Hydrofoils and Fast Ferries??

The hydrofoils are fast, the ferries are definitely not.

We took a ferry from Naples to the island of Ischia, 1 1/2 hours each way.

If a slow ferry ride is enjoyable to you, as it is to us, you will like taking the ferries. They are also easier on the stomach if you're prone to getting seasick.

On the downside they don't run very often.

Hydrofoils run quite often and will cut your travel time by about half.

The question was what was the difference between the hydofoil and the fast ferry. Not the slow ferry.

Now I'm no expert on the Caprese transport systems, but there are big ferries that take cars and lorries that take about an hour and a half, and smaller ferries that take half that time.

All those smaller ferries are fast ferries. On account of the fact that they are slower than the slow ferries.

A hydrofoil is a particular kind of boat. You can have a fast ferry that is not a hydrofoil. That simply means it is a fast boat that is not constructed the same way as a hydrofoil, which lifts itself out of the water on planing wings. The reduction in drag gives faster speed. But there are other ways of doing it. It's just that those other ways will land you up with a fast ferry that isn't a hydofoil.

Did that make sense?

The bottom line is that the hydrofoils will generally do the route in half the time as the so-called fast ferries. IMHO time is a major factor on most cruises as the time in port is never long enough (this is why we also spend a lot of driving time in Europe). As an example, the hydrofoil from Naples to Capri takes about 40 min vs the ferry which makes the same journey in about 80 min. Although the hydrofoils are more expensive, we have always found the extra time on Capri to be worth the money. The hydrofoils also tend to ride smoother on the seas.

Hank

I think someone may have asked this before, but I didn't see a reply to it. We will be in Naples on a Sunday and want to go to Capri, but is there much to do there early in the morning on a Sunday or would it be better to go to Sorrento? I'm just not sure how much there is to see or do on a weekend or how crowded it will be with locals.

Thanks

I believe the current hydrofoil fare is approximately 14 Euros one-way. A very small price to go to paradise (smile). We were in Capri this past May and noticed a boutique selling a pair of torn jeans for about 600 Euros, so the price of the hydrofoil really does feel like a bargain.

Hank

We were in Capri for a few days in July.

You don't need to "do" things. Just go there, wander round, have a drink or three.

Nice lunch.

Let the wonderful atmosphere soak into you.

But if you must "sightsee", then the Blue Grotto is unmissable. Monte Solaro is a nice view. Going round the island on a boat is lovely - we did that on our honeymoon, stopping at the Blue Grotto (Grotto Azzura) on the way round.

Go and have a drink at the Capri Palace and enjoy the view over the Bay of Naples. I'd suggest limoncello, as it is a true Caprese drink.

Try chartering this boat - it's good! (Even if it can't outrun the Queen Elizabeth 2!)

baia50_2_g.jpg

Before you leave you can go to Paolino’s lemon tree restaurant, set in the lemon grove, trees are dripping with huge lemons. Food is one of the best in Capri. You can buy limoncello there . It’s located in Marina Grande, convenient to your hydrofoil or fast ferry.

Just in case, locals told us that from the end of October until around Easter time the island is deserted by visitors, and therefore all the restaurants, bars, shops are closed at that time.

We spent a week on the Amalfi Coast this past May (post cruise) and had a lot of fun exploring this area in depth after having previously visited on 5 cruises. My wife and I love Capri...and could care less about Sorrento. Sorrento is a relatively large town with many stores, cafes, etc..but somehow it just does not seem to have the charm we find in many other Italian cities, towns, and villages. Capri, on the other hand, is a very special place frequented by Italians, tourists, and jet-setters. Capri is about walking, sitting in cafes, window shopping (you could easily spend more than the cost of your trip on a single outfit in some of the boutiques) and simply soaking-up the wonderful atmosphere. If you really like to walk, try leaving the crowded area of Capri (town) and stoll along the Via Camerelle working your way through the residential area and ending on the opposite side of the island where there is a great view (this walk take about 20 min each way). You can also take the local bus or a taxi up to Anacapri from where you can get a single chair lift that takes you to the top of the Mt where there is a fantastic view. The chair lift takes about 20 min each way and is not for anyone who is afraid of heights. One interesting story about Sorrento. In May we spent a week in Praiano which is about 5 miles past Positano on the Amalfi Drive. In this region of Italy I also recommend Pompeii and Herculanium for those who enjoy ruins, and of course the Amalfi Drive with the wonderful towns of Positano, Amalfi and Ravello. Unfortunately, most of the one-day tours of the Amalfi Drive spend too much time in a bus (often stuck in the awful summer traffic) and do not give you enough time to really explore the towns (this must be done on foot). Capri is a perfect one-day trip because its so easy to just walk over to the hydrofoil pier (right next to the cruise port) and take the 40 min hydrofoil to Capri. This is the easiest excursion to do on your own and you will be using the same hydrofoils that are used by the cruise line tours...but for less money.

Hank

I will say right off I have not been to Capri but I have been to Sorrento 2 times now and I loved it. The town is on the side of a cliff and it is amazing. I loved all the side roads and shops, the views. We will be on a cruise in November and I plan to go there again. There is a shop there that sells the most unique inlaid wood boxes. They are sort of like Picasso paintings, bold colors and very abstract. The first time I went I walked around a lot to see if anyone else had these same type of boxes and I could not find any. I have now given out 8 of these as gifts and everyone just loves them.

Micruiser2002... can you tell me where you found the wood inlay boxes?? I know where the main square is in Sorrento. We absolutely loved this city also! We will be back next month!!! I love the sound of the boxes though. Last year our friends bought a REALLY nice card/game table and it was amazing.... all inlay woods... gorgeous!!! then the top slides off and both sides pull out and there is a roulette (sp) wheel and a craps type table... all with really nice pieces... and a black jack top for the table as well. It was amazing. It was very expensive also, but after I saw it delivered, I understood why.

Thanks for any info

I have nothing against Sorrento (we drove over there for a full day this past May) but its a matter of choices. In this region of Italy there are so many choices for a short one day stop its really tough to decide. I would probably rate Pompeii and Herculanium very high because we love history and ruins, than Capri, Positano (these two would be a tie), Ravello, Sorrento, and Amalfi in that order. Also keep in mind that if you are planning to shop, most decent shops will close in the afternoon from about 1 - 4. On Capri we noticed that some of the high-end boutiques actually stayed open during the "siesta," but that is rare in Italy. Geez! Whatever happened to Naples that it did not make my list (smile).

Hank

hylasgirl, You are really testing my memory. But I believe from the main square if you were to face the water, the shop is on the next street closer to the water and then to your left. The shop is down from 2 big Limoncello stores which are right next to each other. Well believe it or not I just found a card from the store, in the last box I have.

Here is the info:

Antonino Terminiello

Via Fuoro 31

The shop is small and I think he only has smaller pieces, I do not remember any card tables. I will be buying some more of his boxes though, they are just so unique. He actually remembered me when I was there the second time last year.

His wife and daughter are artists and he also has some really cool ceramics that are hand painted. I bought a oval serving plate (really big) and my sister was just telling me how great it would look in her house. It was the only one he had.

Archived