LBD wants to go to formal night!

Cerinda

WHO: sleeveless LBD of heavy crepe; v neck front and back; princess seaming and gores (swishy, dance-y); just below the knee. worn by a 5'7", size 16, forty-something with streaky light brown hair

WHAT: Decked out with a vintage rhinestone brooch (fist-sized) at center back; wide rhinestone bracelets; subtle (but still substantial) rhinestone earrings; strappy black sandals; wee black handbag with just a few, tiny rhinestones

WHERE: Silversea Silver Shadow in the Caribbean

WHEN: 55 days from now (who's counting?)

WHY: I'm trying SO hard to carry less, and this dress is amazingly versatile.

COMMENTS, please?

Dress with jewelry sounds just fine.

A few other comments:

Black sandals: If they're not very dressy, they're going to take the whole look and make it more casual, especially, since I'm assuming you'll be bare legged. If it were me, (especially on SilverSea, which is very dressy), I'd opt for a black satin evening shoe - perhaps with some crystal detailing - and hose. It's definitely dressier and more polished looking. Both Stuart Weitzman and Anne Klein make some really great ones.

Bag: Make sure it's not too "wee". Women often forget that handbags, like clothing, need to be appropriate to their body proportions. At 5'7" and a size 16, you're not a "wee" woman. A bag that's too small for you will not only make you look larger, it'll take away the elegance of your outfit and will look like you borrowed it from your 5'1" sized 4 friend.

Sounds like a dress you can wear more than once by dressing it up for formal and more casuall for informal evenings.

Jane110, gotcha: the sandals are peau de soie Stewarts with a slim 3" heel. The bag is --like the brooch, earrings, and one cuff-- vintage. I'll take a good, hard look later today.

Gingee -- will try!:)

Thanks, everybody!

Archived