Buenos Aires shore excursion

GAJE

DH and I will be on the HAL's Rotterdam for the Jan. 11. 2007 to South America and Antactica. We are now reviewing options for shore excursions. We originally thought about the "Best of Argentina" in Buenos Aires which involves visiting Estancia La Fortuna for a tour and barbecue. It is a 10 hour tour during the 14 hours we will be in Buenos Aires. Has anyone done this and can give us a review? Are there any other recommendations someone could make about tours to take there? Any help would be appreciated, as always.

Thanks, Betty

I have been to Buenos Aires twice. If this is your first time there I would highly recommend that you take a tour of the city. The city has a european amience to it and there is so much to see. If your ship is there overnight and offers a tango shore excursion I would highly recommend that as well. The tango isn't just about the dance but is also about the singing and wonderful music.

Sorry I can't comment about the specific tour you are considering as we spent our time in Buenos Aires.

Keith

We took that tour (believe it's the same one) in January 2006 when on the Amsterdam with the same itinerary as yours.

We had a fabulous time on the ranch. They had a beautiful spread of parklike land on which we both took a wagon ride and strolled about. The BBQ was excellent and afterwards there was a good musical show. That was followed by a competition by the ranch's horsemen. Some of my enthusiasum for the tour was enlivened by the gorgeous weather for the day. The only downside was the 2 hours spent in transit each way. I remember looking up the ranch on the web before we went; you may want to try that.

You're going to have an absotely fabulous cruise; I wish we were going with you!!

Jim

This excerpt from my cruise log posted elsewhere: (From HAL Rotterdam, Jan 2006 cruise.

Carlos was great! Couldn't ask for a more thorough guide. Be sure to book early enough to get him. He is very busy.

Day 20---Thursday, January 26, 2006 BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA

Today we met Carlos Vitro of Privatetours for our tour of Buenos Aires. It was a delightful day with Carlos, We visited the Plaza de Mayo and it’s Casa Rosoda (pink house) where Argentina’s president works and from where Juan Peron and Evita spoke to the masses, the Metropolitan Cathedral and San Telmo. We went by taxi, coastline train on the Tren de la Costa and a trip on a catamaran through he Delta islands on the Tigre River. We had delightful lunch with a tango demonstration in La Boca—great steak which was included in his tour price. In La Boca, a very colorful neighborhood, houses are built with corregated metal. Especially on Camenito Street, historically the bright colors came from the shipyard workers who brought home leftover paint for their homes. We also toured areas of San Isidro, Palermo, Puerto Madero, Recoleta Cemetery where Evita was buried, and many other areas. It was a delightful day for the four of us. He shared with us good places to eat and other sights to see for our return visit in a few days. Carlos was a great tour guide. Our cost was $80 pp with everything included.

This excerpt from my cruise log posted elsewhere: (From HAL Rotterdam, Jan 2006 cruise.

Carlos was great! Couldn't ask for a more thorough guide. Be sure to book early enough to get him. He is very busy.

Day 20---Thursday, January 26, 2006 BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA

Today we met Carlos Vitro of Privatetours for our tour of Buenos Aires. It was a delightful day with Carlos, We visited the Plaza de Mayo and it’s Casa Rosoda (pink house) where Argentina’s president works and from where Juan Peron and Evita spoke to the masses, the Metropolitan Cathedral and San Telmo. We went by taxi, coastline train on the Tren de la Costa and a trip on a catamaran through he Delta islands on the Tigre River. We had delightful lunch with a tango demonstration in La Boca—great steak which was included in his tour price. In La Boca, a very colorful neighborhood, houses are built with corregated metal. Especially on Camenito Street, historically the bright colors came from the shipyard workers who brought home leftover paint for their homes. We also toured areas of San Isidro, Palermo, Puerto Madero, Recoleta Cemetery where Evita was buried, and many other areas. It was a delightful day for the four of us. He shared with us good places to eat and other sights to see for our return visit in a few days. Carlos was a great tour guide. Our cost was $80 pp with everything included.

Gerena,

This post is so helpful - we are needing someone just like Carlos in Bs As. What a wonderful time you had!

• 2 weeks later...

I also recommend Carlos for a day tour of BA.

A ranch is nice but if you only have one day in BA, see BA. Of course, people who prefer horses and ranches to big cities will disagree. But hey, that's what makes horse races! LOL!!!

BA is an incredible city and if you don't have the opportunity to see it at night, make sure that Carlos (or whomever you hire) takes you to lunch in La Boca where they have an informal tango show. There's usually one accordian player and a few dancers who perform for tips, so be generous.

Jane

• 5 weeks later...

Archived