How do you protect your valuables?

dizzy lizzy

What do you do with your camera, keys and other things while on a ship excursion while swimming? I have heard to really watch your things. My husband has a suit that has a plastic pocket to put money in, but the camera won't fit in there and some of these excursions offer swimming at the end. Have any suggestions or did you find the excursions fairly safe from crooks. :cool:

One of us usually stayed with our camera while the other swam, like on Waikiki Beach. When we wanted to both swim together then we left our camera in our room. However, my DH did make a waterproof pouch that he used to keep our camera dry for wading and walking near waterfalls, etc., but he never dove in or anything like that, so if we wanted our camera with us then we had to take turns "really" swimming. Now on our Captain Zodiak Raft and Snorkel Excursion in Kona there was a special area just for all the passengers' gear on the raft and our digital camera was in my beach bag in that special area bag and I never felt scared it would disappear while we were snorkeling because the two person crew was always on board. The rest of the time we had a rental car ---not the safest place in the world to leave valuables, but we sometimes did leave our camera hidden under the seat if we both wanted to swim and we had no problems.

I have a waterproof fanny pack that I wear when swimming or snorkeling. Big enough for my wallet (or just a few bills), ID, keys and small digital camera which is usually all that I take ashore. I have used it all over the world. Originally purchased it at REI. It is similar to this one:

http://scubagear.stores.yahoo.net/030663.html

or this one (a little larger):

http://scubagear.stores.yahoo.net/030609.html

Just be sure it is rated for at least 30 feet of depth (and be sure to get as much air out as possible before closing it).

Taking valuables to the beach or leaving them in your car in plain view is NOT a wise thing to do in Hawaii. Things do often get ripped off, unfortunately lots of petty thieves around everywhere. Some rules I follow (and I'm LOCAL):

1) Leave valuables in the trunk of the car out of sight. If I'm going to higher risk beaches (there are too many to name) we won't even open the car trunk at that beach. We'll have everything in our laps ready to take with us. Crooks will often watch parking lots to see who is putting purses and valuables in the trunk. If you want to take a camera to the beach, buy one of those throw away cameras. If you get a waterproof one, you can even take it in the water with you with no worries.

2) IF YOU'RE AT A CALM BEACH (with no shore breakers) put your towel close to the water so you can keep an eye on your stuff. If you're at a beach with waves, DO NOT put your towel close to the water if you don't want it soaked by renegade waves. (look at the water line on the sand)

3) Don't bring a lot of money with you. Why do you need money on the beach? Leave wallets in the car (or on the ship) and put the money in your pocket with your ship card. (don't really need your ship card on the beach either but for the day, who knows) What more do you need to take with you off the ship? Okay, take a credit card too. Retailers might not prefer it but all will accept wet money from your pocket. Besides, it's Hawaii!

4) For the most part, you don't need to worry about muggers or pick pockets. But just be aware of people and your surrounding.

Hawaii beaches really are EXTREMELY safe, IF you don't present yourself as a victim waiting to be ripped off. I never worry about getting ripped off when I'm at the beach BUT I don't make myself an obvious target either.

ENJOY! :D

Glenn

At the beach, I use disposable waterproof cameras. Towels, wraps, and coolers are fine on the beach. For cash/key/id, I use about three ziploc bags, one sealed inside the other, which I secure inside my tank suit. It all stays dry. Might not work with a bikini . . .

Has anyone purchased one of the Crusie Critic Beach Safes from the online store? I can't tell how it works by looking at the picture!

This looks tp be the same design as one that I got at a local dive shop. It is like a plastic cigarette case with a rubber o-ring between the top and the bottom. The thingy on the right side (in the picture) is a locking clasp.

You may want to look at your local sporting goods store, dive shop or REI, if you have one. That way you can be sure whatever you get is the right size for the stuff you want to put in it. Ok, so you don't get the classy CC logo - sacrafice is sometimes necessary.

Jeff

Has anyone purchased one of the Crusie Critic Beach Safes from the online store? I can't tell how it works by looking at the picture!

It looks just like one of the ones sold by Witzprod. You can order online (witzprod.com). They have many sizes and colors to suit various needs and tastes. (Get a bright, opaque color, rather than the pretty translucent aqua or blue because you need to be able to see it if it ends up in the water and you need to find it.)

beachchick

Thanks for the tips. I had ordered something from scubagear.com, but got an email yesterday saying it had been discontinued. I saw the one in the store here afer I had placed that order and can't decide if that is what we need. I have plenty of time to shop around and appreciate your input.

Thanks again!

Jenny

Archived