Are Last Minute cruise deals dead?

planman

Have asked my travel agent to look for a last minute cruise on the Star Princess. However her response was that the days of deep discounts are over. I also saw in this weekends newspaper an article re the same subject: The cruise lines dont do it since the already booked passengers will request refunds etc. We are watching for a cruise on this ship in October. I have searched numerous sites to determine if rooms are still available. From what I can tell there seems to be quit a few still open in all catergories. So my question here is if the ship isnt sold out and the cruise line wont deep discount the fares to fill the ship, does it leave 75 % full?

We have booked 2 weeks out & 1 month out and got a discount but if you expect the $199. cruise of yesteryear they are a thing of the past.

Or try Priceline.com and see what you can bid on.

Set your budget and port of embarkation and take what you can get.

enjoy your cruise

As a TA I will say about what your TA told you: of course there are good deals, the Wednesday sales that lines like NCL run, the Happy Hour sales, etc, but they are rare and not what you probably are thinking. Most of these will offer only inside cabins or maybe standard outside, no balconies, they will have very few cabins available period and they go quickly. My advise, you can always try but don't expect much. NMnita

I think the biggest problem is that you are intent on one ship during a specific time. Yes, deals are out there but you have to be flexible about which ship, when you can go, cabin category, etc. During middle of October, a lot of families cruise because in some places kids get a fall break (doesn't happen here, but it does elsewhere).

Have asked my travel agent to look for a last minute cruise on the Star Princess. However her response was that the days of deep discounts are over. I also saw in this weekends newspaper an article re the same subject: The cruise lines dont do it since the already booked passengers will request refunds etc. We are watching for a cruise on this ship in October. I have searched numerous sites to determine if rooms are still available. From what I can tell there seems to be quit a few still open in all catergories. So my question here is if the ship isnt sold out and the cruise line wont deep discount the fares to fill the ship, does it leave 75 % full?

Look at the Nov. 6,06 cruise. It is only a 5 day-I guess because it had repositioned- so it only had time for a 5 day-but a great price.

Shopping for a last minute deal on a cruise is rather like buying your clothes off the clearance rack; you can't be picky and have to take what's leftover, or go without.

Cruise lines are long overdue for a wake-up call regarding last minute discounts! Of course booked guests will be irate that they put their money down and then the cruise line discounted. I hope we have seen the end of the practice.

The days of walking up to the ship as it is boarding and getting a great deal are over. It used to be that you could show up with your suitcase and pay about 10% of the going rate ... but our dear terrorist friends ruined that forever.

We got a great deal through an online outlet last March - 18 days before sailing. But it comes no where near to matching the deal on our upcoming cruise, which was booked 4 months out.

So the last-minute super deals are probably gone, but you can still do really well booking a few weeks out if you are flexible in your dates and destinations.

We left on Norwegian Dawn on Aug 19th and while we were waiting in the terminal to get on the ship, my DH called his mom just to chat and she said that she was trying to get a last minute ticket to get on. She called her TA and she said that there was one room left but she would have needed 48hrs notice to get a ticket due to homeland security?

We left on Norwegian Dawn on Aug 19th and while we were waiting in the terminal to get on the ship, my DH called his mom just to chat and she said that she was trying to get a last minute ticket to get on. She called her TA and she said that there was one room left but she would have needed 48hrs notice to get a ticket due to homeland security?
That's an issue along with other things now days. Blackbird, as for those deals up to 90 days out, I can pretty much guarantee you, these are about the same rates as your TA will offer unless it is an internet company that has blocked space. It's like going to Ross's and seeing suggested retail price on something: never did the something sell for the suggested retail price or probably never. NMNita

I watch prices all the time. :eek: This year has been very different. No last minute ALaska deals. RCCL Rhapsody had inside cabin for an August sailing for $399 in April and by May it was $499. On the NCL Dream I booked in June this year because the prices got real low $409 outside for an October sailing and I noticed the ship was selling out so I booked. Now they have cabins left but not too many and they are $50 a person higher than I paid in June. Things are changing... They are discounting 3-4 months out and then raising the prices closer in. If a hurricane comes and they have to rearrange ships like last year New ORleans to Houston then you will see last minute discounts but other than that I think things are changing to discounting 3-4 months out. :) Debbie

Cruise lines are long overdue for a wake-up call regarding last minute discounts! Of course booked guests will be irate that they put their money down and then the cruise line discounted. I hope we have seen the end of the practice.

All retailers have sales. Why not cruise lines ? It is no different than going to Sears, paying for a washer, then have it come on sale three weeks later. You pay your money and take your chance. Some win some lose.

Only problem with cruise lines is there product "expires". I think the reason we do not see as deep a discount as we have seen in years past is the cruise line's product is selling better. All of the cruises we have taken in the last three years have been full.

We just booked a cruise less than 72 hours prior to sailaway. We dealt directly with the cruise line, as the line's website showed the cruise was sold out. DH maintained it couldn't hurt to call and ask, and voila! We were able to get a per person price which was less than the price which had been shown on the website earlier in the day when the site showed cabins still available. Maybe you just have to wait until very late and call directlty?

BTW: just got off this morning and we had a great cruise! Good luck!!

Archived