Packing Ballgowns?

Sugarina

Dear fellow HAL-ers,

How does one go about packing ball gowns? I have 2 ball gowns and one regular floor length gown to bring on board. I will be driving to Port Everglades. Can one simply carry the gowns aboard in the long plastic dress bags? Or must they be contained in a suitcase? If so, how does one pack them so they do not become horribly wrinkled? :confused:

Thank you,

BLT

BLT-

When you say 'ballgown' what do you mean versus your 'regular floor length gown'? Describe your dresses, please, so we all know what we are talking about. ;)

EDIT- Just saw your blue dress on the other board. Lovely. I would call that a ballgown. BTW, I would DEFINETELY wear silver with blue, not gold or your other shoe choices.

If you're driving you have the best method of transport! Yes, you can simply carry them aboard---assuming you can carry them and whatever else you have for carry-ons. They will need to pass through an airport-type security screen, but that shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure they're well wrapped.

An alternative might be to consider ironing them (if you're on an S- or R-class ship) or sending them out for pressing (all ships).

Oh, you're going to look so nice! :)

For long dresses (not poufy ballgowns) I sheath each dress (on hanger) in a long plastic bag from the drycleaner then lay them across the bottom of my suitcase with the extra length hanging out of the case. Soft clothes go over the dresses, then the extra length gets folded into the case (Basically the dress makes a C shape). I've rarely had any wrinkles develop that wouldn't hang out. The one time security was a bit aggressive with their inspection I just sent had my steward send it out for pressing as soon as I got onboard. The pressing charges are so reasonable that if I one of my dresses is badly wrinkled prior to packing I won't even bother ironing at home, I just send it out!

Julia

All of my suitcases (the larger ones) come with an insert.. I don't know what else to call it. It's usually made out of the same material as the inside of your suitcase, (think big square piece of carboard...) You wrap your dress around this and I always place it on top.. I've traveled many of places this way and my dress has always been perfect.. even the puffy ones!!:D

I however love the idea of a carry on.. but for those of us flying this isn't an option...

I came back on here to add one more item, but I see the poster above me already has..

I wear mainly sleeveless items... but this morning I was thinking oh what if the items had sleeves..If you have puffy arms, you HAVE to put the tissue paper in them..You shape it shall I say..If you use my method DO NOT put tissue in the rest of the dress, unless it is in the bodice only and not a part that folds over the removeable insert..I had a drycleaners in Palm Desert that tissued all my clothing.. one time traveling I packed it.. Not good the BENDS were everywhere.. Had to repay for pressing on everything!!

I've never wraped mine around clothing, I would think that might be bumpy, but there is always many options available that have the same outcome..

Mine are always packed with dry cleaning bags. The dress goes in one bag, is folded at the waist and then it is placed at the top of the luggage. I unpack and then hand it to the room steward if it needs pressing. It works every time. Have a wonderful cruise.

Instead of packing the ball gown, perhaps you might consider wearing it at embarkation? Now that would make a statement!

We usually carry the good stuff on and off in a garment bag. We also drive to the port.

Some trivia I heard. Why are men's clothes buttoned opposite of the womens?

For the men, this allowed them to quickly unbutton with their left hand as they reached in for their swords; for the ladies, the maids usually buttoned things up, hence opposite hand.

Archived