Question for TAs

AlohaPride

I was told by someone that it is possible to have one TA take over your bookings from another TA. Is this actually possible? What do I do - just call my new TA and give them authorization to take over the bookings? I was just wondering. Thanks!:p

Mary:

I think many TAs do not accept transfers out of professional courtesy but it can be done. I have done it. May I suggest that you call a few,maybe even some that sponsors this board, and pose the question to them.

Mary:

I think many TAs do not accept transfers out of professional courtesy but it can be done. I have done it. May I suggest that you call a few,maybe even some that sponsors this board, and pose the question to them.

Great advice! Maybe I'll do that! I knew you would answer my question :) Thanks!

To answer your question, yes, you can do it, but many TA's do not do this.

It requires everything in writing, you just can't call. The request also goes to Hal. It is not as easy as it sounds. (I have done this once)

With all the problems you have had with your TA, this would probably cause more trouble. You can bet on it, that your TA is going to charge you IF she agrees to do it. She could just as easily tell you that she will cancel your booking and you can rebook with another TA.

As Gizmo stated, your current TA HAS to agree to allow you to transfer your booking. If he/she doesn't agree to release you, it isn't going to happen. We booked our next cruise onboard out last one. When talking to HAL onboard you have the option of staying with the TA that booked the current cruise or a direct HAL booking. Since we are going with RevNeal's group to Hawaii (we'll see you there!), we couldn't stay with our previous TA, well I guess we could have, the owner is family :rolleyes: and I'm sure he would have released the booking, but it would have been more work for him. Once home I called the CC TA to transfer the booking. Yes, it had to done in writing, even if HAL is the 'TA'. It took about a week for the CC TA to actually have us as clients after I faxed (e-mailed? - it has been over a year) our request.

I know you're having problems with the current TA, but I'd hate to see more arise if you tried to transfer. But who knows, they may decide to cut their losses ;)

This is all what I thought. When I was told how "easy" it was, I thought that there was NO WAY my current TA would ever give me the satisfaction of releasing my bookings to another TA....oh well. I just figured I would try :rolleyes: There isn't any problem with just asking, right?

I already have a letter written to the BBB and the owner of the Agency that I plan on mailing a few days before we leave (just incase my TA gets in trouble and decides to do something else). In my letter I have outlined the amount of money the TA has kept for various reasons, the amount of money I have lost, and the amount of money I could have saved had I done it by myself or had I booked with someone else. Trust me, these three sums are not minor.

I really appreciate all your help! I know some great TAs would come on here and let me know the truth!! :D The way I look at it is, I pay $465 per credit hour here at the University for my Master's Degree. I'm in the hole about a class worth, so I look at this experience as "Travel 101." Next time I wont be so "naive." And it's all thanks to EVERYONE on this board!!

This is all what I thought. When I was told how "easy" it was, I thought that there was NO WAY my current TA would ever give me the satisfaction of releasing my bookings to another TA....oh well. I just figured I would try :rolleyes: There isn't any problem with just asking, right?

I already have a letter written to the BBB and the owner of the Agency that I plan on mailing a few days before we leave (just incase my TA gets in trouble and decides to do something else). In my letter I have outlined the amount of money the TA has kept for various reasons, the amount of money I have lost, and the amount of money I could have saved had I done it by myself or had I booked with someone else. Trust me, these three sums are not minor.

I really appreciate all your help! I know some great TAs would come on here and let me know the truth!! :D The way I look at it is, I pay $465 per credit hour here at the University for my Master's Degree. I'm in the hole about a class worth, so I look at this experience as "Travel 101." Next time I wont be so "naive." And it's all thanks to EVERYONE on this board!!

Hi Mary,

I have been following your travails with your current TA and I have to say that I truly admire you tremendously. You have taken what could have been a total disaster and turned it into a learning experience. You certainly were lucky enough to have discovered the CC board and smart enough to ask the right questions and get the right answers, more often than not. However, you have handled so many disappointments, etc. with such a sense of humor and a "can do" attitude. You truly have a fan in me.

I will continue to follow your adventures with interest and just want you to know that I hope you have the most wonderful cruise, filled with nothing but happy memories. I wish I had your spunk - oh to be young again (but I digress:D ).

Valerie:)

It actually depends on the cruiseline. Some cruiselines will notify the original TA and give them 48 hours as a courtesy even though it's basically a done-deal from the moment the client requests it. Some cruiselines will transfer the booking from the cruiseline to the TA on the client's verbal. Some cruiselines require it in writing. To the best of my knowledge (and I've only been on the end that is receiving the booking rather than losing it--maybe that means I haven't ticked off my clients, lol), you as the client have the ultimate authority in transfering the booking. The cruiseline and the original TA may make you jump through a couple minor hoops, but it is your decision. About the worst the original TA can do is charge you a cancellation fee--if that fee wasn't disclosed to you at the time of booking, dispute it.

Mary:

They shouldn't solicit prior bookings made with another agent. There's nothing wrong with taking over a booking at the client's un-solicited request. Maybe the client is having nothing but problems with their agent and wants to dump them. If the TA refuses to accept the booking, the client will just find another agent to do so. So, what would be the point of refusing?

Blue skies ...

--rita

I want to amend my above post -- I should have put in that this all applies prior to final payment. After final payment, with very very very rare exception, the booking stays with the original agent.

I want to amend my above post -- I should have put in that this all applies prior to final payment. After final payment, with very very very rare exception, the booking stays with the original agent.

And THAT'S the BIG lesson I learned in all of this. I wasn't given an option to not pay in full up front, and now I'm caught between a rock and a hard place. Oh well, I've got a great letter written, and will stock this up as a learning experience...a very expensive learning experience. :rolleyes:

They shouldn't solicit prior bookings made with another agent. There's nothing wrong with taking over a booking at the client's un-solicited request. Maybe the client is having nothing but problems with their agent and wants to dump them. If the TA refuses to accept the booking, the client will just find another agent to do so. So, what would be the point of refusing?Blue skies ...--rita

I think "professional courtesy" is applicable in many fields. It would be unethical to solicit another TA's booking and in most cases, a waste of time.

I think in the days before online booking and Internet agencies, many T/As observed "professional courtesy" because it was a smaller world of local agents and frankly what comes around/goes around. Rita, you are probably right, that with the proliferaton of online bookings and cut throat competition, anything goes. Having said all this, I think a client that wanted to transfer a booking might raise a red flag. By this I mean, the client may not have reasonable expectations and/or require high maintenance. ( Mary, I am not talking about you.) In these cases, the TA might rely upon "professional courtesy" to polightly decline the business. Does this make sense ?

By this I mean, the client may not have reasonable expectations and/or require high maintenance. ( Mary, I am not talking about you.) In these cases, the TA might rely upon "professional courtesy" to polightly decline the business.

I get your point but how would the TA know the client does not have reasonable expectations or is high maintenance? The new TA wouldn't know until they actually got the client.

I don't believe the majority of TA's solicit to get people to transfer bookings. It is the client that finds a better deal or in some cases they have problems with the TA.

I transferred bookings twice. Once to get into a group to receive some wonderful benies plus a $ savings and once to get out of a group to save almost $900.00 for the same category.

What goes around comes around. The first time I went from TA-A to TA-B's group. The second time it was the same TA's but reversed. I went from TA-B to TA-A. :rolleyes:

And THAT'S the BIG lesson I learned in all of this. I wasn't given an option to not pay in full up front, and now I'm caught between a rock and a hard place. Oh well, I've got a great letter written, and will stock this up as a learning experience...a very expensive learning experience. :rolleyes:

Aloha -- when I said prior to final payment, I don't mean prior to your paying the money to the travel agent, I mean prior to the cruiseline's final payment date. If you are prior to that date, it should follow normal procedures to transfer it to another TA. Ok, it's a little more involved if you paid in full as there is a commission recall involved but if you're not at final payment and you want to try to transfer it to another agency, I say go for it.

I would get the other agency (or HAL itself) to agree to accept it first prior to trying to do it.

I get your point but how would the TA know the client does not have reasonable expectations or is high maintenance? The new TA wouldn't know until they actually got the client.

I am not a TA but I do work with the general public and on 100% commission. As such, over time, one develops an instinct for the occasional person who has unreasonable expectations and/or require high maintenance. ( Again this is not directed at Mary/OP.)

When one overrides their own instincts in favor of a potential commission, one often pays dearly for it because the person may soon become the client from hell-o. And then for me, at least, it becomes a challenge to exceed their expections.

As usual, I have used too many words to make my point.

Aloha -- when I said prior to final payment, I don't mean prior to your paying the money to the travel agent, I mean prior to the cruiseline's final payment date. If you are prior to that date, it should follow normal procedures to transfer it to another TA. Ok, it's a little more involved if you paid in full as there is a commission recall involved but if you're not at final payment and you want to try to transfer it to another agency, I say go for it.

I would get the other agency (or HAL itself) to agree to accept it first prior to trying to do it.

That's the major problem I've been having lately (I haven't made posts because it doesn't relate to cruising) but I've cancelled a hotel she booked for me, and she refunded me everything BUT her commission ($34). Same went with the refund from the cruise line for the drop in price ($20). She charged me $150 pp to change our Delta flight a day (even though Delta only charges $50 pp usually). For a total loss thus far of $254 - among other things. I've DEFINATELY learned NOT to use her.

The reason I asked this question to begin with was I noticed my cruise prices are falling again and am stuck between asking for ANOTHER change to get $200 or just letting the cruise line keep the $200. I know my TA will take $100 ($50 pp) for "canceling" our booking and she will keep her commission, so really how much would I end up getting back? Not enough to make me want to put more money in her pocket.

I've followed your TA travails on other threads and I agree--you are dealing with a bad situation.

If the price has dropped and you are prior to the cruiseline's actual final payment date AND the rate drop is applicable to new bookings (HAL's 3 day sale specifically states New Bookings Only), then you are entitled to the lower fare. Keeping a $50 pp cancel and rebook fee is steep -- she's not losing that much commission if the price dropped $200. At max, she's losing $20 - $30 and gaining some extra paperwork. To charge you $100 after all she's put you thru seems unreasonable.

I've followed your TA travails on other threads and I agree--you are dealing with a bad situation.

If the price has dropped and you are prior to the cruiseline's actual final payment date AND the rate drop is applicable to new bookings (HAL's 3 day sale specifically states New Bookings Only), then you are entitled to the lower fare. Keeping a $50 pp cancel and rebook fee is steep -- she's not losing that much commission if the price dropped $200. At max, she's losing $20 - $30 and gaining some extra paperwork. To charge you $100 after all she's put you thru seems unreasonable.

I completely agree, but it's NOT just the $100. It's ALSO the commission. She will be making approximately $130 off of my $200 dollar refund. I would get a whopping $70. Not worth it. I would rather see HAL keep my money than she any more of it go into her pockets.

I completely agree, but it's NOT just the $100. It's ALSO the commission. She will be making approximately $130 off of my $200 dollar refund. I would get a whopping $70. Not worth it. I would rather see HAL keep my money than she any more of it go into her pockets.

Is there any possibility that you could get HAL to give you the $200 as a shipboard credit? That would keep the TA out of the loop. Explain to HAL how the TA has treated you badly.

Second is there a state agency to which you can appeal for assistance? In Ontario there is a travel industry council that provides consumer protection and will investigate complaints.

Bodger

Is there any possibility that you could get HAL to give you the $200 as a shipboard credit? That would keep the TA out of the loop. Explain to HAL how the TA has treated you badly.

Second is there a state agency to which you can appeal for assistance? In Ontario there is a travel industry council that provides consumer protection and will investigate complaints.

Bodger

I haven't been successful with HAL. But then, I haven't been calling Ship Services, so that could be the problem. Maybe I should try that.

I have a letter written to the Better Business Bureau. I plan on mailing it just before my trip to inform other possible clients about this company. Other than that, I don't know any other recourse. That's why I asked about changing TA's if I'm going to pay anyways to get my money, I might as well pay for EVERYTHING to be transferred to another TA.

I have a letter written to the Better Business Bureau. I plan on mailing it just before my trip to inform other possible clients about this company. Other than that, I don't know any other recourse. .

Why wait to mail the letter? By contacting the BBB and/or a state agency now is that over the next 4 months their investigation might give you a better break. I would also copy your complaint to the owner and manager of the travel agency. It sure won't make anything worse.

My thought would be to leave everything as is and get on with the dreaming and planning for your trip. The effort, time, and stress to save a few more dollars wouldn't be worth it to me. You have learned your lesson.

Archived