SHORE EXCURSIONS FOR PANAMA & COSTA RICO

ddean52

I do not know what cruise line but we were on Princess so I will tell you what we did. We were there just this last Feb. did a partial transit round trip from Ft. Lauderdale. When we got to the canal, went through 1st set of locks; you will then sail into Gatun Lake. Once there we had picked the excursion that consisted of a 200 passenger boat that then goes across the lake and sails onto the 2nd and 3rd set of locks, then ends up on the Pacific Ocean side near Panama City. We were then transported back to the ship via bus ride and then a boat back to the ship. I cannot begin to tell you the experience of going through the canal on a big ship and experience on a smaller boat going through the last locks. I felt like a small ant going through those locks.

In Costa Rica, we did an excursion on small boats with guide through the canals around the Port of Limon. We saw loads of wildlife, monkeys sloths etc.

By the way if you go back to the old message board and look at Panama Canal there and scroll back around lst Dec through April you will find a wealth of info there. Hope this helps.:D

Marilyn

Hi, this is more of a suggesting for the cruise lines. I had lived in Panama for 2 years in the early 80's(I loved it). And one of my favorite things(beside sitting at Gatun locks and watching you guys go thru, and swimming in the lake)was the railroad that ran from one end to the other. It went along the canal and thru the rain forest. I had heard it was out of order when we pulled out of the canal zone, but a fellow coworker who went back recently(and a national)said the rail was refurbished, but a bit pricey ($40 one way) I would strongly suggest the cruise lines adding this in. This is a beautiful county with so much potential & history.

• 3 weeks later...

:)

Puerto Limon, Costa Rica - we did the Tortuguero Canal tour - absolutely wonderful. We saw lots of wildlife.

On a HAL cruise a year or so ago, we also stopped in Gatun Lake. The train tour was offered ot us. We took a tender over to the yatch club, a bus to the train. The train parallels the canal - you can see the canal in many places from the train. Once on the Pacific saide we got on buses and toured under the Bridge of Americas and the outskirts of Panama City. We also stopped at the Miraflores Lock - saw a movie - unfortuneately no ships were going through the locks when we were there. Then the bus took us back to the train, then back to the first bus, and back to the tenders to get to our ship in Gatun Lake.

:)

We did the Rain Forest trip....7.5 hours I think in Costa Rica and loved it! Everyone loved the white water rafting also. In Panama, we just rode thru twice...that is why we were there.

Lou

Who did you book your whitewater rafting trip through? We are very interested in doing this in Costa Rica? See much wildlife on the rivers?

Who did you book your whitewater rafting trip through? We are very interested in doing this in Costa Rica? See much wildlife on the rivers?

Hi,

We did the white water rafting out of San Jose to the Pacuare River with Rio Tropicales. It was a wonderful day trip. Not sure if you have enough time from a cruise ship. If you want to see the rapids rent the movie Congo and you will see the exact location that we ran right up to the waterfall that we went under to get everyone wet.

• 2 months later...

There is only one way to whitewater raft in Costa Rica after debarking from a cruise ship, book through the cruiseline. I have researched the idea of booking my own whitewater rafting trip as part of our visit to Limon, and found out only Rios Tropicales will be your provider and they do not have staff in Limon, but instead bring them from San Jose. If you have a large group, maybe they will make the trip to meet you in Limon. In so far as Panama is concerned we rented a van and stopped at several locations, Gatun Locks, forts, dams, etc, on our way to the pacific side of the country. If this will be your first cruise, book through the ship, it dramatically improves your chances of getting back on the ship on time.

On the ocean to ocean tour boat tour, is there any chance to shop on either the Pacific or Caribbean side? I wanted to look for some molees. We will be leaving on 11/10--can't wait to see the canal. IT sounds great to really experience it on a smaller boat (or any boat since we are only doing a partial transit).

In Costa Rica, we are supposed to go ziplining in the rainforest and a tour with Oscar (before or after). You should look at the Costa Rica and Panama sites on the ports of call board.

Hi Mii,

We had considered a partial or full transit cruise. We decided to take one that will only stop at Colon.

Which did you enjoy more... going through the locks on the Cruise ship or on a small Boat?

We are considering a ship tour at $154 pp that goes from the Pacific to Gatun... but not through the Gatun locks. It seems pricey but seems cheap in lieu of a full transit cruise.

Your thoughts please.

PricePerformer

Archived