it protects yoru clothes in case it gets wet.

You have to print this info on our 23rd Roll Call. I am going to print it on the one for our 16th too. I always print a ton of business cards with my itinerary, hotel, ship and dates and toss them all over inside my suitcases. Until I just read this. :eek:

From now on they go in the littlest plastic snack bags. ;)

Two years ago after a cruise we got home to find 2 pairs of my black capris missing. So now we bag everything. We purchased packing plastic bags that zip lock shut. At least its going to make it hard to figure out what were have plus if the airline goes through it they are not wrinkling up all my clothing. Never had a problem since we started using them. I love them!!

I had trouble with the Tampa airport. TSA opened my suitcase immediately after I checked it in, and I was still at the counter! I walked away, figuring this was okay. We were extremely early for our flight, and there were hardly any people at the airport check-in. When I got home, I first noticed that they DID NOT replaced my zip-tie, there was no letter inside (as I have found in the past), and they opened my daily vitamin container, emptied out all my pills, and messed up all my folded clothes. I am a "neat nik" and was astonished at the mess they left! I did not notice that anything was stolen. When I check my bags onto the cruise ship, I use double zip ties. I figured it would take them too long to have to cut two! I also do this when I place luggage outside cabin for departure. It makes me so upset about how people are today!

You may be on to something. Next time I pack my suitcase the last thing I put inside which will be the first thing they see if it is opened will be a couple of pieces of underwear with clearly visible skidmarks on them. That'll teach them.....:eek:

LMAO! :D :D

I had trouble with the Tampa airport. TSA opened my suitcase immediately after I checked it in, and I was still at the counter! I walked away, figuring this was okay. We were extremely early for our flight, and there were hardly any people at the airport check-in. When I got home, I first noticed that they DID NOT replaced my zip-tie, there was no letter inside (as I have found in the past), and they opened my daily vitamin container, emptied out all my pills, and messed up all my folded clothes. I am a "neat nik" and was astonished at the mess they left! I did not notice that anything was stolen. When I check my bags onto the cruise ship, I use double zip ties. I figured it would take them too long to have to cut two! I also do this when I place luggage outside cabin for departure. It makes me so upset about how people are today!

I just flew in June on Delta. The airport I use, Rochester, NY goes through every single passenger bag by hand. They do not have the larger machine. I am used to this and we always arrive long before our flight.

The lady took my luggage from us and said to to me that she had to cut the cable ties. I said fine, because I know you replace them with a different color anyway. Well, surprise. She told me they no longer have them and unless I could give her some, the bags would be unlocked for the whole trip. I always carry a bunch of extra ones in a small outside pouch on the luggage. I showed them to her and my luggage arrived in Vegas cable tie locked.

If you can, leave some of the cable ties where they can see them when they open your luggage.;)

I have a friend who had 2 bags never show up after a trip and was not nearly reimbursed for the contents.

I always use packing cubes so no one is going through my stuff--so far they do not appear to have been opened, but after our last cruise the 2 luggage straps around our 2 bags were gone when we collected the luggage at the port and 1 bag was ripped to pieces.

i lock ours up if airline needs in,they have a key,and havent had any problems yet thank god:))):p ,ive heard of people getting things taken after they left it out on last night,which is soooo disrespectful and callous especially after they tipped people all week long,shame shame shame:mad:

Ok - y'all will just have to be nice to me if you don't like my undies (not that I ever intentionally show them!) - from now on I am only taking ratty old bras and panties on my cruises - VS bras cost like $40 or more each - I am not losing those! So, if you see me and I am looking a bit ratty, you will know why! ;)

I think this problem is only going to get worse with increased security. Ladies, you know how expensive our makeup and hair products are, I HATE the fact that I may have to check them, UGH!! My checked bags have been "lost" soooo many times. Gosh, I can see Clinque, John Paul Mitchell, and Biolage (sp?) making a lot of $$$ off this :eek: :(

###

hey, hearing this makes me hate checking my luggage. my hubby and i almost never check it, we do the carry-on thing. now with new terror threats, we must check it and our iPods, cameras, cell phones too. It will be like a digital buffet for those few baggage handlers that are criminals.

I would rather be safe and check it if that helps TSA but why are these creeps not video monitored? i wish you better luck on your next trip!

Only inthe UK are people being asked electronics. AT least for now. I've flown twice since the recent scare and have no problem carrying on ipod, laptop, etc.

TSA locks may be nail clipper proof, but that doesn't mean they can't be cut off.......

Jodi

This is true but, it takes more than a pair of nail clippers to cut them off.

You'll never stop a determined thief if they want to get into your bag. I'm sure that the skeleton key the TSA uses to open TSA approved locks has managed to get into the hands of someone who is not a TSA agent. I'm sure that there are a few thiefs who carry bolt cutters that will go through the TSA lock without much effort. It's just a little tougher to get through and might slow a thief with a simple pair of nail clippers down.

In the beggining, there were a lot of TSA's that were not familiar with the locks and a lot of them got cut off. That problem seems to have mostly gone away at this point.

i lock ours up if airline needs in,they have a key,and havent had any problems yet thank god:))):p ,ive heard of people getting things taken after they left it out on last night,which is soooo disrespectful and callous especially after they tipped people all week long,shame shame shame:mad:
bubbadog, I think that's one HELL of an assumption on your part!

Why do you assume that a cabin steward has filched things out of the bags in the hall??

The list of suspects is endless, and I, frankly, would start with your fellow passengers!

:mad:

I am really scratching my head on this one, I am not sure why anyone would want anyone else's clothes? I had a bridal shop and I would not buy the used gowns brides tried to unload on me, why would anyone want used Bras? How do you really know they did not fall between the cushions or behind the couch or some odd place you would not think to look? I mean used clothes have NO real resale value. Now I can certainly see why they go after electronics and such, but clothes?

Several yers ago several family members did a round trip cruise on Celebrity from NY. Since they were from NYC there was no airplane invovlement. Several items of clothing were missing when they got home to Staten Island...

bubbadog, I think that's one HELL of an assumption on your part!

Why do you assume that a cabin steward has filched things out of the bags in the hall??

The list of suspects is endless, and I, frankly, would start with your fellow passengers!

:mad:

I totally agree with you Merion Mom! Look to our fellow passengers.

The Stewards don't want our stuff---plus they have a lot to lose doing something like that. Fellow passengers though have little to lose and the thrill of pilfering must be significant---shoplifting on the high seas. Think about it for a second; if you saw someone going through a suitcase in the hall, all they'd have to say if questioned was "oh I forgot to put this in there".....A Stateroom Attendant is wearing a uniform. With passengers who's to say who is in their own luggage or not except the person who belongs to that luggage?

Leslie

Man....that would bite knowing your bag was inspected and having something missing. We (for the first time) when we got luggage delivered to our cabin had the little inspection notice in one of our pieces of luggage. But, only things we had in that suitcase, was...yes, believe it or not...our 2 pillows (yep we pack 'em everywhere we go, can't sleep w/out them) and some shoes and sunscreens and lotion type stuff...so that bag was unimportant for them to steal anything..LOL

I am really scratching my head on this one, I am not sure why anyone would want anyone else's clothes?

I can see somebody taking them to give to a girlfriend or such especially in a underdeveloped county like some of the cruise line employees come from. This is why thrift shops thrive! :)

We've never had anything stolen, but we seem to leave a "donation" every cruise we take. I once left some clothes behind and I know exactly where I left them, on top of the bed and then probably threw the blankets up to make the bed neater to continue packing. It was in the am before debarkation.

It does seem odd to me that people would be missing just clothing, do you imagine there are people just grabbing and running off with the clothes they can instantly pull out? I think if I were a thief on a ship, I'd take the whole case back to my cabin and sort through it. No one would be the wiser, with all the luggage being taken away.

We do one last run-through, checking under the bed, behind doors, in closets, under the towels in the bathroom, the balcony, every drawer. We almost always find an item we're sure that we had already packed. We now even pull the covers off the beds, just to check there was nothing was laid out and then covered up!

When disembarking a ship, you can lock it up (not that that would deter a real thief!), you just have to remove the locks once you get to the airport.

We always identify our bags with 2 luggage tags, not one. There is no way for the airline to track your bags back to you with the tags they stick on, it is only tracked to the receipt they give you. We also put the itinerary inside each bag, even carried items. The tip to put this in a ziploc was a good one.

Always, always, always take your old tags off your bags before your next leg of travel. I've read where people have had their bags go on another cruise, since the cruise tags were still applied. It's the main reason bags go missing, they have several destination tags and no identification on the bag.

I've read where people have had their bags go on another cruise, since the cruise tags were still applied. It's the main reason bags go missing, they have several destination tags and no identification on the bag.

So if I lock myself in my suitcase I might get to stay on the ship.....:rolleyes:

On one of my cruises our neighbors caught someone trying to steal items out of their bag at night after they put it outside their door. luckily they caught them. but maybe it was not tsa and instead someone stole them on the cruise?

Not in our case. We use the zip ties and TSA locks always before we put them out. That way we know if they are missing that someone on the ship checked our luggage (which has never happened). Everything was still in tact when we picked up our bags and went to the airport. So it was either TSA or airline personnel as the ties were missing but lock still locked when we got our bags in O'hare. Process of elimination. I did file a claim with TSA and forgot about it until about 8 months later a check arrived in the mail!! I was shocked as I had forgotten about it!

Archived