Where on boat is best place to book cabin?

babalooo

Hi, I have a general question when booking a cabin...for those who get sea-sick or feel motion more than others. I've heard it's best to book a cabin as low and center as possible, inside cabin. Others have told me the best place is center as high up as you can get a cabin. So where is it safest to try to get a cabin on a ship if one is prone to feeling movement (motion sickness)? High or low? Center (I assume)? Inside or outside?

Thanks!

Just from the physics of any object floating, you would be best finding a cabin in the middle of the ship and on one of the lower decks. There should be less motion. Actually big modern cruise ships with stablizers don't have a lot of motion unless you hit a storm or are traveling in a particularly rough area of the ocean. If you are doing a typical Caribbean cruise most of the time it is hard to feel any motion at all.

Have a great next cruise.

I've read this rule of thumb for years and it kind of amuses me. Probably because we don't spend a whole lot of time in our cabin, we prefer to be out and about. Our favorite spot for sunning is forward at one of the highest decks, the spot where everyone says you feel movement the most.

I get seasick quite easily and have found that prevention is better than trying to find a cure. I start taking non-drowsy Dramamine the night before we leave, then continue every night, even for a week after returning home. I'm also prone to Mal d' Debarquement, dizziness after getting off the ship.

If the ocean is rough enough that you will feel the movement, you will feel it no matter where you are onboard. The larger ships built nowaday have stabilizers, sometimes you can barely even tell there is movement. But, the ocean is a whole lot bigger than any ship they can possibly build.

Book the cabin wherever you want to be. If you think you may get sick, take precautions.

• 2 weeks later...

Think low and mid ship. Bring Bonine (The generic is cheap at Costco). If it's a newer ship and you're traveling the Carribean, there will be less movement than you think. Stay away from the forward cabins.

Happy ks - I too get motion sick, very easily, I can't go on any amusement rides & somtimes the motion in movies may me queasy. I do take non drowsy dramamine when I fly. This will be my first cruise & I was planning to take it everyday, but my question is even though it's non drowsy, I have still felt a little drugged from it. Do you feel that way? Any other suggestions? My biggest fear is being sick on the ship!!!:eek:

• 2 weeks later...

To answer those first time cruisers who feel they may be prone to sea sickness.. we took a cruise in april on the tahitian princess from Tahiti and had the worst weather they have experienced for many years, the ship pitched and rolled for two days solid but following advice from fellow criusers pre cruise we took with us sea sickness patches wich worked very well indeed, neither of us were ill unlike about 75% of our fellow cruisers who didnt turn out for meals. I would advise any first time cruisers to visit the message boards for your cruise.. you will find lots of help and information to make your cruise that bit easier to plan for.

Bonine might agree with you more than Dramamine. First cruise I took I used the patch but fell slightly drunk all week - figured it just saved me in alcohol costs :). Second cruise I started with Bonnine before I left home and the first few days, but then decided to take a chance with no medicine. I was fine even thought those little white bags kept appearing outside the elevators. And I too cannot handle amusement rides, motion in movies can make me dizzy, and I get carsick just using one of those driving games in the arcade.

• 2 weeks later...

You may wnat to give anything a trail run before the cruise.

If you are going to use a patch, try it for a weekend to see if you have excessive dry mouth, etc. Same thing for other remedies.

There has been a lot of discussion on this on the boards recently. You may want to search "Bonine".

Charlie

As a nurse I encounter nausea quite often and lemons or limes work wonderfully. Place a slice or so in a water bottle and sip all day. The limeys were a group of sailors that learned this years ago for drinking and scurvy.

Happy ks - I too get motion sick, very easily, I can't go on any amusement rides & somtimes the motion in movies may me queasy. I do take non drowsy dramamine when I fly. This will be my first cruise & I was planning to take it everyday, but my question is even though it's non drowsy, I have still felt a little drugged from it. Do you feel that way? Any other suggestions? My biggest fear is being sick on the ship!!!:eek:

I take it at night, right before bedtime. I do notice that I can get a little sleepy during the day, but I'm on a cruise, I take a nap!

Although I don't get motion sickness from amusement park rides, I certainly do in a car if I read and definitely on cruise ships at times. I'd rather be a little tired than seasick any day :rolleyes: .

Nas-Karr, you're right, it is a ship, but so many people call it a boat, what are you gonna do :confused: . My husband and I decided years ago just to go with the flow and not correct people for this. We always call it a ship.

Archived