AccL Grande Mariner May 1, 2007

cruisenfreak

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Mary Jane,

We are on the G. Mariner Aug. 12 to Sept. 12, b2b2b. Coould you please post a review of your experiences and any suggestions for us. We did the Belize/Guatemala cruise on Niagara Prince about 10 years ago and had a fantastic time. Hoping to have as good a time this time.

Eagerly awaiting your post.

Enjoy yourselves.

Joanne

• 3 weeks later...

This may be way more than you wanted, Joanne, but these are our e-mails to friends back home. I combined the e-mails to form a "journal". By the way we went from and returned to Myrtle Beach where we have a condo rather than home in Mooresville, NC.:

First day of cruise:

Well nothing like starting vacation with a 4:30 am wake-up alarm, but with a 7:15 am flight to Charlotte we had to get to the airport, park, and cover the car by 5:45 am. As we were parking, the airport shuttle drove up. I told the driver we were going to take the time to cover the car and he said nobody else was waiting for him, so he'd just wait for us. He, of course, delivered us right to the USAirways counter and we had our bags checked and were through security in under ten minutes! Myrtle Beach is such an easy airport to get through.

When we landed in Jacksonville the smoke from the Georgia fires made the area look very "smoggy".

Our little ship was docked right at Jacksonville Landing so we enjoyed being able to walk the boardwalk, watch the ships and shop the mall. We also had a great lunch at a Japanese restaurant since our first cruise meal was that evening. Our cabin is very much like a cabin on a yacht - small, but adequate with a large picture window.

We have 80 fellow passengers meaning the ship is not quite full. We've met many folks and this seems to be a good group.

This morning we left Jacksonville around 9:00 am to begin making out way to Fernandina Beach, our first stop. After an hour or so of saling out the St. John's River, we headed north up the Intracoastal Waterway. The Captabn told us at his talk this morning that we would be travelling outside for 2 or 3 segments of the trip north due to shallow waters in the waterways. This will definitely be the case near Savannah and along the Jersey coast. The third area, which will depend entirely on the tides, is between Georgetwon and Wilmington (in front of the condo). The Captain will let us know as soon as he knows.

We arrived here in Fernandina Beach, FL about 1:45 pm and will enjoy the walking tour and this trip to the library before heading back to the ship. We are spending tonight at the dock, so can get off anytime later should we decide to go exploring some more. Fernandina is very quaint and pretty with a lot of history and architecture from the 1700 and 1800's

So far this is a good one!!

After leaving the library in Fernandina Beach, we followed a self-guided walking tour which took about 2 hours. Most of the buildings and houses were from the mid to late 1800's and many are still owned by the decendants of the original owners.

5/2 Brunswick, GA. Brunswick is a very small town with a two-block long business district, so we walked from end to end and back in about 10 minutes.

We took the trolley tour over to St. Simon's Island and really enjoyed the history and sightseeing. What a pretty place! Our first time there.

5/3 Savannah, GA. Today we are in Savannah and are docked right along River St. Since we have been here a couple of times before, we are not doing an orgainzed tour, but have been and will continue to do a lot of walking along the riverside.

We're travelling along the same stops as Cruise West's Spirit of Nantucket which was named Nantucket Clipper when we cruised on her about 15 years ago. After this season on the east coast, that little ship is moving to the west coast and Alaska. We enjoyed talking with some of her crew for a little while as we walked along the docks area. (Those of you who saw the Cruise West DVD recently saw this ship and her itinerary.)

There is a festival today along the river and we think we've counted 15,310 teenagers here - or it just seems like it.

Now on with our walking...

In Savannah in the afternoon we walked more and then when we were tired took an hour carriage ride which was really enjoyable. Since we were in port until 8:00 am we also got off after supper and enjoyed the music being played in the restaurants along River St.

5/4 Beaufort, SC. We arrived in Beaufort midday and docked along Bay St. In the afternoon we did a self-guided walking tour around town which took us by many revolutionary-era homes.

Beaufort's annual "A Taste of Beaufort" was going on with lots of food vendors and bands right along side of the ship.

5/5 Charleston. Because of the tides we left Beaufort at 9:30 pm and traveled overnight arriving in Charleston very early today. We are docked at City Marina which is on the James Island side of Charleston. This dock is not as convenient as the cruise terminal, so there are half-hour shuttles running, but we decided to walk over here (about 30 minutes).

Again we are docked with the Spirit of Nantucket and today also The American Glory, American Cruise Lines. Those of you on the Intracoastal Waterway may see several small ships pass in the next few days.

The Captain still doesn't know if we'll be able to travel the waterway between Georgetown and Wilmington. He should be able to tell us sometime tomorrow. Beach neighbors, we'll let you know when we do.

We're now going over to the Market area and then back to the ship for lunch. If I haven't mentioned it, the food is very good and the chef will fix something special if I don't like what we're having. For example, tonight the meal is sirloin, but I'm having fish.

Well, we didn't know we were going on a cruise to Charleston...Charleston...Charleston! Due to the winds we are stuck at City Marina here in Charleston indefintely. That said, the weather here is very nice - sunny and hot yesterday, sunny and mild today, but very windy.

Yesterday we again walked over to the Market and then along the Battery. After going back to the ship we then spent the afternoon sitting outside in the shade on the top deck, watching yachts pass, watching pelicans fish and talking with fellow passengers. Not a bad afternoon!

Because of the change in itinerary, the ship has arranged a couple of free tours today - we chose going over to the Yorktown. Tonight we have a happy hour on the captain and later jazz entertainment on board.

The captain thinks we'll be here a couple (or more) days, so I'm sure we'll have more things offered us to pass each day.

At this point we don't know what the rest of the cruise will be like nor which ports we'll still be able to visit. We've been told we'll definitely miss Georgetown plus some others.

We are still in Charleston!!! This wind just will not move. The captain is hoping now to leave sometime overnight and make a run for the RI area. We may or may not have any stops between here and there. For sure we will not be able to go by the condo since he has so much time to make up. We'll run some in the waterway, but the captain's plan is to go outside at Georgetown and come back in at Cape Fear, then go back outside again somewhere north of there and back in around Beaufort, NC. We'll probably have some rough seas for the first part of the trip.

We even considered renting a car and going back to Myrtle Beach from here, but have decided to stay with the ship and just enjoy our days at sea.

We left Charleston around 9:30am on Thursday morning, as soon as the Sullivan's Island swing bridge opened for boat trffic. Many, many private yachts and the two cruise shps all left the marina after being dockside for 5 days. We traveled the Intracoastal Waterway up to Georgetown where we went outside through Winyah Bay just after supper. The ocean was very rough so we were tossed pretty good overnight. We went back inside at Cape Fear and back outside at Masonborough Inlet at Wrightsville. We ran outside till just after noon when we reentered the Intracoastal Waterway at Beaufort, NC. We stopped at Coinjock, NC this morning to refuel and are now underway again. We'll travel inside now through the Chesapeake Bay. We've made good time thus far, so the Captain thinks we'll still be able to stop at St. Michaels, MD but that may be our only stop before Warren, RI.

Right now we just finished lunch and are waiting for a bridge to open at 2:00 pm. Next we go through a small lock to take us back to sea level. This area is a "cut" with homes and marinas (currently sitting beside the Atlantic Yacht Basin) as well as large stretches of swampland with lots of wildlife.

This has been an unusual cruise, but a lot of fun. Good ship, good food, good staff, good fellow passengers! We'd definitely book this cruiseline again - and will start looking for the next good deal on it.

On Sunday we docked at St. Michaels, MD where the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum is located. The museum is a series of buildings and exhibits set around the harbor and yacht basin. What a pretty place!

After the very warm temperatures we've had the last few days, the high fifties with a stiff breeze felt very chilly!

Yesterday we sailed outside along the Jersey coast and entered New York harbor early afternoon where we sailed passed the Statue of Liberty and around the Island of Manhattan. That's the way to see New York!

Last night was the last Captain's cocktail party (free flowing booze for an hour with great hors doevres) and lobster and wine for dinner.

I don't remember if I told you..the cruise line flew a second captain to Charleston so the ship could run 24 hours to make up the lost time. He left us in St. Michaels, MD. The captain, first and second mates then took us the rest of the way to Warren, RI where we arrived this morning an hour early! Great job on their part!

By 9:10 we were on the bus to the airport for our flight from Providence to Myrtle Beach through Charlotte and got back to Myrtle Beach at 4:30.

I just put us out peanut butter, cheese, crackers and smoked salmon - that's supper. I'm still listening for the dinner bell, but I don't think it's gonna happen.

Hope this is helpful. We loved the cruise, in fact one of the best and we've been on a lot of cruises. This morning there were a lot of hugs, smiles and promises to reconnect.

The boat is "yacht" with small but very comfortable cabins. We were in 45A, and loved our cabin, but those in the cabins on the other decks liked theirs too. The ship is noisy - earplugs helped some folks. The food is wonderful. Activities like movies, special speakers, historians or games make the trip special.

Ask any questions and I'll try to answer.

Mary Jane

Mary Jane for your very detailed report. I enjoyed reading it and don't think I would have minded being docked in Charleston all that time. Have never been there, it's on our list. Sounds like the ship was as I remember the Niagara Prince - informal and lots of fun.

Just one question. In each port, was there a tour offered? How much did they cost? If so, were you satisfied or would it have been better to sightsee on your own?

Another question. What time were meal times?

Again, thank you very much.

Joanne

The boat is "yacht" with small but very comfortable cabins. We were in 45A, and loved our cabin, but those in the cabins on the other decks liked theirs too. The ship is noisy - earplugs helped some folks. The food is wonderful. Activities like movies, special speakers, historians or games make the trip special.

Mary Jane

Glad you enjoyed your trip!

The ship is noisy is an understatement.... if had not been for the deafing noise in the cabins our cruise on the Caribe would have been fine.

Who was the cook?

We loved Andy & Leah...they made some really good meals.

Meal times are 8:00 am, noon, and 6:00 pm. Breakfast varied between eggs, pancakes or french toast with hot & cold cereals and fruit always. Lunch was always soup, sandwich, chips and cookies (yum). Dinner varied - beef, lamb, pork, fish, or shrimp. At all times there is coffee, tea, soft drinks available plus fruit, muffins, cookies. Andy was our chef and he is great! His assistant had left the ship just before this cruise, so he had the galley by himself - with help from the other staff, of course.

There were side trips offered in most ports. Since we had been to many of the stops before, we only booked one trip and that was in Brunswick, GA for St. Simons Island. It was well done and was only $25 per person. Because of getting stuck in Charleston, ACCL offered several comp tours - Boone Hall Plantation, Yorktown aircraft carrier, and over to Fort Sumter (cancelled at the last minute because of the winds).

In the other ports we walked the area - sometimes a self-guided walking tour, other times just out on our own.

Mary Jane

My husband and I sailed on ACCL two years in a row about 10 years ago. First trip was up the Hudson River, through 33 locks in the Erie Canal, and up to Montreal & Quebec to the Saugenay River. Enjoyed it so much we did the Intercoastal Waterway trip from W. Palm Beach, FL to Warren, RI the next year.

The cabins are really super-small. We had the same one both times - it opened onto the outer deck. The food was great. The people were wonderful, except on one cruise we had 98 friendly passengers and 2 old grouches! The ACCL ships we were on were the smallest of our 15 cruises, with QM2 the largest 2 years ago. My husband loved the informality on ACCL (the Captain told my husband to go back to our cabin and leave the sport coat he was wearing to the Capt's cocktail party because he was more dressed up than the Capt. was!), the friendly staff and passengers, stopping at places other ships can't get near, the BYOB policy, and he'd go again in a heartbeat, though the prices are higher than on larger ships. I myself prefer larger cabins and larger ships (but not the huge ones) with a few more amenities.

I'm sure you will have a great time, if you just realize that this cruise line is TOTALLY casual and much more laid-back than you can imagine. Some nights we had local entertainment and other nights, not. Don't expect Princess, Celebrity or even Delta Steamboat, and you'll be fine.

Archived