Wearing shorts in SE Asia????

shaq

Does anyone know if one may wear shorts when exploring Bangkok, Ankor Wat, Langawi Malaysia and Singapore? We cannot remember seeing any pictures where people are wearing shorts. Obviously we know the correct dress code for visiting temples and shrines.

Does anyone know if one may wear shorts when exploring Bangkok, Ankor Wat, Langawi Malaysia and Singapore? We cannot remember seeing any pictures where people are wearing shorts. Obviously we know the correct dress code for visiting temples and shrines.

You may feel out of place wearing shorts. The outfit SCREAMS US tourist. You will be bothered by touts more, you may be targeted for scams and theft. Wear some lite weight cotton pants. You will be more comfortable with something on your legs and will be just as cool. Enjoy!!!

We have been to all four countries and, in some cases, more than once. First of all, no matter what you wear, you will stand out unless you are of the same heritage as the local population. The best advice that I would give you is to dress modestly but comfortably. Dress up a little bit more in large cities such as Singapore and Bangkok. This is wear you might wear a loose dress or light slacks. Modesty is important in Malaysia and Cambodia so don't wear skimpy shorts and halter tops. In parts of Malaysia especially those areas with a heavy Moslem population, it is best for a woman to wear a modest skirt and a top with shoulders covered. In the Malaysian capital of Kuala Lumpur, anything goes. If you are going to exploring Angkor Wat, you need to be comfortable. When we were there, lots of people and not just Americans, were wearing loose hiking shorts and t-shirts. It is incredibly hot and humid there - just no way that we could survive with slacks on. By the way, Angkor Wat is amazing.:)

First of all, no matter what you wear, you will stand out unless you are of the same heritage as the local population.

This point I will differ with you on. Cambodia and Vietnam are filled with Australians and Germans. Those two groups are investing heavily in the area and are rarely bothered by the pickpockets, scammers and touts. You very RARELY see them wearing shorts (even most backpackers).

I have been spending quite a bit of time in Vietnam and Cambodia in the last year (I am trying to buy a hotel in Phnom Phen and start an export business in Vietnam) and the people in shorts really do SCREAM American tourist. Sitting at the FCC in PP in April, you should have heard the waiters "here come the Americans" and giggling. I looked over the railing and sure enough, group of about 12, almost all in shorts (ages 35-60) and followed by a long line of street hustlers.

I really don't care what the OP wears, but they can blend in pretty easily in lite weight cotton pants and shirt and not be bothered as much.

Greatam - Thanks for the input. Our experience traveling in Asia is different than yours. C'est la vie. My husband and I were seldom really bothered by the touts and pickpockets because we always try to be street-saavy and pleasant (at least with the touts). We don't exclusively wear shorts but, in specific situations such as at Angkor Wat, it just makes sense. And, at Angkor Wat, there were Europeans - especially those under 40 - wearing shorts and capris. In the larger cities, we dressed up a little more. That's where the dresses and long pants came in handy. We have found that it's not so much the clothes that makes Americans stand out but the loudness in speech and, unfortunately, the size of some of our fellow citizens. Luckily or unluckily (depending upon one's view of the world), I'm often, before I speak, taken to be European. I agree with you that there are ways to blend in a bit more but, whatever you wear, a non-Asian will stand out. There are some benefits to standing out like the time we were in China and a man came up to us in a restaurant to talk about American basketball teams.

Good luck on your business ventures.:)

Excellent suggestions on the previous posts. Dress that is respectful of local culture and sensibility is always a good thing.

Two additional reasons to avoid shorts and, in some instances things like short-sleeved shirts: sunburn and the insect life. Even with insect repellent, I have found that shorts, especially in places like Angkor Wat, are simply an invitation to mosquitoes, etc., particularly at certain times of day.

and we didn't have any trouble with being targeted because we wore shorts. We were respectful when visiting a temple and wore appropriate attire, but otherwise we didn't have any trouble. Since my husband is 6'4" and I'm blonde, we didn't try to 'blend in'. We were just careful and went about our business. We found people generous and pleasant and loved all the countries we visited. Use common sense and dress comfortably for a very warm tropical setting in the summer.

Charlie

P.S. Only got one insect bite and that was when we were in dock in Vietnam. Although I did use Deet ocassionally, I was never bothered. Same with the sun - use a good sun block and apply frequently. Despite ample opportunities, we never burned.

We have visited several of the above places, some more than once.

As mentioned above, it is respectful to dress in a similar manner to locals. This means MODESTLY. This is especially true in cities.

In Thailand, the only locals we saw dressed in halters, minis, shorts etc were bar girls and those working in the sex industry.

Our guide book warned about this and my daughter and I packed knee length or longer skirts, lightweight dresses, cool cropped trousers, short sleeved (but shoulders covered) shirts etc. Husband and son mostly wore lightweight long trousers with short sleeved shirts. In cities such as Bangkok, the "respectful" locals wear clothing like this and business suits, the "others" do not. Guide book also used to advise that travellers crossing borders should be dressed modestly and cleanly when presenting themselves to Immigration, otherwise they could run into problems. They maybe still do unless things have changed. We were last in SEA, including Vietnam and Cambodia in Jan 05. Our first visit to Thailand was in 2000.

In places such as Ankwar Wat there may indeed be lots of tourists wearing shorts etc, but ttourists there are likely to be in the majority and the locals are probably so used to it they accept that thats what tourists wear, but in other towns and cities, where locals outnumber tourists, people will think less of you and probably show less respect if your clothing indicates that you are not a "respectable" person. The way you dress sends out a clear signal as to whether you are "respectable" or "available".

No flames please from those who disagree with the above comments. Sometimes women do not realise that the way they dress in some cultures gives off signals they would not want to give.:o

I should amend that my shorts are to my knees and my shoulders were always covered and I did wear dresses on ocassion, but tend to dress modestly as a rule. My huband did have an experience of a woman climbing the Great Wall in a tee shirt and thong bathing suit bottom. Yeah, let's talk inappropriate.

And you shouldn't have to worry about being flamed - here or anywhere else because of what you say or think. I may not always agree with others, but it is their right. You go.

Charlie

Guide book also used to advise that travellers crossing borders should be dressed modestly and cleanly when presenting themselves to Immigration, otherwise they could run into problems. They maybe still do unless things have changed.

Oh, how true this is. I have crossed the China/Vietnam border and the Vietnam/Cambodia border numerous times in the last 10 months. Have seen lots of backpackers and other tourists also crossing the borders at the same time. The really scruffy looking backpackers (shorts, unshaven, halter tops, etc) are always in a LOOONG line for extra scrutiny. The tourists in shorts, tennies and t-shirts are in a LONG line (not quite as bad as the backpackers). Those in long pants or skirts with polo shirts/similar type tops and REAL shoes breeze right through. Perception is everything in SE Asia.

If you are going on an organized tour (Princess cruisetour/ship excursions or something like Viking), you will not be bothered as badly by the street hustlers. But if you are doing TRULY independent travel, long pants/skirts can certainly save a lot of hassle, even in tourist heavy spots like Angkor Wat. There aren't a lot of touts, hustlers in Angkor. But the minute you return to Siem Reap dressed as an AMERICAN tourist, and especially around the market, you can easily have a whole line of street hustlers following you around and being VERY agressive.

This topic makes me smile. Folks have no problem wearing shorts into the dining room on a ship, but than worry about looking like a "tourist" in Asia? I have lived in Asia and trust me that you will be spotted as a tourist no matter what kind of pants you wear (or even if you go nude). So what! Here is the news. You are a tourist, so stop worrying about looking like a tourist and just have fun! Just dress for the weather and wear whatever is comfortable. As to the last comment,,, well, you will be on a cruise ship and not going through border crossings. Asia is a wonderful place so just go with fun in mind. Besides, when in Vietnam would you rather have them say "here comes the Frenchman" as opposed to "here comes the American." Guess what. We do look different and they do "profile" in Asia. Like I said, just have fun.

Hank

We were on a Princess Cruises tour in Bangkok. Some people wore shorts, but when we got to the Grand Palace they were denied entrance unless they covered their legs. Rental clothing was available- saris for women and crazy looking pajama bottoms for men. My wife was wearing capri pants and even those were not acceptable.

You are right on with the Grand Palace. We were told ahed of time that suitable clothes were required and it also said that on our tour packet. There was no way you could misintrepret this. We had three gentlemen that were on our tour that insisted upon wearing shorts and they were stopped (believe it or not at gunpoint) and made to put on shorts. The tour guide even made us take photos of them and slung a couple of barbs their way during the tour. As I said before, I try to be respectful, but gave up trying to 'blend in' a long time ago.

Charlie

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned from Cambodia and Viet Nam, so I will add my 2 cents.

At 5'6", I am as tall as most of the men, and at 6'3" my husband is a giant over there. People stared at us as we walked down the street, pretty much everywhere we went except for Siem Reap because there are so many tourists there anyways. So forget trying to "blend" with your clothes, it ain't gonna happen.

In Hanoi and Saigon, we dressed as we would in any major city, which means pants and tops, not shorts or tank tops. Didn't ever see a local in either. In fact they were mostly dressed in short sleeve shirts and jeans, but I wouldn't recommend jeans as they are way too hot. I cannot stress enough the importance of wearing fabric that breathes, because it is so hot there and you will sweat like crazy.

The only people we saw in shorts or tank tops were youngish tourists at some of the rural sites like Angkor Wat in Cambodia or My Son in Viet Nam, where you do lots of walking in the heat. Most of our group wore pants or capris with tshirts or collared short sleeve shirts. Polos tend to be too hot. We wore linen pants and big white linen shirts and were very comfortable, plus it provided us with the much-needed sun protection. They washed easily and dried fairly quickly. The tshirts we washed took almost 3 days to dry because of the humidity.

The one day I wore capris I regretted it because I scratched up my ankles on stones and plants, and worried about bug bites. The only day I wore shorts was when we Zodiaced to a beach for swimming and snorkeling.

Also keep in mind that even at "ancient" sites there are active Buddhist shrines and you want to be respectful of the locals that worship there.

My two big recommendations: a lightweight hat with a brim all around (baseball caps are too hot and don't protect your neck), and Coppertone Bug & Sun, because once you start to sweat the flies will find you.

Margaret

Culture and Antiquities of Vietnam

Clipper Odyssey, Sept. 2006

Archived