What do you think of getting your hair braided in port?

Chelsm

my kids wanted me to do this in cabo a few yrs ago- was a time consuming process- i have thick hair- after 4 days, my head hurt- headache and scalp felt weird- took a bottle of conditioner left in over night to get it all out- 3 hours in and 6 hours to get it out- would not do it again if it were me- am sure others will have another opinion- depends on your hair type and length as to how long this takes to do-............have fun :)

I personally think it is a bit funny to see some of the women with full or partial braids with beads and all and wearing a formal gown on formal night!!!!!! But hey, it is your vacation!!! Go for it!!!!!! Sure beats doing your hair everyday...especially if you get frizzy hair in the humidity or crazy wind blown hair.

a.Save it for the kids:rolleyes:

b.Cool, I dont have to do my hair till I get home!:D

c.No one looks good with a head full of braids:eek:

Do what makes you happy. NEGOTIATE THE PRICE UPFRONT. There have been some VERY unhappy cruisers when they heard their final bill.

Would I do it? Well, my hair is too short for braids, but there is NO WAY IN HELL I would let them touch my head.

You asked. :)

Do what makes you happy. NEGOTIATE THE PRICE UPFRONT. There have been some VERY unhappy cruisers when they heard their final bill.

Would I do it? Well, my hair is too short for braids, but there is NO WAY IN HELL I would let them touch my head.

You asked. :)

Carol.............how about a scalp massage????

Rick

I remember going to Jamaica as a teen and my cousin had it done, it was not too long after Bo Derek had it in the movie 10 so she went and did it. Looked great on her but boy oh boy did she have some racing stripe sunburn on her scalp, she was in alot of pain. I would also worry about the lice.

I, too, got the wicked scalp sunburn and headaches. Also, my hair is kinda fine and fragile, so I literally looked like Don King when I took it out. It really damaged my hair. The other posts about lice are making my head itch! lol yikes!

Definitely not worth it! My daughter begged for this on our first cruise - she must have been about 10 yo. Wasted an entire afternoon on the beach sitting there getting it done (either St Thomas or St Maarten, I can't remember) and it was painful. The beads started falling out that night. Beads in the bed, beads in the shower, beads everywhere.

In subsequent years, she maybe got one or two braids. Now, at nearly 14, she's totally done with that. As for me, forget it. Completely not interested.

I'm sure there are some braiders who are better than others. Probably best as a one-time novelty thing for the girls.

Did it once in the Bahamas and never again! If you have fine hair like I do, it really damages your hair. I thought I would never get them out. They braid very tiny braids with real tiny rubber bands at the end. I was thinking I would just have to cut them off.

My advice-Don't do it!

Only if your name is Bo.:D

Certainly not for Boo though! ;)

I wouldn't have it done and to be perfectly honest I don't think that I have seen anyone look good with them. Some little girls (pre-teens, early teens) look quite sweet in them, but beyond that it just doesn't seem to look good on anyone... BUT that is personal opinion ;)

My sister-in-law (who is Chinese) had it done, on a cruise we took last year, and that looked seriously weird! She is naturally very pretty and it really didn't look good on her... I didn't tell her, obviously... (although I didn't enthuse about it either!).

Apparently they are very uncomfortable to get done (since they should eb TIGHT), you can't wash your hair properly whilst they are in, they are a real pain to get out AND they don't do much for your image whilst they are there...

Boo

I did it once last year and I am glad I did but I would not do it again. First of all, they are very aggressive and competitive (in Nassau at least) and everywhere you go if you have long hair they will approach you. I say hold out for the best deal and be firm. They are all over the place with their rates. I think you come out better with a bottom price up front rather than "per braid" because you end up with a LOT of braids.

I enjoyed having the braids on the cruise - maintenance free, but I would not get them if I was going to have a formal pic taken. Also, getting the rubber bands and beads out is a pain!! Took me about an hour and I had to wash my hair three times to get the grease out that they put in.

But it's fun to do if only you do a few and not the whole head. That's probably what I would do if I got it braided again.

My daughter and niece were begging all cruise long to get there hair braided (they were 11 & 9) Well while in port my sister and I said fine and they were thrilled!

Well once they started braiding their hair they both started crying along with the other kids and teens that were getting it done. This is a VERY painful process, especially when you are NOT use to someone ripping at your hair like that. :eek: My sister and I felt terrible and kept telling them they did not need to finish. However, they STILL wanted the braids.

Oh yea, if you are thinking they did the full head, they did not. It was only the crown. It did look VERY sweet on them when they were done. However, they both said they would NEVER do that again.. The cost was $40 each.

Also taking the braids out was about just as painful as putting them in. Lots of crying going on then too. .OH WHAT FUN!!!!

Here's our horror story: This was not on a cruise but, rather just a week vacation to Cancun. Our then 11 year old wanted her hair braided so we looked for what we felt was a clean well maintained establishment. They braided her hair and a few days later she started to break out all along her scalp where the braids were. Apparently she was allergic to whatever solution they used to soak their combs. Not their fault but, an expensive lesson as after we got back to the states we made several trips to the Dr. for both antihistamines and antibiotics.

The younger kids look cute, a few braids on the older ones are ok too!

JMHO

d

Take your own comb!!!Our grandaughter wanted her hair braided,the lady reached up and took the comb out of her own hair and started combing my GD hair. Nothing happened to her, no bugs but my nerves were shot.

I got mine done on my first cruise, I can't remember which island. After I agreed, the lady dragged me down the beach behind this old building (I thought for sure I was going to be robbed or something) and made me sit on a box. I wasn't smart enough to negotiate a price up front, she said "$2 a braid". I just wanted them across the crown, so I figued it would cost me $40-50. Was I wrong! She managed to squeeze 62 braids across my head, and tried to charge me $124 dollars. I flat out refused to pay that much, mostly because I didn't even have that much on me! I ended up paying $$60 (all the money I had). It hurt like a son of a gun to get them done, they looked awful, my head itched for days, and my scalp ached for a week when I took them out. That was a BIG lesson for me. Now I have super short spiky hair that you couldn't get a braid in if you tried. Maybe a bead! It's a big relief that I don't have to worry about being approached while cruising in October! So, I guess my advice is, do it if you want, but get a price up front, be prepared for pain, and don't let them drag you behind a shed!

Archived