Please tell me I don't need my marriage license!!!!

chp3ril

Am I correct in assuming that since my name matches on my passport and California Driver's License, that's all I need to bring and that my Birth Certificate and Marriage License is not necessary? Thanks so much for clearning this up.

If you have a passport you do not need anything else, as long as your travel docs. match the name on the passport . . . so when traveling use the name on your passport.

For those of you tuning in late:

Sorry to be "one of those people" but, here it goes...Cut and Pasted from the RCI Website

What if the name on my reservation does not match my travel document?The name on your reservation MUST match the name on your travel identification documentation due to the requirements of the regulatory agencies in the countries we will be visiting during your cruise vacation.

If there is a difference between the name on your reservation and the name on your travel identification documents, please contact your travel agent or us at (800) -------.

So, as I understand this statement, your name of the resi, must match the name on your travel docs...

Better safe and on the ship, than waving to it from the dock.

RCI does recommend you bring documentation to support any name changes....

( I find it so self-serving for one to 'quote' oneself...but it is oh, so fun);) :p

And where does the cruiseline state this?

on their website. Here's the link:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/faqSubject.do;jsessionid=0000IFcqDYw4D7ddNnMkcSidnoY:10ktmf25f?pagename=faq_subject_online_checkin&faqSubjectName=Online%20Check-In

Just in case the pasted link doesn't work for you, go to royalcaribbean.com, go to Customer Support, choose Frequently Asked Questions, choose Online Check-in, choose the question "What if the name on my reservation doesn't match my travel documents"

on their website. Here's the link:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/faqSubject.do;jsessionid=0000IFcqDYw4D7ddNnMkcSidnoY:10ktmf25f?pagename=faq_subject_online_checkin&faqSubjectName=Online%20Check-In

Just in case the pasted link doesn't work for you, go to royalcaribbean.com, go to Customer Support, choose Frequently Asked Questions, choose Online Check-in, choose the question "What if the name on my reservation doesn't match my travel documents"

That means your photo ID name and your cruise docs have to match. This has been hashed over for a long time. You're reading into it something that it just does not say.

The reason why RCCL "recommends" marriage certificates but does not go as far as to say you actually need them is b/c many times RCCL are not the ones that check you in and really have no say over your what documents you need.

For instance, when RCCL is in Boston employees of Massport check you in. I work a the pier many times during the summer and there are a couple of older employees that ALWAYS ask for the marriage certificate. Do they always get denied boarding? No, however, they do make them sweat it out for a bit and call a supervisor over. These same people did advise me that all employees are supposed to ask for a M/C, however, most dont.

To me it makes perfect sense. If your d/l says one name and your b/c says another name, how are they supposed to know you are the same person?

I think too much emphasis is being put on what RCCL "recommends." It is not up to them, it is up to our customs officals and if you get denied boarding b/c you dont have the nec docs than RCCL can not be help accountable b/c they will advise that they "recommended" one and you chose not to listen. They are just covering their butts.

I think there have been more than enough people on here advising that they were asked for a m/c. For people that dont bring it and are asked for it you have been warned dont come crying back to us.

Oh dear. I just don't care anymore!!:eek:

I need a cruise!

August 28 - Fascination

Sept 23 - Triumph

Dec 17 - Liberty

Now that's more like it....brings a smile to my face just typing it.:)

And - I won't forget my passport!:p

Oh dear. I just don't care anymore!!:eek:

I need a cruise!

August 28 - Fascination

Sept 23 - Triumph

Dec 17 - Liberty

Now that's more like it....brings a smile to my face just typing it.:)

And - I won't forget my passport!:p

I agree, enough of this post.

I guess we agree to dissagree.

You should not require any documents to leave the USA. RCCL's main concern is that when you return to the United States the US Immigration Officals will let you back into the country.

What happens if you don't have the required proof of citizenship and are denied reentry to the USA? We guess that RCCL is stuck with you until everything gets sorted out. A situation, we are sure, they would prefer to avoid.

Will you need a marriage certificate if the name on your birth certificate and driver's licenses are different? From what has been posted the answer seems to be "Maybe". If we didn't use passports, we sure would make sure that our travel documents created a solid identity trail. But, that is your personal choice.

It appears that Immigration Officals are consistently passing people into the USA with non-matching proof of citizenship documents. And, in most cases, don't even question why the names on the birth certificate and driver's license are different. This sheds a rather harsh light on the true state of our border security.

That means your photo ID name and your cruise docs have to match. This has been hashed over for a long time. You're reading into it something that it just does not say.

I disagree. It says

"The name on your reservation MUST match the name on your travel identification documentation due to the requirements of the regulatory agencies in the countries we will be visiting during your cruise vacation."

Elsewhere, it says that if you do not have a passport to use as travel identification documentation, you need your birth certificate and a government-issued photo ID.

Therefore, that birth certificate is half of your "travel identification documentation" -- and if the name on it doesn't match, you could have an issue.

I disagree. It says

"The name on your reservation MUST match the name on your travel identification documentation due to the requirements of the regulatory agencies in the countries we will be visiting during your cruise vacation."

Elsewhere, it says that if you do not have a passport to use as travel identification documentation, you need your birth certificate and a government-issued photo ID.

Therefore, that birth certificate is half of your "travel identification documentation" -- and if the name on it doesn't match, you could have an issue.

If you THINK that, that's just fine with me. As a TA, I know otherwise.

OH, well why didn't you say you were a TA in the first place??? We know that TAs are ALWAYS right!!!:rolleyes:

I agree, LOL

Do you ever wonder how many times he has dislocated his shoulders while patting himself on the back? :rolleyes:

That has been the case for me. I only travel outside the US 1 or 2 times a year, but I have always ONLY needed to show my passport. My passport shows my name change (first, maiden, married) and matches my travel documents. When returning from the US after traveling abroad, the whole point of having the passport is to verify citizenship and identity.

When I got my passport changed from my maiden to married name, I had to send in my original marriage certificate to show proof of name change. I am surprised the Starrluna posted that the marriage certificate was not needed for hers. Maybe the passport rules are changing too???

After reading everyone's comments...I am surprised they didn't ask for it. Lets hope everything goes through. :o

Archived