hair help

sacway

How do you decide on a new cut? I'd like to grow my (fine) hair out a bit so it's longer and I can do more with it on our next cruise, but worry about looking too shaggy or limp between my shorter hair length and a bit longer style. Plus, with all the travel restrictions, it'd be nice to wash and wear and look okay.

Any ideas? I'm no Katie Curic, but two hairstyles since high school is probably more cautious than I want to be.

TIA!

Ohh, you just jumped into one of my expertise departments...:D

How short is it now - who/what does your hair look like currently?, (give celebrity hairstyle examples, as nobody will be able to advise or guestimate unless we have some specific examples to start with)...

What are you thinking about your ideal "growing it into" style (again celebrity or picture examples)...

You might have to just go through the growing out phase, but if I get more info, I can recommend products and styling to get you through.

I personally would recommend that you work towards the goal and cut that you are wanting to acheive and get to...

Then, just work it out with products and styling in the meantime...

And not worry about cutting it short just for the cruise.

More info and specifics, will result in better advice!;)

CJW

I have a good hairdresser who I feel comfortable letting have his way with my hair. If I tell him I want to grow it longer, he listens and then gives me a style that will wear well as it grows out. When I go in for color or highlights, I trust him to do something that looks great because he knows me and my personal preferences and what will work with my lifestyle.

How do you decide on a new cut? I'd like to grow my (fine) hair out a bit so it's longer and I can do more with it on our next cruise, but worry about looking too shaggy or limp between my shorter hair length and a bit longer style. Plus, with all the travel restrictions, it'd be nice to wash and wear and look okay.

Any ideas? I'm no Katie Curic, but two hairstyles since high school is probably more cautious than I want to be.

TIA!

How do you decide on a new cut? If you are tired of your cut that you have now, it is time for a new one. If you want a cut that is easy, try to think about what bothers you. If blowdrying your bangs everyday is a bummer, than maybe growing bangs out is the way to go (best thing I have ever done in my life!!) If you want to be able to put it into a ponytail and go on some days, it does need to be longer. Just think about what changes you would like to make and think of the solution.

I'd like to grow my hair out so it's longer and I can do more with it on our next cruise. Great idea! With the right hairstyle, you can wash and go and still look sexy and sassy. Get yourself to a hairstylist and explain yourself fully before they do anything to your hair. If they give you a blank look like they do not know what to do... leave. Fast. (If you haven't noticed, I am petrified of hairstylists!) Most are great and can help you grow out your hair with a style, so find one that has a great reputation and you are one step to looking great.

Any ideas? Curt is right, without knowing what it looks like, we cannot help. There is a big difference between growing out a crew cut and a bob. And then if you are growing out bangs, that is a whole 'nother hassle. All of this can be done with the right products and some cute accessories, but it is hard to give ideas without knowing what needs to change.

Get back to us with some information and we can try to offer you some specific suggestions that might aid you in your transformation!

If I'm thinking about a new style, I usually go through lots of magazines looking for women with hair like mine (straight and thick) and basically pull out any photos I find (short, medium, or long) that might work with my hair. Then I look at the pictures all together and throw away any I really don't like, that look like a lot of work, or whatever. I keep whatever's left and take them in to my stylist to discuss what might look good on me.

If I were you, I wouldn't view it as going from short to long. You have to think of it as a gradual transition. So look for a cut that's slightly less short than you have now and work toward it. Then re-evaluate and if you still want to go longer, adjust the style. Often, I've thought I wanted to go longer, but once I get to a certain length (especially in summer) I wonder what I was thinking. I just don't really look good with hair that's much longer than a chin length bob.

This method will help keep you from getting in that "It's growing out and I can't do anything with it" mentality. (At least, it works for me!)

Get yourself to a hairstylist and explain yourself fully before they do anything to your hair. If they give you a blank look like they do not know what to do... leave. Fast. (If you haven't noticed, I am petrified of hairstylists!)

Me too, that's why when I found a stylist I could trust, I've stuck with him for years. When I was a child, I had a hairstylist literally burn all the hair off my head accidentally because they didn't know what they were doing.

A really great haircut should grow out painlessly. If you feel like your hair is too shaggy, go get it cut, a good haircutter will know how to shape without taking off excess length.

So, be realistic, go to the best haircutter you can afford, stick with the same haircutter when you find a good one. If they are ever sick, on vacation, running late, whatever, wait for them.

As far as the best style for you? You will have to discuss that with the person that has the scissors in their hand. It can be trial and error, sometimes it take a couple of cuts to get it just perfect for your hair type, your face shape and your body size.

I found my new hairdresser thru friends at work. I gave him some guidelines: If he left it longer, I had to be able to put it in a ponytail; I wanted to disguise some of the more recent color I'm getting at my temples ;) without coloring; and it had to be managable for a hair-klutz with straight, fine hair. And let him have at it!

Details if you are interested: He cut it just below collar length in back, graduating up to near my mouth at the sides (think the "Friends" cut, but shorter). Then styled with root mousse, used the round brush & dryer to cox the ends under and threw on a bit of pomade (my new favorite stuff - gives the style more texture!) and finished by pulling strands over from one side to the other (zig-zag like part) that gives it more volume.

I love the cut, and I've meet one person who thought I was 10 years (or more) younger than I am!

I am 49 years old and never had a hairstylist consistently cut my hair in a way that works for me ... until recently! I was going to one of the priciest salons around (haircut and blowdry, no frills, was $85) trying to get the "best" cut but to no avail.

I wanted to try a salon closer to home that was more reasonably priced (still a good salon that uses high quality products, etc.) so here's what I did: I found a salon I thought might be good, then went in and observed a few of the customers and their hairstyles as they were leaving. Then I went to the manager and explained my dilemma ... short, no style, baby fine hair, klutz when it comes to styling, etc. ... and asked for an honest assessment of WHO in that salon might be most qualified to assist me. I have NEVER been that bold before! It paid off ... the manager selected a stylist for me, who then spent quite a bit of time talking about my "objectives" before starting to cut. She has cut my hair for a while now, and every single time I've been happy with it and, most importantly, have been able to re-create the hairstyle on my own at home! The cut grows out well and stays nice looking, not shaggy, even when I go way too long between trims. It has consistently styled easily and worked very well for my thin hair. I consider my new stylist a Godsend!

So you might consider doing something like this to find a new stylist who can help you as your hair grows out and can suggest a style that will work for you. Just be very frank and honest with the salon staff about what you want/need, and hopefully you will be directed to someone with expertise in your particular type of hair. It worked for me!

Good luck!!!

I am 49 years old and never had a hairstylist consistently cut my hair in a way that works for me ... until recently! I was going to one of the priciest salons around (haircut and blowdry, no frills, was $85) trying to get the "best" cut but to no avail.

I wanted to try a salon closer to home that was more reasonably priced (still a good salon that uses high quality products, etc.) so here's what I did: I found a salon I thought might be good, then went in and observed a few of the customers and their hairstyles as they were leaving. Then I went to the manager and explained my dilemma ... short, no style, baby fine hair, klutz when it comes to styling, etc. ... and asked for an honest assessment of WHO in that salon might be most qualified to assist me. I have NEVER been that bold before! It paid off ... the manager selected a stylist for me, who then spent quite a bit of time talking about my "objectives" before starting to cut. She has cut my hair for a while now, and every single time I've been happy with it and, most importantly, have been able to re-create the hairstyle on my own at home! The cut grows out well and stays nice looking, not shaggy, even when I go way too long between trims. It has consistently styled easily and worked very well for my thin hair. I consider my new stylist a Godsend!

So you might consider doing something like this to find a new stylist who can help you as your hair grows out and can suggest a style that will work for you. Just be very frank and honest with the salon staff about what you want/need, and hopefully you will be directed to someone with expertise in your particular type of hair. It worked for me!

Good luck!!!

Kathy . . . bless you! I have baby fine, thin hair. I've been going to the same stylist for the past two years and have never been really happy. I'll be leaving on the 30th of this month for my cruise (will be spending a couple days with my son in Miami before my September 2nd cruise). I've decided to go for broke and go to a new salon (more than three times what I now pay) . . . and cross my fingers. Actually, it's a salon in Georgetown (Washington, D.C.) that my friend has been trying to get me to go to for months. Your post sort of gave me the "push" to do what I've thought about doing for months!!!!!

I've been going to the same stylist for 25 years. She really understands my hair and what it will or won't due - nomatter how she cuts it. So she beings me back to reality.

She tries to update my look, but certain things she won't change because they won't work with my texture of hair.

She's the best!

I wanted to try a salon closer to home that was more reasonably priced (still a good salon that uses high quality products, etc.) so here's what I did: I found a salon I thought might be good, then went in and observed a few of the customers and their hairstyles as they were leaving. Then I went to the manager and explained my dilemma ... short, no style, baby fine hair, klutz when it comes to styling, etc. ... and asked for an honest assessment of WHO in that salon might be most qualified to assist me. I have NEVER been that bold before! It paid off ... the manager selected a stylist for me, who then spent quite a bit of time talking about my "objectives" before starting to cut.

Good luck!!!

This is a great idea! My mother did this for me when I was a teenager with long hair and wanted a perm (it was the 80's). She found out at her salon who specialized with long hair and made an appointment for me. She knew exactly how to piggy back the rollers and my hair came out great (for back then!)

Definately speak with the manager and explain what you are looking for right away. They know their hairdressers' strengths, and which ones would be better for you. This is a lot better than trial and error.

Reading these posts makes me think of the fact that I hate moving, mainly because of my hair. We've had to move a couple of times because of my husbands work. I don't mind finding a new gynecologist, dentist, doctor. But having to find a new hairstylist, when you love the one you had, well, there is just nothing worse. I love the stylist I have currently, I've been going to her for about 3 years (I have VERY difficult hair, kinky curly, thick and dry) and I have informed my husband that I will never move again (unless she does, then we go where she goes!!)

Barrettes and ponytails got me through my growing phase. I too have limp hair and I hate it. It's stick straight (now that curly is back in I'm crying in my beer) and hard to manage. Just hang in there and get a good layered cut that works for you. A stylist you trust is a good first step. Look for women with hair like yours that are in good styles and ask them where they go.

Kat in Texas, We would occasionally have a person do that in our salon and we really didn't mind. Sometimes the whole shop would get in on it and we would all decide which cutter would work best for them. There were times we would even send our own clients to another stylist in the shop if we thought they would do a better job for them. I do have to say, we were a small shop (8 stylists) and we had all worked together for years, it was like family.

Most hairstylists are not that egotistical and can handle their clients changing. The ones who have been in the business for a while and have a strong clientele are more likely to be that way. If you do find one that is so full of ego, steer clear of them, it's not worth the drama.

Just because a shop is expensive does not mean it is good. I work with a gal who gets a great haircut at a nail shop for $10. But, another co-worker with a totally different type of hair went to her and it wasn't so good. I've been to some in my neighborhood who people rave about and have spent a fortune on a cut, with poor results. There are gems out there in every price range.

When my clients would move, I'd advise them to pay attention to the people who live around them, check out their hair. If you see someone with a great cut, especially if their hair seems similar to yours, ask where they get it cut, be bold. Do you mind if someone tells you your hair looks great and where do you get it cut?

Finally, speak up to your hairstylist. If you love the cut, but would like a little thing tweaked, they cannot read your mind. Their feelings will not be hurt.

Yey for this thread! :D

Ok - I have baby-fine hair, and it's thinning. I can get it to look decent here in my dry climate, but the cruise will be windy and HUMID. Bad combination for me. My hair is wavy. I blow-dry it to straighten it and give it some volumn. Any humidity makes it frizz and wave. Are there any products out there that won't weigh it down?

I'm still looking for a stylist that I like. The last one I used cut about 14 inches off. She was suppose to cut just enough for locks of love. Then the perm she gave me was not good. She did not roll it tight enough and I even told her so but she said it was because I had her do a spiral perm. Well I've had spiral perms before and they were rolled tight. So I'm back to trying to find somebody else or drive 6 hours to see my old stylist.

As for finding a style I like, I do searches online for hair styles and go from there. Many of the sites want you to join or pay....I stay away from those. Good luck and hope you find the right one.

I too am growing out my hair. At that age where it is turning "unpigmented" (that is what my stylist calls it). DH pointed this out to me last weekend. There is alot of hair, but it doesn't hold well. It is very straight in some areas and then does the opposite of the way I try to curl it in others. Right now it is flat.....using barrettes to get by. Not sure how they look with the suits I wear, but oh well.....

I have been avoiding going to hairdresser (trying to save money for cruise in October). Should have been twice already since I went in June. Trying to go towards end of September. Not sure if I can make it another six weeks. I know she will give me a good cut, highlights and color. I trust her completely and have never been unhappy. She tells me when she has seen me at a store and the cut just didn't look right (funny to hear her critiquing herself).

Good luck and don't ever be afraid to go to a salon and ask for someone to take a look and make recommendations. They are there to help you, whether or not you spend money with them (at least this is how my salon makes me and others feel). I have seen my salon help many people who are trying to "recover from mistakes to their hair". It was pure luck that ended up at a salon that was rated the top in the country by Redken (I am so proud of them). I was there before they received this award and I stay for after they receive it. You should know the right place as they will make you feel like family.

ok, as a salon professional, i first need to say that generalizing "hairdressers" is just plain unfair. golly, some of these posts are just plain thoughtless. i work in a salon with a lot of stylists and some are top notch and some i wouldn't let cut my grass let alone my hair. growing out your hair is a process, it takes time, be realistic with your time-line and goals. you should get it trimmed even though you are growing it because lets face it ladies, split ends do not look good on anyone. and it will just feel better to have a fresh cut. to that end, a good cut will carry you through but a great cut will get you to your goal without feeling like you are waiting for the result. don't be afraid to talk to your stylist about your needs, we truly do want you to look and feel your very best.

be fearless ladies and have fun with your hair!

happy cruising!!!

Archived