Airline 240 Rule ?

Cinderose

Now correct me if I am wrong - as I am going by memory and it is tucked inside an old brain...

I once read something about the Airlines little known rule called the 240 rule? It states they have to find you the next flight out (not on their airline-but any airline) if the cancel, change, or do something to the flight you have booked to get you to your destination on time. Is this in print? (It was on the thread I first found out about it on) so I can print it and take it to the airlines with us. They have changed my flight times three times now, and I wont miss my ship on their account! Your help will be so greatly appreciated!!! Paradise here we come.

if your flight is cancelled because of mechanical failure it is up to the airlines to get you to your destination in a reasonable time.

I learned this very valuble lesson back in 2000 when i took my first cruise. The airlines dont tell you about it coz very few people know about it.

Airtan cancelled my 7am flight at 5:30 am due to mechanical failure. putting us on a later flight would get us to the port after 4pm and that was not acceptable so i started going around to variuos airlines to see what is available.

USAir is the one who told us what to do and to hold airtran responsible. We had to have paper tickets. e-tickets were not gonna help us.

USair put us infirst class seats since airtran had to pay the difference. I dont remember all the logistics but do remember that the plane must be cancelled because of mechancal. (this is a reason airlines dont tell you why a flight was cancelled.)

your flight time has changed-- due to a lot of reasons.. taking three flights and maiking it into one is one reason- --

now before i fly i get a copy of all available flights that will take me to my ship in time for a cruise--dont leave home without it

Guest YesitDonna

If they keep changing your flight time... call them. Explain that you picked the flight time you did because of a cruise and you have to have a flight no later than....

Most airlines are now eticketing only and IATA has mandated 100% etkt by 2010 by all member airlines. What airlines don't tell you is they can flag your etkt coupon as involuntary reroute to another carrier as long as they have an etkt agreement with that carrier without having to issue to paper. If they don't have such an agreement in place and until etkts are mandated the carrier that has the flight disruption should print etkt to paper for the flight coupon and issue a FIM (Flight Interruption Manifest). In the US you are more protected for disruptions then those travelling internationally, however in Europe you have more rights for compensation in the case of delays. Rule 240 is an IATA rule that covers flight interuptions...it is not just in the case of mechanical. It also applys to schedule changes, weather, government screw ups like what happened in UK two weeks ago. However, the carrier does not have to put you on the next flight. They can refund your money and send you on your merry way to find another flight. With no advance purchase you could end up spending alot to get you where you need to go!!

Internationally, the Warsaw Convention gives rights as well.

The best advice, travel insurance is great and purchase air tickets with credit card. If you don't get the service you paid for you have consumer protection on your card.

Hope this helps!!!

Weather is not included in the Rule 240 resolution. As a general rule, anything outside the control of the airlines (i.e. weather, air traffic control, runway closures, etc) do not require the airline to move you to another carrier. It costs them way too much to move you to another airline for something they can't control, but nothing extra to keep you on their planes, so they'll keep it on their routes if at all possible. I also don't think the UK situation would constitute an airline responsibility, as it seems on par with a work interruption, which traditionally is not covered by Rule 240. I admit that is up for debate tho, as that is an unusual situation, and I'm not totally sure on that one.

Of course, it pays to be understanding with the ticket agent. They don't make the rules, but they are the ones who can advocate for you. Depending on the severity of the situation, and the length of the delay, exceptions can be made. However, don't expect to be put in business or first class (on your original carrier or another airline) if you have not purchased a ticket in that class of service. The airline is under NO obligation to upgrade you, even if US Airways (or whoever) decides to put you there. Obviously sometimes a passenger gets lucky, as in Serene56's case, but it's very rare, as there is a major price difference. May everyone be so lucky to get an upgrade tho!! :D

I guess I'm oblivious to rules like this. One time out of DFW to San Juan for a cruise, we had about 250 of us on a cruise when they told us the landing gear light on the plane wasn't on. The plane was sitting at the gate. AA brought another plane in so we could catch the ship. They held the ship for us for about 4 hours in SJ. Flying to New Orleans one time, the flight was held up in Baltimore and they bumped us to another airline to 1st class so we could make it there on time. Guess now I know why.

Also, the 240 rule only applies day of travel. It sounds like the OP is talking about changes that have been made in advance of travel. If that is the case, then her option is to find another flight - on the same airline - that would be preferrable or ask for a refund of the fare and go and book something else on another airline.

They have changed my flight times three times now, and I wont miss my ship on their account! Your help will be so greatly appreciated!!! Paradise here we come.

We had booked AA flight in May to Texas for Sept departure AA changed the flight times & routing 4 times up to mid July.

I called them and complained ...I had booked flights with 1 connection now I have 2 connections plus getting in 3.5 hrs later causing us to have to book a hotel .

They said they would give us a credit for future use. I came back from holiday 3 wks later to find they gave us a full refund to my credit card.

Try calling and explain the new flight times no longer work with your plans ..see what they offer.

I always carry a printed copy when I fly. FYI - Southwest has no Rule 240 http://www.mytravelrights.com/travellaw.cfm?ai=3

I would take that website with a grain of salt.....they still have a link to the rule for TWA, which hasn't been in operation for several years. Also the information on AA is incorrect. After those two goofs, I didn't bother checking out the other rules and comparing them with the airline's own website.

240 was a part of the OLD domestic tariffs which were filed with the Civil Aeronautics Board (CAB). The CAB has been out of existence for over 20+ years. Individual airline's Contract of Carriage is now the governing document, and is available on all airline websites. FYI - AirTran has a particularly "non consumer-friendly" CoC, if you take the time to read it.

For some decent links on 240:

Chris Elliott

Smarter Travel

America Airlines website 240 rule

DOT website link for "Fly-Rights"

Also you can Google "Rule 240" and get a lot of pages, some better than others.

Don't think that 240 is your be-all and end-all salvation for travel delays. More often than not, it only will make the airline's position defensable. Take the time to find out what your particular airline's policies are - better to know than to bluster out to the agent "Rule 240" and have them laugh.

I learned this very valuble lesson back in 2000 when i took my first cruise. The airlines dont tell you about it coz very few people know about it.

The AirTran CoC has significantly changed since then. The current one is dated July 24th of 2006. Anyone flying AirTran should probably read it HERE. Look on pages 12-16 for what you are agreeing to. Then come back and tell me how likely it is for AirTran to put you on another airline, especially in F.

Also, the 240 rule only applies day of travel. It sounds like the OP is talking about changes that have been made in advance of travel. If that is the case, then her option is to find another flight - on the same airline - that would be preferrable or ask for a refund of the fare and go and book something else on another airline.

This is so true, can't believe I forgot to mention it. Definitely talk with your airline regarding your schedule changes. If you show up the day of and complain there will likely be little they can do about it, even if they were so inclined, especially since it was not a last minute change.

Nina

Archived