Insurance Question ?

Bases5

There are 6 of us going on a cruise, Zuiderdam Nov 11. 3 rooms,

My mom is one of the 6 and she has been feeling under the weather, and starts a battery of test this week. I pray everything will be fine, but if the doctor doesn't feel safe for her to cruise. But lets say it not life threatening but still doesn't want her to go, will Insurance cover the rest of us?

Room 1 Mom and Dad

Room 2 Son and granddaughter

Room 3 daughter in law and granddaughter.

We booked insurance when we booked the cruise, I have read all the documents, but the language is kinda confusing. I was wondering if any body had experience with this type of situation?

Thanks much for your reply's.

Ed

There are 6 of us going on a cruise, Zuiderdam Nov 11. 3 rooms,

My mom is one of the 6 and she has been feeling under the weather, and starts a battery of test this week. I pray everything will be fine, but if the doctor doesn't feel safe for her to cruise. But lets say it not life threatening but still doesn't want her to go, will Insurance cover the rest of us?

Room 1 Mom and Dad

Room 2 Son and granddaughter

Room 3 daughter in law and granddaughter.

We booked insurance when we booked the cruise, I have read all the documents, but the language is kinda confusing. I was wondering if any body had experience with this type of situation?

Thanks much for your reply's.

Ed

If you have pre-existing coverage it definitely should. If not, from your description I still think it would. There are many medical problems that are not life-threatening that could prevent someone from cruising. A note from the doctor and you should be all set. Depending on what is going on, your mother might just want everyone to go have a good time and not worry about her. That's what I would want my kids to do. Now, my wife, that might be another story.:)

For ALL of you to be covered by insurance and be able to be reimbursed for cancellation your Mother's doc would have to say that it was medically necessary for each one of you to cancel to be with her. It's not just that any or all of you wouldn't want to cruise without her, but it has to be that you all are her caretakers or that her illness is so serious or threatening that family should not leave her.

I'm sure you get my point. It cannot be that she shouldn't cruise for medical reasons and you all just want to take the cruise at another time. You would have a problem with that. After all the insurance company will be out the entire travel and cruise amount for anyone they say is covered for cancellation and there has to be a legitimate medical 'emergency' for them to reimburse anyone other than the patient.

For ALL of you to be covered by insurance and be able to be reimbursed for cancellation your Mother's doc would have to say that it was medically necessary for each one of you to cancel to be with her. It's not just that any or all of you wouldn't want to cruise without her, but it has to be that you all are her caretakers or that her illness is so serious or threatening that family should not leave her.

I'm sure you get my point. It cannot be that she shouldn't cruise for medical reasons and you all just want to take the cruise at another time. You would have a problem with that. After all the insurance company will be out the entire travel and cruise amount for anyone they say is covered for cancellation and there has to be a legitimate medical 'emergency' for them to reimburse anyone other than the patient.

Our insurance covered us if a member of our party had a medical emergency and couldn't cruise. Probably a case where different policies have different language -- worth checking with your own insurance company. I suggest you be careful when you do so -- get names, dates and document them in the event that there is a problem.

Hope it all works out...

That's kinda stinks, If you plan a family vacation, and one of the members cannot go for medical reasons. The whole reason for going was to be with family,

I do agree that OP should check for sure with her insurance co. Then again she may not even have to cancel. I know in our case when we cancelled due to family illness the doc had to specifically say that the condition was so serious as to require us to cancel under the reasonable assumption that the patient could die, not just that we were worried or just didn't want to go.

Obviously if Mom can't go then Dad's cancellation would be covered with no problem. But with other relatives in other cabins I would check before cancelling how serious Mom's illness has to be for all 6 to be reimbursed.

When we cruised the Zuidy in July, we had 2 cabins. My wife, myself, our 2 kids and my mom.

Our insurance was such that if any one of us became ill and could not go...the rest of us were covered under the same policy. This was one of the things we specifically looked for when choosing travel insurance, and we made certain to book and pay all on one policy ...as a single group.

Yes, definitely contact the insurance company and specifically ask the question.

If it turns out that she cannot go ...hopefully it won't come to that ...and the rest of you aren't included in the coverage, make certain you make her doctor aware of this situation and, under the circumstances I'll bet he'd be willing to help you out.

It might even be something you'd wanna ask him about before hand.

It sounds like you'd be covered. However, don't take my word for it. Don't take anyones' word for it who posts here. Policies are different, and as suggested you really need to check with the carrier to get legitimate information.

Archived