Take Passport/Birth Certificate Into Ports?

Leo Jay

Do You Take Your Travel Documentation Into Port?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Take Your Travel Documentation Into Port?

• Take original Passport or Birth Certificate ALWAYS
    • Take original Passport or Birth Certificate, but only if it's a foreign territory
    • Take photocopies only
    • Take only driver's license or other basic photo ID

How many of you take your ORIGINAL passport or birth certificate ashore with you "in case..." I know there are those who think this is a good idea, and others who think it's paranoid. Does it depend on whether you're visiting a U.S. territory or not? We're U.S. citizens who will be cruising to San Juan (US Commonwealth), St. Thomas (USVI) and Tortola (BVI). Thoughts?

I specifically asked a US Customs and Immigration agent on my last cruise what he thought of taking your passport off the ship and he very adamantly stated that it's much safer to keep the passport on the ship and just take a color photocopy of the information page. Besides, all the luxury lines such as Seabourn, Silversea and Crystal take your passports and lock them up, even for Caribbean/Mexico cruises. So I guess that proves you don't need to be paranoid and take the chance of having it lost or stolen when off the ship.

I am not a US resident so the ship keeps my passport. I do take a photcopy with me onshore along with photo ID.

Should I miss the ship (which I doubt will ever happen) I would contact the foreign affairs office for assistance and my photo ID is all I need for that :)

We didn't have a choice - our passports were held on the ship and returned to us by immigration when we disembarked. We were given a photocopy to carry with us during the cruise.

Does this differ by cruise line? I thought they were doing this with everyone...but I read by Autumn 3 that is was due to us not being US citizens? Is this really the criteria used does anyone know?

Just as well, there's no way I'd take my original passport into a port. We took our passport photocopy, ship ID, driver's license and credit card which was just fine.

If you don't take it ashore in a foreign country then what is the purpose of having one?

The purpose is to clear you with immigration officials of the country(s) you are visiting, whether by ship or other means. In the case of cruises, the ship does this for you ahead of time. Many of the countries for Caribbean cruises don't even require a passport however a passport is the "ultimate ID" for travelling.

Your US passport is your international ID. Not your sail'n sign card. What does being on a cruise ship have to do with you being on shore in a foreign country? My passport is with me when I'm not on the ship. Your choice.

And I'm not about to take the advice of one government worker.

Your US passport is your international ID. Not your sail'n sign card. What does being on a cruise ship have to do with you being on shore in a foreign country? My passport is with me when I'm not on the ship. Your choice.

When you travel by air and/or land in countries requiring passports you probably won't have your passport with you. Usually the passports are kept for you at your hotel.

When you travel by air and/or land in countries requiring passports you probably won't have your passport with you. Usually the passports are kept for you at your hotel.
OTOH the hotel will be right where you left it if you are late returning from a days touring:D

If you are left behind by the ship for any reason, you will need to take the photo copies that you are carrying to the nearest consulate (possibly not in the port city) and have a replacement passport issued at your expense during their normal operating hours. You may then go on to find transportation to the next port of call for your ship.

If you are carrying your original, proceed directly to the airport or train or bus station.

In many countries the US passport is a very sought after black market item. Protect it as such.

YMMV but carrying the original works for us.

For those interested, Click Here for a link to the state departments page on replacing a lost or stolen passport.

Charlie

OTOH the hotel will be right where you left it if you are late returning from a days touring:D

If you are left behind by the ship for any reason, you will need to take the photo copies that you are carrying to the nearest consulate (possibly not in the port city) and have a replacement passport issued at your expense during their normal operating hours. You may then go on to find transportation to the next port of call for your ship.

If you are carrying your original, proceed directly to the airport or train or bus station.

In many countries the US passport is a very sought after black market item. Protect it as such.

YMMV but carrying the original works for us.

For those interested, Click Here for a link to the state departments page on replacing a lost or stolen passport.

Charlie

Hey Charlie, how are you. Just a question, what would you suggest non-Americans do on Caribbean and Alaska cruises, they will not have their passports for some or all of the sailing. As Caribbean countries, including Panama do not require passports, what would be the point. As for European cruises, Americans and Canadians, heck, probably everyone will not have their passports as they are usually held by the ship. On these cruises there is usually a mechanism by the cruiseline to leave the passports of the missing passengers with their Port Reps. I wonder why it didn't happen in this instance. Just a thought.

P.S. The Canadian passport has also become the passport du jour. It is a particular favourite of some of the world's best intelligence agencies, in particular Israeli intelligence (Mossad) :D

My passport is with me when I'm not on the ship. Your choice.

I'm in total agreement with you, Curt. My passport is with me anytime I'm on foreign soil. Should some type problem arise, foreign governments won't accept a COPY of anything. Copies can be altered.;)

I'm in total agreement with you, Curt. My passport is with me anytime I'm on foreign soil. Should some type problem arise, foreign governments won't accept a COPY of anything. Copies can be altered.;)

Don't take a European cruise...it won't be with you. :)

And don't ever cruise on the luxury lines because they always take your passport, even for Alaska and Canada cruises.

BTW, you can get an emergency passport in any foreign country that has a US Embassy or Consulate in any number of ways. According to the US Department of State's website, they will even give you an emergency passport if another US citizen signs an affidavit swearing your citizenship. My cousin, who was backpacking in Europe, had his things stolen in Italy, and was able to get an emergency passport from the US Consulate in Milan in less than 24 hours.

But if you miss the ship in a foreign port and don't have your Passport you are in even worse trouble.

And why would you miss the ship? Everyone should make certain they have given themselves plenty of time to get back on board. Of course you could be SOL, still we take:

Drivers License

Ship sail card (that is ID)

one or two CCards;

that is it>>>>>>

And don't ever cruise on the luxury lines because they always take your passport, even for Alaska and Canada cruises.

BTW, you can get an emergency passport in any foreign country that has a US Embassy or Consulate in any number of ways. According to the US Department of State's website, they will even give you an emergency passport if another US citizen signs an affidavit swearing your citizenship. My cousin, who was backpacking in Europe, had his things stolen in Italy, and was able to get an emergency passport from the US Consulate in Milan in less than 24 hours.

Thanks Kitty: some people just don't seem to understand. I wouldn't take my passport when going a shore no matter where I was. I certainly wouldn't in the Caribbean. NMnita

Like everything else on these boards, there is no right answer! Everyone thinks they are right, and that is OK as long as you take responsibility for yourself!!! If you go off the ship w/o your passport you have to deal with whatever comes along. And if you take your passport and it gets stolen...

I was hopeing to get a definate answer here, ha ha silly me!!:D I am still not sure what we are going to do!! I guess I will make that decision in Feburary! I will keep checking to see which answer gets the most points!:)

On a Caribbean cruise once, we sat with a couple from England. They demanded and got their passports back to take ashore. The ship probably has no legal right to hold them except it makes it easier for them when the ship gets back to the US. They don't have to round the non-US people up.

If in a foreign country, you have to leave your passport at the hotel, then it's their law.

So my passport is in great demand for the black market. Why should I worry about that? That's homeland security's problem if someone tries to change the photo. When the passport is scanned, guess whose digital image is going to show up...mine. If I lose mine, I'll gladly work it out back in Miami, not at the airport in Jamaica.

How is the ship going to know to go to your cabin, open the safe and try to find your passport to leave on shore if you don't show up as the gang plank is being pulled? How would they know you do or don't have your passport on you? Doesn't make any sense.

On a Caribbean cruise once, we sat with a couple from England. They demanded and got their passports back to take ashore. The ship probably has no legal right to hold them except it makes it easier for them when the ship gets back to the US. They don't have to round the non-US people up.

If in a foreign country, you have to leave your passport at the hotel, then it's their law.

So my passport is in great demand for the black market. Why should I worry about that? That's homeland security's problem if someone tries to change the photo. When the passport is scanned, guess whose digital image is going to show up...mine. If I lose mine, I'll gladly work it out back in Miami, not at the airport in Jamaica.

How is the ship going to know to go to your cabin, open the safe and try to find your passport to leave on shore if you don't show up as the gang plank is being pulled? How would they know you do or don't have your passport on you? Doesn't make any sense.

There are cruises where you will not have your passport, mostly European cruises, the ship usually will leave them with their port people if passengers don't show up in time. As for cruises covering the Caribbean, Mexico, Panama, Bermuda and Alaska currently you don't need a passport. The question is what happens Jan 1, 2007...will the cruiselines keep control of the passports until the ship returns to the States thus having the ability to leave them at a port so missing passengers will have them. An example of this would be if your last port was Nassau, and you missed the ship. Your next step would be to simply fly over to Miami. No problem if the Port agent has your passport. Big problem if you are late for the ship because you were robbed and the passport you took ashore with you is gone. Currently, no passport- no problem. The problems can be huge come January.

Archived