Steps or ladder into Westerdam pools?

Baseball Lover

There is no "shallow end" per se - no steps or sloping floor like your pool at home or at a resort hotel that someone could gradually walk into.

There's the larger pool area within the teak perimeter wall/bench/platform that's just a couple inches deep surrounding the main tank which is @ 6' deep. This is the level where the decorative tile chairs sit at the aft end of the pool area. The pool surround has a sudden drop off, marked by a raised edge tile all the way around the perimeter of the tank. There is a minor ledge around the sides of the tank that's about 4' down and maybe 6" deep, but it's just a toe-hold for you to use to climb out of the pool.

Attached is a photo of Zuiderdam's aft pool as seen from Observation Deck - Westerdam is exactly the same except for colors and shape of the tile chairs at the stern.

Zui%20Aft%20Pool.jpg

Hi Brian, I love your photo. I haven't been on Vista class yet. only S and R class. Do you know if the pool under the dome is about the same on all the ships? I am also wondering what is the orange square at the top of the photo?

Take care,

Pat.

SD--

I have the feeling that the midship pools are about the same size on all S, R and Vista Class ships - main difference is that there are no jacuzzis on the aft Lido on R and S Class ships, whereas Vista's have two.

And the orange thing-y on Zuiderdam's aft lido is a sort of mosaic-tiled "loveseat/chaise". In the same place, Oosterdam has a quartet of tiled "chairs" with silhouetted faces by the same artist, and I believe Westerdam has two similar tiled chairs as well. Noordam is different in that she has a pair of antique-Venetian-looking "stone" throne-chairs.

Brian,

Sorry to differ from you but the aft pool has a shallow end and a deep end, and like all HAL ships it has the shelf (about chest deep) surrounding the entire pool. Trust me I live at the aft pool.

I could be wrong about the depth - won't be the first time i've been wrong about something... :o

...as you say, I agree the shelf/ledge is about chest high (depending on how tall you are) but do i remember correctly that the shallow end isn't that shallow - is it 4 feet maybe? Nor are there any steps into the pool - just ceramic notches in the side & the two ladders in the deep end to climb out??

I'm taking my elderly mother on the Westerdam. Does anyone know if there are steps into the pools or just ladders? Also, is there a 'shallow end' or is it all one depth?

Thanks!

When we booked our Oosterdam cruise and decided to take my elderly mother along I had also asked the same question regarding pool; whether there are stairs or just that skimpy ladder. Unfortunately I was told on Oosterdam there are no stairs either, just the ladder. A bit of a let down for my mother since she won't be able to get up that ladder. We were hoping for something like this ................... (aft pool on Crown Princess)

2254246700083093743oMeupK_ph.jpg

We were hoping for something like this ................... (aft pool on Crown Princess)

http://image42.webshots.com/43/2/46/70/2254246700083093743oMeupK_ph.jpg

Oh, wouldn't that be wonderful for those of us who have trouble with stairs!

But, I've never seen that in any pool on any HAL ship. Ever. (And I've seen my share of HAL pools.;) )

How strange... I used the icon "insert image" and copied and pasted the link to the picture of the pool with the stairs... and the picture showed up ... and now I checked the post about an hour laterand all I see is that dreaded red X.... What did I do wrong that now only the x is showing??

This is what I remember on the S and R ships.

The indoor pool does not really have a true "ladder" that goes straight down. The steps on this ladder are more like a stair case.

Sorry I can't give an answer about the Vistas.

The indoor pool does not really have a true "ladder" that goes straight down. The steps on this ladder are more like a stair case.

Actually, they vary a bit. I would call all of them "ladders" as opposed to "stairs" like those pictured above. The difference is some are a straight ladder, others are more of a sloped ladder.

Even on the sloped ladder it's necessary to go up/down facing the ladder. On stairs you can face forward.

Archived