Climbing Acropolis, Elevator??

Napi's Mom

:confused: I know this is weird...but a Taxi service in Athens stated to me in an email reply to a query, that ,as I have difficuluty climbing stairs,I was thinking of bypassing trip up the Acropolis, taking a general "panorama tour". He stated people unable to climb are taken up by elevator. I have not ever heard such a thing, think I'm being "sold" on trip with him. I only hear of difficulty in climbing steps, nothing about elevator! What's the true story?? (Feel stupid asking, but would make a difference to my day in Athens.):rolleyes:

:confused: I know this is weird...but a Taxi service in Athens stated to me in an email reply to a query' date=' that ,as I have difficuluty climbing stairs,I was thinking of bypassing trip up the Acropolis, taking a general "panorama tour". He stated [u']people unable to climb are taken up by elevator[/u]. I have not ever heard such a thing, think I'm being "sold" on trip with him. I only hear of difficulty in climbing steps, nothing about elevator! What's the true story?? (Feel stupid asking, but would make a difference to my day in Athens.):rolleyes:

There IS an elevator, but it's not like the traditional type you'd find in a hotel or enclosed structure. The elevator is like the freight lift you'd find at a construction site. At least that's what was in place for the 2004 Paralympic Games. The officials said that a more conventional elevator was planned, but they didn't have a firm construction date yet. Just make sure the taxi service can drive you up to the elevator itself - otherwise, it's several blocks uphill from the nearest public street. Try to make it if you can - it's a shame if you went all the way to Athens and couldn't take the traditional photo atop the Acropolis! :)

I've also heard there was an elevator but never looked into it nor ran across it.

I have one word of encouragement for u though.....I and another fella from my cruise both have tough cases of asthma and are in our late 60's and we did it in 90 degree heat ! The steps aren't high and there's a decent distance between each. And don't forget.....u can rest as often and as long as u want.

I was damned if I'm going to travel that far and spend the $$ and not the the famous site.

Good luck to u and ur decision,

Ciao,

Thanks for this great information...I printed link, I guess we're going up the Acropolis after all. I felt that even if I could climb it...I'd probably just get to the top in time to go back down (Kinda like "The Noble Duke of York"...well you gotta know nursery rhymes!) Now to decide how to go...ships tour or whatever.

I figured that Ephesus was going to be my biggest challenge. Tourguide said I can sit & rest there often (just not on the antiquities!).:)

Archived