Kids' Menu in the Dining Room

TravelMom66

We are going on our first cruise next week and taking the Victory out of NYC to Canada - My kids are very sophisticated eaters and would rather have the Foie Gras Creme Brulee over a plate of chicken nuggets. My 9 year old son adores lobster :p Will the waiters insist that they order from the Kids' Menu? Does anyone know?

The waiters will be more than happy to have the kids order off the regular menu. On our Legend cruise, Achmad even brought out a couple of adult menu dishes for our younger kids to try along with the kids' plates they ordered.

Thanks Kathy! I think I just responded to your post on the roll call! Your generous sharing of your experience has helped us get really excited on our very first cruise on the Victory! You will be sure to recognize my boys ordering 3 lobster tails each in just khakis & a dress shirt on the formal evening!

DGS likes "adult" food also - he got to order what he wanted from either menu - actually, so did we. They had wonderful chicken noodle soup on the kids menu that we all had a couple of times. Also, DIL noted that the veggies served were sparse and asked for steamed broccoli - we got a large plate of it each night after that.

Hi! We just got off the Victory this morning. :( Had a really great cruise. :D

DS (7) ordered off the adult menu often. He almost always got an adult appetizer and dessert, and often an adult entree as well. On the other hand, DD (3) almost always ordered from the kid's menu. The cookies for dessert were her favorite - go figure!

DS is a fairly adventurous eater, and I credit that in part to his experience with dining on cruises. We had no pressure whatsoever from the staff regarding which menu the kids ordered from.

Enjoy your cruise!

Not only can a child or adult order anything off either menu, you can order many things that AREN'T EVEN ON THE MENU! If it's available somewhere on the ship, your wait staff will work hard to get it! One night I got the tiramisu and loved it. The next night I joked that I would love to have the tiramisu again but of course it was no longer offered so I chose to skip dessert. Our head waiter Daniel, ever eager to please, comes back 10 minutes later with tiramisu! He pointed out that the leftover dining room fare is usually served again either at the buffets (e.g. Emiles, Windjammer, etc.) and/or in the crew galley. So it's relatively easy to send someone to get an item as long as it's still stored or being served somewhere on the ship. I got my tiramisu 3 nights in a row until they ran out! In addition to my tiramisu, my wife likes our family to eat a good portion of fresh or steamed vegetables with every meal. So, on Radiance, the wait staff brought us a side order of freshly prepared veggies with every meal. Remember--all you have to do is ask!

Archived