I think I must be "Port Challenged" Help!

Recent Med cruisers - I need your help!

We are on the Voyager in mid-October. I have read some very thorough reviews on my Med ports - but I still remain confused. Can someone give me easy step-by step directions for Marseilles and Villefranche.

In Marseilles, we plan to go to Aix de Provence. Please tell me how to get from the ship to the bus or train station. Then I need to know what to take from there.

In Villefranche, we would definitely like to go to Eze. (I also would like to go to St Paul de Vence but have heard it would be difficult to manage both in one day) I know that "leighhuf" went from Monaco to Eze and have read her directions. However, I think I would like to go to Eze first - and then Monaco if our time and energy hold out. How do we do this? As simple as possible please!!

Thanks! (I think we're OK for Florence and Naples - and thank goodness - we have a driver in Rome!)

You can find a lot of info by just looking back on this board or using your search option. There is another post nearby about Eze (I helped on that one) so I will not repeat how to get to Eze. You mentioned St Paul de Vence (one of our favorite places in Southern France) and that is a bit more difficult and it also takes longer...but its also rewarding. From the tender pier in Villefranche you just walk along the street to your right (keeping the water on your right) for a few blocks and you will soon come to steps (on your left) that go up to the small train station. There is only one train line on these tracks.. and you can either go East (to your right while looking up the steps) to Eze (you need a taxi or bus from this stop to the village) or Monte Carlo. Eze takes about 6 min on the train and its about 20 to Monte Carlo. If you go the other way (West) you will quickly come to Nice...than Nice/Cote d'Azur Airport, and than to a small stop called Cagnes sur Mer. This stop is where you can get off, cross the street and find the bus to St Paul de Vence (another 15 min on that bus). The buses generally run about once every 30- 45 min. That same train (the one that goes by Nice) can also be taken to other places such as Antibes and Cannes. These trains run about once every 45 min in both directions. Marseille is a bit more difficult. You will need to get from the port into town by using a cruise line shuttle or a taxi. The bus would probably drop you near the Vieux Port (Old Port) where its about a 4 block walk (inland) to the station (Gare St Charles). You can find the train schedule by simply going to the SNCF (French Railroad) site at

http://www.voyages-sncf.com/dynamic/_SvHomePage?_DLG=SvHomePage&_CMD=cmdHomepageUK&WB=HP

for Marseille you would type in Marseille St Charles and for Aix it would be Aix en Provence Centre. The same site will give you the schedule from Villefrance sur Mer (your port) to Cagnes sur Mer or anywhere else on that coastal line. When you buy train tickets you will get a seperate ticket for each direction and its important that you validate the ticket for each route before you board. They have small validation machines (they imprint a time/date stamp) located at or near the platforms in all stations. Failure to validate can get you a hefty fine if you get caught (unlikely). If you have extra time when you go to Aix...you might want to check the schedule from Aix to Arles and than from Arles back to Marseille. Arles is also interesting and has a well preserved Roman Amphiteater in the downtown area that is still used for summer outdoor concerts and shows.

Hope this gives you a few ideas...

Hank

I need to correct an error in my previous post. I cannot find any trains that run directly between Aix and Arles (you would have to go back through Marseille) so please forget this option. We have done both these cities in a day,,but we had a rental car (a good way to explore Provence).

Hank

Hank

I really appreciate your taking the time to lay all this out for me. I have read many posts but I guess I was just having trouble picturing where the locations are in relation to one another. I have even bought Rick Steves book on Provence to help with planning - but you have done a great job of filling in the details. Thanks!

In Villefranche, we would definitely like to go to Eze. (I also would like to go to St Paul de Vence but have heard it would be difficult to manage both in one day) I know that "leighhuf" went from Monaco to Eze and have read her directions. However, I think I would like to go to Eze first - and then Monaco if our time and energy hold out. How do we do this? As simple as possible please!!

I just did this.

From Villefranche you can take a bus #100 or the train to get to Eze Bord du Mer. Train may be faster and simpler. Then from the train station at Eze Bord du Mer, you walk out to the main street and you will see the bus stop. Take bus #83 from Eze bord du Mer to Eze Village. Explore Eze Village. Then take bus #112 from Eze Village directly to Monaco.

When returning to Villefranche, take the train from Monaco back to Villefranche.

If you take the train from Villefranche to Eze and then Monaco back to Villefranche, just tell the person at the train terminal that you want roundtrip tickets between Villefranche and Monaco, the fare will be 4,80 Euros per person. Bus #83 from Eze bord du mer to Eze Village costs 1,30 Euros per person. And bus #112 from Eze Village to Monaco is also 1,30 Euros per person.

Hope this helps.

Awesome! You have made this almost idiot-proof. I'm assuming that locating the bus and train station is also a simple task. I have read that you climb some stairs from the port to head to the stations. Are the bus and train stations quite near each other?

Awesome! You have made this almost idiot-proof. I'm assuming that locating the bus and train station is also a simple task. I have read that you climb some stairs from the port to head to the stations. Are the bus and train stations quite near each other?

since I didn't take the bus in Villefranche that is hard to answer since I don't recall seeing the bus stop.

However, the train station.. once you get off the tender and walk out of the terminal they shuttle you through... walk to your right. Keep walking along the shoreline for about 5 minutes. You'll walk until you see a beach on your right and the train station will be on your left. You'll be able to see the train track, its located one level above the level you are standing on... follow the signs that say Train SNCF up a flight of stairs, you can't miss it. Just take the stairs to the side of the track that state you're headed to Monaco.

Here is a picture I took of Villefranche as I got off the tender. Follow the pink path along the shoreline... where the yellow circle is, thats the train staiton (its a little hard to tell in the photo)

Med01979.JPG.161b75f0fdb37d41a904e5434fa88bd4.JPG

mringenoldus - you read my mind! I have been looking for the same information for Marseilles and Villefranche. Hours of research and I still am confused. LOL

We are sailing in October too. VOS 10/07/06.

Hi

I just came off of the Grand Med cruise on the Grand Princess. In Marseilles we planned to take the train to Aix en Provence, however when we exited the ship and began to look for a cab to take us to train station, we learned the cost would be the same ( for four) to take a cab to Aix en Provence. I would recommend taking in the Cezanne exhibit in Aix en Provence. We really enjoyed it. We also spent quite some time just wandering the streets and then sitting at a sidewalk cafe enjoying the day and people watching.

jstducky

It must be true that a picture is worth a thousand words - it made it so much easier to comprehend. Thanks!

candacew

We are on the VOS the week following you. I am a pretty well-seasoned traveler and wouldn't typically worry (I'd figure it out when I arrived) but this time I am the unofficial travel agent for our group of 3. I want to be sure they get to see as much as possible with the least amount of stress. Have a great time on your cruise.

moski

Do you mind if I ask about how much the cab to Aix was? I know there is also a bus but since we in port on a Sunday, it doesn't run as frequently as it does during the week.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry mringenoldus, I have not been on the site much. To answer your question, we paid 50 euro for a cab and the fare for the train was just about the same, however we needed a taxi to get us to train station. So the train option actually would have been more for the four of us.

Archived