AccL Grande Mariner May 1, 2007

cruisenfreak

• 2 weeks later...
We just booked the Grande Mariner intracoastal waterway cruise next May from Jacksonville, FL to Warren, RI. Has anyone else done this cruise? Is anyone else booked for this one? Jim & Mary Jane

we did the Hudson river cruise on the Grande Caribe.

If the Mariner is as noisy as the Caribe make sure you book the top deck.

Don't book the 40's cabins they are terrible. We didn't sleep for 12 nights unless we used ear plugs.

See my review at http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=119

There was some speculation that they may be in trouble as they have cancelled their South American and Caibbean cruises.

The ship was only 1/3 full on our July trip

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

We just got off an Oceania Regatta cruise (11/25 - 12/21) and met a couple from near Warren, RI. They also did not give this line high marks, but had never sailed with them. (If you read this - hey, S & A!)

After considering everything we decided to go ahead with our plans for May 1st - May 15th.

We've been on all types of cruises - barefoot, adventure, econo, midrange luxury, 16 passengers to 2000 passengers, informal, formal, etc. We're pretty flexible. We always enjoy ourselves - refuse to have a bad time!!

Is anyone else out there booked yet?

Mary Jane & Jim

We just got off an Oceania Regatta cruise (11/25 - 12/21) and met a couple from near Warren, RI. They also did not give this line high marks, but had never sailed with them. (If you read this - hey, S & A!)

Mary Jane & Jim

If you just did O cruise you will probably be disappointed with ACCL ....we were.

The food was good but that is all I can say about it.

I would rather spend the money on another O cruise.

ACCL is VERY casual. Absolutely no frills. The bathrooms are miniscule. In my opinion, the Mariner is a nicer ship than the Caribe. My aunt and uncle did the Intercoastal from Warren to Jacksonville last November. They enjoyed themselves. I should add that my daughter is a stewardess on the Grande Mariner.

Hi,

Yes, what's her name? We will be on the Mariner for b2b2b Aug. 12 to Sept. 12.

Several years ago we did b2b to Belize/Honduras on the Niagara Prince. We had so much fun and thought the food was very good. I love desserts and the pastry chef called me the "gooey lady".

Like Jim & Mary Jane, I think we will have a great time again. Just love cruising.

Happy sailing,

Joanne, the chocoholic

Hi just thought I would put my two cents in, I worked on the mariner for about two weeks before having to come home for surgery. If you go into this cruise expecting it to be as glamorious as major cruise lines you will probably be disappointed, however if you go into knowing how small the ship is and how few activities there are on board you will love it. When i was there the food was great and the staff was wonderful. Have a great time and dont forget to tip....:DLOL

My daughter's name is Kate. She started working for ACCL on the Grande Mariner in June of 2005. She worked on the Grande Caribe last winter and then switched back to the Mariner when they returned from Belize. She loves her job! Just keep in mind that the ship is small and its just the basics. Nothing fancy. Meals are at a set time. The girls work very long hours - 6 AM to late evening - with a couple hours off in the afternoon.

Snowdogs - We'll be sure to look up Kate & say "hey".

Megsterl - We have indeed cruised with very small ships and love it!

We're going to Jax a day early and will be spending that night on board dockside (4/30). Does anyone know if there is a grocery store within walking distance of the ship? - docked at Northbank Riverwalk. Also what else should we try to see/do while in JAX - anything at or very near the dock?

Thanks.

Jim & Mary Jane

Thanks, Snowdogs, for the link to the Jacksonville map. I actually had looked at it before and missed seeing "Northbank Riverwalk" listed. This gives me a lot of good informaiton on what is within walking distance.

Would you ask your daughter if there is a grocery nearby where we can buy our wine and/or booze instead of having to pack it. (For those reading this who are not familiar with ACCL, they have a BYOB policy.)

Mary Jane

Hi,

I'm following this threat with great interest because I am trying to find a smaller ship that cruises Belize and that area. While we too are flexible and always have fun, I do want some comfort, don't want to feel claustrophobic in the head. Need a comfortable mattress, twin size for one at least. Want lots of water sports and sight seeing activities.

This 11 nightBelize cruise with ACCL for an 80's cabin is $3286 pp for 2007. That is not an inconsiderable amount when you factor in additional air fare. How good is the food?

Is there any other smaller ship out there that visits these waters that anyone can recommend? Thanks for any info.

Snowdogs, I looked up WD and found there is one on Market and another on Beaver within a mile of the dock and it looks like the trolley runs in that direction also, so if we walk up and buy alot, we can hop the trolley back. Thanks for this info! Mary Jane

• 1 month later...

Just got caught up in the mix. I was looking for reviews on this company and saw your questions. I work for ACCL (shuhhh dont tell them that I actually do work! haha) Hi Megs! any questiosn you may have let me know! I will be on the Grande Caribe this season and hope you all have a fabulous time on the Mariner!

Hi,

While we too are flexible and always have fun, I do want some comfort, don't want to feel claustrophobic in the head. Need a comfortable mattress, twin size for one at least. Want lots of water sports and sight seeing activities.

This 11 nightBelize cruise with ACCL for an 80's cabin is $3286 pp for 2007. That is not an inconsiderable amount when you factor in additional air fare. How good is the food?

Is there any other smaller ship out there that visits these waters that anyone can recommend? Thanks for any info.

The cabins are very small & basic ...take a room 8 X 12 then put in a head, 2 single beds & storage. can you spell SMALL

There is no door on the head so you need to use the shower curtain when you want to use the head.

The door to the cabin has no lock and NO safe in the cabins for valuables

No toiletries supplied other than bath soap bar.

I found this cruiseline very expensive for what you get.

The only saving grace was Andy the cook.

I would check around for other cruises or just do a land package.

Just got caught up in the mix. I was looking for reviews on this company and saw your questions. I work for ACCL (shuhhh dont tell them that I actually do work! haha) Hi Megs! any questiosn you may have let me know! I will be on the Grande Caribe this season and hope you all have a fabulous time on the Mariner!

I see there's no shampoo, conditioner, or cream as on other cruiselines. Are there hair dryers in each cabin? How many outlets are in the bathroom and in the cabin? Do I need to bring an extension cord? Thanks for any info.

Mary Jane

I see there's no shampoo, conditioner, or cream as on other cruiselines. Are there hair dryers in each cabin? How many outlets are in the bathroom and in the cabin? Do I need to bring an extension cord? Thanks for any info.

Mary Jane

You get 2 steel cots, a steel hanging locker & steel dresser that looks like a file cabinet.

A bath bar soap ...that is it.

There was at least one outlet maybe 2 in the cabin one for a shaver I think

Picture of the head toilet on other side of cubby hole!

433881379_July2006Trip166.jpg.03899bb670acfe7a77f46b024f83a6e2.jpg

You'll need to bring your own hairdryer. And your own toiletries. You may also want to take along a power strip. I believe there are only one or two outlets. The Mariner has built-in wooden drawers. Hangers are provided but you may want to bring a few. When my daughter calls today, I'll ask her about the outlets. Cruisenfreak, if you have any questions, you can email me at cfwifetoo@yahoo.com.

Archived