Lightweight Rain Gear

pacmktg

Help,

My wife and I are going on the Infinity next January from Buenos Aires to Valpariso and I am looking for suggestions on very light weight and compact rainwear for the trip. What have you used?

Thanks

Bob

Hi, we'll be on the Jan 14th cruise. I thought about heat..it's summer in BA...but not about rain! We'll bring our raingear we got at REI (berkeley) as it's great for wind also on deck. Magellan's has some in their catalog, but I'm a hard to fit person so I like to try on. ;)

Did you sign up for the Connections party yet?

Anniecat,

We have talked on our Roll Call and yes we are signed up for the connections party. After reviewing several threads on our trip, rain gear seems in order. Thanks

for your suggestions.

Bob & Clarice

I have a light weight nylon poncho that I take when I travel (purchased at REI), and used it in South America on two trips. Easier to use than foul weather gear, easy to stick in a large purse or tote, and weighs hardly anything. Umbrellas are not very practical as there tends to be a lot of wind when it rains, esp. in the Cape area.

Help,

My wife and I are going on the Infinity next January from Buenos Aires to Valpariso and I am looking for suggestions on very light weight and compact rainwear for the trip. What have you used?

Thanks

Bob

Bob ~

I also bought my raingear at REI, and chose breathable but waterproof gear (because of the change in weather from mid 80s to 40s as you head south)..both the jacket and pants were Columbia. It was important for me to be able to fit my camera under my jacket with the lens on, so I bought a size bigger than I normally would. This in itself paid off around Cape Horn (see attached photo of my mom in her North Face Jacket). I carried the pants in my backpack and was glad I had them on several occasions. If I can share one wee gem of info about the cruise....don't miss The Day at the Estancia in Montevideo. It was by far the best excursion I took on the cruise. Have a fantastic time!!1701964227_momandcapehorn.jpg.45e31d8bf934f3561c295542041dd499.jpg

Keep in mind that even though it is Summer time as you go South from each of these ports it will get quite colder. We did this itinerary in January, 2005 on Seabourn and rather than bring rain gear we brought our outdoor jackets that also have a lining and are water proof. They are North Face Jackets. In Punta Arenas where we saw the Penguins (if that is a place that you are stopping it is a wonderful experience) we work the jackets with the lining, hats, gloves, and we were well prepared for that excursion as it was quite cold and windy. They also came in handy while we were on deck and in a couple of other ports.

For this cruise you need a combination of summer clothes (Valpairaso and Buenos Aires) and much warmer clothes for many of the Southern Ports.

It's a wonderful cruise. The scenery is breath-taking.

Keith

Just a word in defense of separate warm clothing (which I agree you need) and rain gear. We also had rain in Rio and Iguassu Falls...where it was 95 degrees F!! I was fine wearing my poncho, but sure would not have wanted to wear my down jacket! Where it was colder, I wore my jacket with the poncho over it.

Help,

Thanks

Bob

We had jacket and hats for cool windy days. We bought lightweight ponchos at Target for rain protection.

Archived