Recent Infinity cruisers - give us the scoop!

SFcruiser16

The captian was actually drinking ginger ale, we chatted him up a few times because the Disco was where we (as 20somethings) hung out. He would get a chamapage glass and fill it with ginger ale so that he could look social but not compromise safety. So if you looked closely everything he "drank" would look like ginger ale or other sodas...a "rum and coke" was really just a coke.

He was a GREAT guy and very personable.

As a person who's done the INSIDE PASSAGE twice before, we missed a lot. The first and last day should not have been spent in open ocean (nice day too) but narrow passages with wildlife around. Dr. Bob should have been interrupting us with spottings of widelife.

He was not KATE (mercury) but was quite good at Hubbard. We were very close!

We should have left port early (not late) and have spent daylight seeing incredible ALASKA. Were you out the last night after the first seating? Amazing.

But the ship was broken, the pilots worried they would be unable to control the ship in the narrows...so we avoided all that. We limped along. Did you ever look out the back...I have pictures of the post screw just not up to task.

I had a great time anyway...just they made the mechanical problem our problem. We missed some of what I continue back to the passage to see. If you haven't seen it, you'll never know what you missed.

We were on the July 9th cruise and also missed the Inside Passage on the return trip to Vancouver, instead spending the day at open sea. Not as interesting at all and very disappointing. We were advised to pick a cruise with the IP on the itinerary and so we particularly wanted to enjoy it to it's full. Again our altered itinerary was due to mechanical problems so very disappointing in all. What we did see of the IP was really lovely though but they must fix the problems with these M class ships otherwise there are going to be a whole load more of disappointed passengers.

Hi,

We were on the 6th - 13th August sailing. This was our first Celebrity (and first Alaska) cruise. On the way up we did not sail the inside passage. Yes, I was a little disappointed but it did not spoil the trip.

Am I right in saying in the 'small print' it states they have a right to amend or cancel ports/itinerary etc?

My cup was half full not half empty. :)

The service was outstanding throughout the ship. Food was good in the main dining room and excellent in SS United States. Our cabin (cc 8185) was clean and Jose done a great job all week. I had several spa treatments and not once was pushed into buying any products.

Marks out of 10...9.

Happy cruising all.

Bev

As a person who's done the INSIDE PASSAGE twice before, we missed a lot. The first and last day should not have been spent in open ocean (nice day too) but narrow passages with wildlife around. Dr. Bob should have been interrupting us with spottings of widelife.

He was not KATE (mercury) but was quite good at Hubbard. We were very close!

We should have left port early (not late) and have spent daylight seeing incredible ALASKA. Were you out the last night after the first seating? Amazing.

But the ship was broken, the pilots worried they would be unable to control the ship in the narrows...so we avoided all that. We limped along. Did you ever look out the back...I have pictures of the post screw just not up to task.

I had a great time anyway...just they made the mechanical problem our problem. We missed some of what I continue back to the passage to see. If you haven't seen it, you'll never know what you missed.

Great post Thomasadv. It nice to see someone tell it like it is. Your picture of the open ocean looked quite familar to us, because of our six sea days on the Summit this spring. I would have to say, that on our cruise, my glass was darn near empty!

If you have read a number of the above posts, do not, I repeat do not sail on Infinity. There are pod problems, missed ports, failure to sail in the inland sea, and other awful things that might happen to you. In fact, she can only sail at 19 knots and not her specified 22 knots!

We thought that things were pretty good, until we saw a number of posters repeatedly rip Summit and Infinity, on this thread and others. The negative repetition of these small number of posters should absolutely scare all of you away.

However, knowing that these very angry pax will not be on the Infinity and Summit in the future, gives us the courage to once again try to book one of these vessels. He he, at a reduced price for us! :D

at a reduced price for us!

.........and the reason for the reduced price is that Celebrity cannot come close to delivering what it promised......

i.e. why pay for the full glass when you only typically receive half on Celebrity. Thats why Celebrity fills up on those glass half full guys. He He.

.........and the reason for the reduced price is that Celebrity cannot come close to delivering what it promised......

i.e. why pay for the full glass when you only typically receive half on Celebrity. Thats why Celebrity fills up on those glass half full guys. He He.

Aside from the pod issues that are occuring this summer, the "typical" M-class cruise is usually a pleasant experience. I've been fortunate to have sailed on quite a few cruises, and even though I'm aware that at anytime a pod problem could occur, I continue to book future cruises, with the expectation that problems could happen...people can get sick...and life isn't perfect.

If this is a "glass half-full" attitude....then I guess I'm a "glass half-full" kinda gal. It's called planning your life.

Karyn

and even though I'm aware that at anytime a pod problem could occur, I continue to book future cruises, with the expectation that problems could happen

So what you are saying is you have no problem paying full fare and potentially receiving less than what you paid for? No wonder Celebrity is still in business!!! It is also good that you are aware of the pod problem however what percentage of the passengers do you think are even aware that there is a potential problem? I would hazard a guess at less than 10% of them!!

These people right now on Infinity are not reporting receiving any discounts and yet they are also not sailing the Inside Passage as advertised as a highlight of this cruise. Is this where the glass half-full mentality is supposed to take over and we should be grateful for whatever Celebrity has to offer? I don't think so.

I don't care where Celebrity takes me as long as I'm on board. Celebrity still attracts enough posters who actually like sailing on X. Some posters can't find enough people to entertain on their own favorite lines so they go elsewhere for their daily fix.

No other cruiseline offers so much for the cruising buck. Since last September we have cruised on Constellation for the Transatlantic, Summit B2B (28 days) through the canal in November, 31 days on Mercury in Feb/Mar, Galaxy for the Transatlantic and Eastern Mediterranean in May. In October we will spend 34 days on Century, 15 days on Mercury in Dec, back on Constellation in January. Over the years I have been on Zenith for the Norwalk and had my cruise to Hawaii cancelled on Infinity. Not all of these cruises have been perfect but I have yet to find any other cruiseline that will offer me the level of food service and satisfaction that X has provided so far.

So what you are saying is you have no problem paying full fare and potentially receiving less than what you paid for? No wonder Celebrity is still in business!!! It is also good that you are aware of the pod problem however what percentage of the passengers do you think are even aware that there is a potential problem? I would hazard a guess at less than 10% of them!!

These people right now on Infinity are not reporting receiving any discounts and yet they are also not sailing the Inside Passage as advertised as a highlight of this cruise. Is this where the glass half-full mentality is supposed to take over and we should be grateful for whatever Celebrity has to offer? I don't think so.

I'll try and put this another way....each of us book our cruises for different reasons. Some just want the experience of the ship itself...some want to visit new ports. Our personal expectations vary from passenger to passenger. And personal experiences vary from passenger to passenger also.

We don't know what the majority of passengers onboard Infinity are thinking at this moment. Hopefully, they're having a wonderful vacation, and seeing some fantastic scenary. And hopefully, their experience onboard has given them an atmosphere of relaxation and pampering.

To answer your question, I know I will get a cruising experience that I have paid for. We cruise on Infinity in Oct./Hawaii, and if perchance we do miss a port, due to mechanical problems, I will still have expeirenced a relaxing, unwinding vacations with friends. If this is a Pollyanna approach to life, then I gather I'm guilty...but I'd rather be positive about, yet realistic, about my vacation experience, instead of cynical and negative.

Karyn

I'll try and put this another way..................I'd rather be positive about, yet realistic, about my vacation experience, instead of cynical and negative.

So that we are very clear your last post just stated:

......if I expect the cruise line to deliver what they promised and what I paid for then I am considered to be cynical and negative..........

Unbelievable!!!!!!!!!

Why is it so unreasonable in this day and age to not be optimistic that the cruiselines can provide what they advertise (weather excepted). I am sure glad that the airlines don't take the same approach as the cruiselines with respect to maintenance, but then the airlines can't escape the consumer law requirements by hiding behind some foreign registry or self serving "cruise contract". What is most amazing is that so many of the people on these boards don't put up any fight for their rights and dismiss any negative comments as Celebrity bashing.

If it takes cynicism or negativity to improve conditions so be it. To me it is better than being complacent and accepting of whatever they give you. As consumers we do have a choice and we are able to control business by our choices. If enough people decline to purchase a faulty product economic history proves time and time again that the business will either provide the product the consumer desires or they will fail as a business. If we continue to buy that faulty product it extinguishes any incentive for them to improve it.

Why is it that the propenents of Celebrity don't want to listen to what people have to say about their cruise experience unless it is all rosy and cheerful?

Why is it that the propenents of Celebrity don't want to listen to what people have to say about their cruise experience unless it is all rosy and cheerful?

It is not that we don't want to hear the negative, we just get tired of the same people saying the same thing over...and over...and over....and over.

It seems that some of us who are looking forward with great zeal to our cruise on Infinity [or for that matter any other Celebrity vessel] are being subject to a "drum beat" of the same repetitious negatives from three or four posters on this thread and on other threads. Enough! We will confess!

Several posters above mentioned "discounts". I seem to recall that on one cruise, Celebrity gave a $500.00 to $700.00 credit against pax accounts and included a coupon for a discount on a future cruise for missing a port. The people on the cancelled cruise right after ours [9-13-2006] were given a full refund and a "free" Celebrity cruise. A number of posters on the 9-13-2006 cruise expressed their disappointment at the cancellation, but expressed their opinions that Celebrity gave them very generous compensation.

Our confession is that we agree with both C2C's and Karynanne's comments. We cruise on Celebrity because we enjoy the treatment we receive and the joy of being at sea, being pampered, good food and plenty of it, great drinks, and meeting people from all over the world, having great conversations, and making new friends. Therefore, we are packing, and jumping up and down with excitement and expectation, looking forward to flying to Vancouver next Saturday to board Infinity for 10 nights. Please throw water on our parade once, but not repeatedly. We got it the first time!

The travel itinerary in our doc booklet states that we will cruise the Inside Passage on September 4th. I can't find any reference to this being the "highlight" of the entire cruise. Will we be disappointed if we do not cruise the Inside Passage - no, because we will in 10 days still see much of the Alaska landscape and on September 4th. will still be pampered and enjoying our Cruise Connection get together, meeting new friends, and enjoying our Royal Suite and butler! Many years ago, we drove in mid October from Bangor Maine, to Quebec. Being then from the San Francisco Bay Area we had not been exposed to the "changing of Colors", and were absolutely amazed for about the first hour or two - thereafter we were just in a sensory overload.

My TA checked with X and they say "no deviation in route is planned at this time for the 9/3 sailing on Infinity." They did admit that the 9/13 cruise has been canceled to repair electrical problems. My TA said that since we are starting in Vancouver, it would be hard to miss the Inside Passage unlless they backtracked to get out ot open seas. So who knows-we may luck out! No matter - we will have a good time! As others have said, when traveling today -you have to be ready to roll with the punches/waves, and make the best of it.

Sherry hope that you registered for our Cruise Connections group. We have over 80 pax registered. I have also maintained a CC'er list for everyone's convenience. If you would like, you can provide information about yourself, and we will add you to the list.

So that we are very clear your last post just stated:

......if I expect the cruise line to deliver what they promised and what I paid for then I am considered to be cynical and negative..........

Unbelievable!!!!!!!!!

Why is it so unreasonable in this day and age to not be optimistic that the cruiselines can provide what they advertise (weather excepted). I am sure glad that the airlines don't take the same approach as the cruiselines with respect to maintenance, but then the airlines can't escape the consumer law requirements by hiding behind some foreign registry or self serving "cruise contract". What is most amazing is that so many of the people on these boards don't put up any fight for their rights and dismiss any negative comments as Celebrity bashing.

If it takes cynicism or negativity to improve conditions so be it. To me it is better than being complacent and accepting of whatever they give you. As consumers we do have a choice and we are able to control business by our choices. If enough people decline to purchase a faulty product economic history proves time and time again that the business will either provide the product the consumer desires or they will fail as a business. If we continue to buy that faulty product it extinguishes any incentive for them to improve it.

Your opinion that Celebrity is marketing a faulty product isn't IMHO, entirely correct. They have a temporary problem, that they are in the process of resolving.

We both look at this from completely different viewpoints. I don't expect a "promise" from Celebrity. I do expect purchasing a product that does meet "my" expectations. And if my expectations differ from your's....so be it.

I am not bashing the negative point of view...I do respect it. I only hope my positive one is respected as well.

Karyn

Past Cruises

Aug. - 1994 Royal Caribbean - Bahamas

Aug. - 1998 Royal Caribbean - Bahamas

Sept. - 2001 Royal Caribbean - Caribbean

Oct. - 2002 Royal Caribbean - Caribbean

Apr. - 2004 Celebrity Constellation - Caribbean

Nov. - 2004 Oceania Regatta - Caribbean

Nov. - 2005 Celebrity Galaxy - Panama Canal

June - 2006 Oceania Nautica - Rome to Istanbul

Future Cruises

Nov. - 2006 Regent Navigator - Central America

Mar. - 2007 Oceania Regatta - Caribbean

Aug. - 2007 Oceania Regatta - Stockholm to London

Jan. - 2008 Oceania Nautica - Auckland to Sydney

One X cruise in April 2004 and another in November 2005 and you post over and over again about the bad product that Celebrity is offering. Now if you were just demonstrating how the cruise line you sail on is so much better at providing a clearly superior product at a better price than Celebrity we might be swayed. Some of us have a cruising history over a greater time period involving more ships and like to think we might also have an experience worth sharing.

Where is it exactly?

Does it begin with the Strait of Georgia and end with the Queen Charlott Strait? This is what I understand the Inside Passage to be. If I am correct, the Infinity passes through this mostly at night to be able to get to AK in time. Therefore, the scenery will not be able to be seen unless the night skies are clear and have a full moon and people do not sleep.

Please help me out here. Thanks.:confused:

Archived