Is it required to check bags @ the cruise terminal?

The only bags you can carry on the ship yourself are those that will fit through a standard x-ray machine as they use at the airport when you go to the gate. Larger bags need to be checked. They will be x-rayed in a different location and then delivered to your cabin.

If you get to the ship too early, you will have to lug your bags around with you until your room is ready--generally around 1pm. If you're arriving later in the afternoon, that wouldn't be a problem, but if you can board at 11, then that's a long time to have to drag bags around!

The only bags you can carry on the ship yourself are those that will fit through a standard x-ray machine as they use at the airport when you go to the gate. Larger bags need to be checked. They will be x-rayed in a different location and then delivered to your cabin.

superjerryw is correct. You can not carry any luggage on board that will not fit in the x-ray machines. They have to be checked with the handlers at the piers. Just by looking at the luggage, most of the handlers know what they will take from you and what you can take on yourself. ;)

LOL I guess it's more easily said than done. When we sail with Gramma she always brings TONS of stuff!

Usually that "stuff" primarily consists of shoes.:D In the interest of full disclosure, I've been guilty on occasion which is one reason that I now usually rent a tux instead of lugging my own.;)

Archived