NCL Art Auctions - Change in Companies & Lawsuit

KeystoneCruiser

• 2 months later...

Interesting Follow up to this long silent topic.

My father called yesterday about his painting that still hadn't arrived from the summer sailings even though he made contact with NCL and the new company and had all the proper documentation.

He was told by NCL that the whole situation is now in limbo because the previous art company has filed a lawsuit against NCL for a breach in contract and as a result the orders cannot be filled until the issue is resolved. NCL did say that he could request a refund if he no longer wanted to wait.

Since dad won the painting, he is only out some shipping costs and is chosing to wait it out a while longer. My brother in law however bought a painting. He is still undecided about what to do since he really likes the painting he bought and he was able to purchase it at a price much lower than anywhere else that he has looked. He too may wait it out a while longer.

Just an update. Is anyone else still waiting for art from the summer cruises?

Interesting Follow up to this long silent topic.

My father called yesterday about his painting that still hadn't arrived from the summer sailings even though he made contact with NCL and the new company and had all the proper documentation.

He was told by NCL that the whole situation is now in limbo because the previous art company has filed a lawsuit against NCL for a breach in contract and as a result the orders cannot be filled until the issue is resolved. NCL did say that he could request a refund if he no longer wanted to wait.

Since dad won the painting, he is only out some shipping costs and is chosing to wait it out a while longer. My brother in law however bought a painting. He is still undecided about what to do since he really likes the painting he bought and he was able to purchase it at a price much lower than anywhere else that he has looked. He too may wait it out a while longer.

Just an update. Is anyone else still waiting for art from the summer cruises?

I am not trying to be mean, complaining, trying to start an argument---:)

but in other posts we are told NCL lies, NCL CSR's do not know what they are saying, NCL CSR's never have the same story,etc. Why do you believe what they are telling you this time? Just curious what the difference is to help the others know when NCL is telling the truth or not.:)

Keystone, please do not accept this as a criticism against your post.:)

but in other posts we are told NCL lies, NCL CSR's do not know what they are saying, NCL CSR's never have the same story,etc. Why do you believe what they are telling you this time? Just curious what the difference is to help the others know when NCL is telling the truth or not.:)

Very fair question, dwrist. It is because my father (who is even more persistant at finding out the truth than I am.) has spoken to people at Fine Art Wholesalers, Cruise Art (or whatever the new company is called) and NCL and the story was exactly the same from all three sources.

The other point to make here is that NCL has offered a refund of any monies paid but since dad and my brother in law have chosen not to accept that at this time we cannot judge NCL on that point. Others on here have said however that they have received a refund.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone received their refund for the piece of art that was not delivered?

I stayed with Norwegian and the new art company, The Fine Art of Cruising, until mid-November (17th to be exact). When I called and asked the new art company about my order, they said they were trying to fill all the summer orders by the end of November, but couldn't give me any specifics about my order. I cancelled with them, requested a refund (which they happily processed for me), and placed my order with the old art company, Fine Art Wholesalers. Fine Art Wholesalers send me the art within 10 days and charged me the same amount less the 15% buyers premium.

I still have not received my refund. I called Norwegian, they had no recordof the refund request and said that I would get it within the next two billing cycles. I told them I would handle it another way and just disputed the charge on my credit card. I am tired of waiting for Norwegian and I do not trust that they will handle it properly.

I will never sail Norwegian again!

Has anyone received their refund for the piece of art that was not delivered?

I stayed with Norwegian and the new art company, The Fine Art of Cruising, until mid-November (17th to be exact). When I called and asked the new art company about my order, they said they were trying to fill all the summer orders by the end of November, but couldn't give me any specifics about my order. I cancelled with them, requested a refund (which they happily processed for me), and placed my order with the old art company, Fine Art Wholesalers. Fine Art Wholesalers send me the art within 10 days and charged me the same amount less the 15% buyers premium.

I still have not received my refund. I called Norwegian, they had no recordof the refund request and said that I would get it within the next two billing cycles. I told them I would handle it another way and just disputed the charge on my credit card. I am tired of waiting for Norwegian and I do not trust that they will handle it properly.

I will never sail Norwegian again!

Most credt card companies require a dispute within 60 days of the date you recieved the bill with the charge on it...(and so does US federal law)

After reading about the problems that people who purchased art on board have had recently, I checked with my father, who won a painting, and my brother in law, who bought several paintings on our Dawn cruise in June.

Neither had received their art yet and since 8 weeks had passed, it was pass the "timeframe" they were given. I told them about the comments on the board and my dad went to work on the phones. (when my dad is after answers get out of his way!!)

He first called the art company. He spoke to a very nice lady that said their company was no longer dealing with NCL and were not filling the orders. She gave him a phone number of a person to call at NCL. When dad asked what happened, she told him that "there had been an misunderstanding between NCL and their art company" and that there was "a very large lawsuit against NCL filed by their company." She wouldn't go into details.

My father then called the NCL contact. Again, a very nice person on the other end. (the "most knowledgeable person I have ever spoken to at NCL" was his exact words about her.) She told him that they had indeed changed art companies but that the new company was going to fill all existing orders that had been purchased on NCL cruises this past summer. She gave him a phone number and contact name to call and told him to have his order number and receipt ready when he called. She then told him that if he had any problems getting the art, to call her back. When he asked her about the lawsuit from the previous art company, she replied: "we are not allowed to talk about pending litigation." (so there is a lawsuit!) Once again, dad stressed that she was extrmely friendly and helpful.

He now has a call into the new art company. (he didn't have the name of the company with him when he stopped over, but I will find out.) They were closed for the day when he called late this afternoon, but he left a message and asked them to call him on Thursday.

I will keep you posted as to what he hears.

i was on the NCL JUNE CRUISE AND BOUGHT ART 3 PAINTINGS AND NEVER GOT THEM

ncl never paid fine art whole salers for there paintings that is why they wont mail them to the customers i complained to ncl they said they would have a new company send me my art.. they never did i complained to my credit card company and the credit card company put in a dispute all the time ncl kept stating a new company was going to fullfill the orders. NCL never NEVER fullfilled my orders and blamed me for the dispute because i refused to drop my complaint becasue they took my money and never gave me the irreplacable one of a kind art i won at auction on the ship they said i cant get my money back because i wont close my dispute about the charge but if i close the dispute i have no recourse.

I wrote a nice letter to every single email address of the corporation and on and off usa property until someone listened from NCL i called SHA<E on you channel 2 news you can file a complaint with them on line..

IT took me 5 months and alot of complaining and over 100 dollars in faxes to get my money back and ncls offer to give mea free 25 dollar immenity no refund for my money for faxes no consideration of maybe 40 hours it took me to get my money back. I would not suggest buying any art from NCL. No matter who the distributer is! NCL also say they guarantee items bought through them and there affiliated for 30 daays i let that dispute fall by the waste side when i bought a defective item because of the hassle it was just to get this money back they never even retuned my calls about that problem. NCL is either mismanaged or they really dont care about there travlers. I am not sure but i enjoy the free style cruising and i have a trip already booked on ncl dawn for jan 7 or I would of booked with a different company all together. Are there other cruise lines with the free style cruising. After this trip I will never take a NCL cruise again because of the serious problem I had with the art work dispute and the broken jewlery i bought on the ship. Mostly the horrid time I had with my art order and how NCL treated me on this matter.

I have a copy of the lawsuit that was mailed to me it appears ncl ordered art over 40 million dollars of art from fine art whole salers and never paid for the art yet the art was shipped to the customers. I bought art in feb on yet another cruise on ncl dawn I got that art in the mail it got to a point with fine art whole salers that fine art whole salers refused to ship any more art..

Also if NCL is 40 million in debt i would advise everyone not to leave a deposit like they preach for a future cruise usually requires a 250 deposit in order to get some kind of discount? Could be the company is about to fold? Maybe they are mismanaging funds.. I just pray i get to take my paid for cruise on jan 7 before such a thing comes to a head.

They also started charging even to use the pool in the indoor spa when they previously didnt charge for this. another sign ncl may be in some kind of financial trouble. i noticed a big change in what was charged for on the first cruise to the new charges on the second cruise i took last year....

SOmething isnt right and it is leaving a bad taste in my mouth with this company.

I honestly enjoy the free syle cruising where i dont ahve to dress fancy and stick to schedules for meals and such.... please tell me of any other cruise line that has a similar idea?

Most credt card companies require a dispute within 60 days of the date you recieved the bill with the charge on it...(and so does US federal law)
the company dont have to follow us federal law with these purchases my lawer told me because we were in international waters during the auctions.. to get your money back call Marie from NCL demand a refund threaten to call shame on you channel 2 news if it isnt done asap the number is 1 866 625 1164 for her she is handling refunds on ncl art threaten to contact shame on you you can file a complaint with shame on you on line

http://wcbstv.com/shame

the company dont have to follow us federal law with these purchases my lawer told me because we were in international waters during the auctions.. to get your money back call Marie from NCL demand a refund threaten to call shame on you channel 2 news if it isnt done asap the number is 1 866 625 1164 for her she is handling refunds on ncl art threaten to contact shame on you you can file a complaint with shame on you on line

I'm sorry but I must say continued advice to call "channel 2 shame on you" is rather amusing.

As with any issue, if you pay for something and do not receive your goods you are entitled to a refund. Calling your credit card bank is the easiest if it is within your bank's rules for dispute. As for the federal law part, that is really secondary as your cardholder agreement between you and your bank takes hold regardless of where you are. Note that when you sign any credit card receipt it will often say "cardholder agrees to be bound by cardholder agreement" or something like that.

If, in the end, you are unable to settle that then yes you might need an attorney to speak for you. To me the real point is that the charge for art shows up under NCL's name on your bank statement so at the end of the day it is still their problem. Their fight with the art folks really is not the consumer's problem.

Yes this may be true but the credit card company has to. federal law applies to disputes with the credit card company including non-delivery of overseas goods( I must tell you I disagree with your lawyer. If you buy goods from the art company...an american company, it probably doesn't matter that much if you are on the high seas when you do it-maritime law doesn't apply to auctions of goods---it isn't a maritime issue)....Since the US says that US law applies to its citizens no matter where they are(its why people who kill ameircans overseas can be charged in the US) but in any case the easiest way for you to get your money back is probably the best.

I'm sorry but I must say continued advice to call "channel 2 shame on you" is rather amusing.

As with any issue, if you pay for something and do not receive your goods you are entitled to a refund. Calling your credit card bank is the easiest if it is within your bank's rules for dispute. As for the federal law part, that is really secondary as your cardholder agreement between you and your bank takes hold regardless of where you are. Note that when you sign any credit card receipt it will often say "cardholder agrees to be bound by cardholder agreement" or something like that.

If, in the end, you are unable to settle that then yes you might need an attorney to speak for you. To me the real point is that the charge for art shows up under NCL's name on your bank statement so at the end of the day it is still their problem. Their fight with the art folks really is not the consumer's problem.

You may find it amusing but i tried everythign else to get my money back my credit card company capitol one went to bat for me but it came back as a valid charge? by ncl staff even though it was 4 months and i enver got my item it was put bak on my credit card. threatening to go to the media was the oen thing that actually worked no company wants bad publicity. Expecially when they were already in a dispute with fine art whole salers when they took my money for the art i never recieved. they knew there was a problem but continued to auction off art even though fine art whole salers already stopped shipping there art because ncl owed them 40 million dallars for art that was already shipped. so you might find it amusing but it was the only thing that made them give me my money back my credit card did refund my money at first waiting for word from them but put the amount back on my card because NCL said it was a valid charge and they were going to send my art in 4-8 weeks whish was long over due go figure?

the art auctions on the dream were held by "fine art wholesalers"
i see you went on the dream in november the company already had a court dispute and had refused to ship art in august! i was on june 24 dawn bought art in the middle of august i was told by fine art whole salers that ncl owed them 40 million dallars for art they already shipped to customers and was not sending out any more art until they got there money. ncl continued to sell art at auction into november under the name fine art whole salers i had a friend on a cruise on the dawn in november. They said they were still auctioning under the preface of fine art whole salers when the sales were no longer being honered by this company as of mid august.

teeya39: I find it very hard to follow your posts due to sentence structure, paragraph division, capitalization and especially punctuation.

I'm sorry, but as a teacher I have to point that out. Correct grammer and punctuation goes far in convincing people of an issue. (remember when Vice President Dan Quayle misspelled potatoe on national television? His credibility was deystroyed for the rest of his career.)

As far as calling channel 2 news, why would people in Ohio call Channel 2 news? Channel 2 in what state and city?? I'm not sure that Channel 2 would really care about those of us in Ohio!

It also seems like you are very determined to attempt to deystroy NCL over this one issue. Believe me this issue is nothing compared to what some others have gone through! (cabins being switched, being injured in cabins, food allergies, etc.) Somehow with NCL's ships running near capacity and NCL bringing on four new ships in 05-07 and another three in 08-10, it doesn't seem they are in financial trouble to me.

It is obvious that NCL has some serious issues with Fine Art Wholesalers and that is up to a court to sort out, not those of us on a chat board. You can attempt to do what you want, but my father, brother in law and mother in law are content to wait a while longer to see what transpires. Believe me, NCL won't know what hits them if my father and brother in law goes after them! (btw, we were on the Dawn cruise immediately before yours.)

one last note i forgot to add NCL knew no art was going to be shipped before my sailing and they continued to auction off the art and accept peoples money when they knew there was a problem already going on.

Things may be amusing to you but NCL collecting thousands of dollars under false pretences from there customers for art they knew was not going to be delivered and there was already a dispute going on is not a laughing manner. We are not talking about 5 or ten bucks. And even more you knwo while that money sits in there bank accounts they are collecting interest. On the three cruises I took last year i saw millions of dollars of art being sold on the ship. nickle and dine? I dont know That is alot of interest... I was extremely persistand but some may just give up many missed the credit card date also because they say it takes 6-8 weeks to come. By the time they figure it out it is to late to dispute. I made the dispute file date only by a few days!!!! maybe my art wasnt 50 or 75 thouasnd dollars but i still went through hell trying to get my money back.

Unlike some people my money is hard working blood sweat and tears. And the item I bought had a value beyond dollars because it was something first i bought ona cruise and one piece was to be a gift which makes it hurt even more that i never recieved it. They throw salt on the woulds saying we the consumer have to wait until the law suit is settled? NCL collected my money no matter who held the auction fine art whole saler was a third party interest. Ncl failed there contracts by not paying for there sold art they had collected the money for.

I faxed pages and pages of documents via kinkos to capitol one and to ncl at a buck a page. I called weekly some times twice weekly from august to the end of november just to get my money back and then i was told i wasnt getting a refund to my credit card company because i filed a dispute with my credit card company i have that saved to this day on my answering machine.

To make matters worse i dont know who did the auctions on your ship but the guy on the Dawn i think his name was mark was horrible to his help nasty and nasty to customers even if they bought low value art as a souvineer treated us like we were below him.. My 1200 bucks was as green as anyone elses... I can recall one insident where someone that won an item couldnt pay for it because of a credit card beign lost on an island and being cancelled. When they went to him aobut the problem and there inability to use another card at the time he treated them like pond scum.

When i was given one lie after another for four months I felt like they were treating me like pond scum.

And yes I threatened them with Shame on you Yes I reported it to the media. And yes reporting it to the media was the ONLY recourse that actually worked!

Why because if future cruisers know before hand of the art scam they wont buy art and NCL cant collect there money and interest.

If i wasnt on top of things I am sure that i would never seen that 1200 bucks again.

I am sure if it was you and was an amount that wasnt really enough for a lawyer. You would consider media as a scar tatic.

Considering how much money is involved they have kept this low key so far but most i knew who bought art still have not gotten refunds. Actually I dont know anyone else but me that has actually gotten there money back! Including a friend of mine that spent more then 50 gs on art on board.

I also wrote a letter and forwarded it to every ncl email address availible on line it was an office some where in europe that got the ball rolling for me and in that letter i did threaten major media attention!

teeya39: I find it very hard to follow your posts due to sentence structure, paragraph division, capitalization and especially punctuation.

I'm sorry, but as a teacher I have to point that out. Correct grammer and punctuation goes far in convincing people of an issue. (remember when Vice President Dan Quayle misspelled potatoe on national television? His credibility was deystroyed for the rest of his career.)

As far as calling channel 2 news, why would people in Ohio call Channel 2 news? Channel 2 in what state and city?? I'm not sure that Channel 2 would really care about those of us in Ohio!

It also seems like you are very determined to attempt to deystroy NCL over this one issue. Believe me this issue is nothing compared to what some others have gone through! (cabins being switched, being injured in cabins, food allergies, etc.) Somehow with NCL's ships running near capacity and NCL bringing on four new ships in 05-07 and another three in 08-10, it doesn't seem they are in financial trouble to me.

It is obvious that NCL has some serious issues with Fine Art Wholesalers and that is up to a court to sort out, not those of us on a chat board. You can attempt to do what you want, but my father, brother in law and mother in law are content to wait a while longer to see what transpires. Believe me, NCL won't know what hits them if my father and brother in law goes after them! (btw, we were on the Dawn cruise immediately before yours.)

I am sorry I wasnt concerned with spelling and sentence structure and the such. I was just trying to help others who found themselves in my position. I didnt buy thousands of dollars in art i bought three paintings costing a total of about 1200 including shipping far to low to call a lawyer for. The lawyer would charge me that to dispute this.

I just do not like seeing people being taken advantage of! I am actually going on another cruise in jan/07/07 on the same ship the dawn. then i am booked on pride of hawaii for 2/05/07

I am just disgusted with how NCL handled this situation. Why would they lie to credit card companies saying it is a valid charge and the item was in the mail so to speak?

I did buy art on my feb 23 cruise and i recieved that art no problem.

Of You who bought 100-1200 dollars of art ? Would you hire an attorney for that i think it would cost you more for the lawyer then the cost of the art? I think it would cost that to fight them to get that little bit of money back. I am sure a Luciel Radd at 89 bucks isnt worth going though a lawyer and paying a retainer?

I am just saying threatening media attention worked. I got my money refunded. Everyone else is still waiting for results.

It was the only thing that did work. Everyone else i traveld with is still waiting for there money back. They were not even told another company was going to ship anything to them we recieved a copy of a law suit and a letter stating we had to wait until the law suit was settled to get out money back.

I have seen these law suits take years to settle.

and to be honest i dont have years. I have breast and adrenial cancer. Ill be dead in a few years so my money is better lining my pockets then theirs.

I plan on continuing to cruise until i can cruise no more. But maybe with another ship after my currently booked cruises are over.

Yes it is their fight EXACTLY for NCL to pass the problem on to its consumers is horrific to say the least. Expecially when it is NCL that took and has our money? Well not mine any more but the other consumers money!

I had purchased a signed numbered lithograph and an original oil painting and an original sketch Now how is another company supposedly going to give me these exact items? As you know a similar item in art jsut dont cut it! Think about it, one of a kind? Not a reproduction.

And i had to fight tooth and nail to get my money returned.

bad typing bad spelling and bad grammer ? I still have a right to voice my opinion and also to let others know what recourse actually worked for me!

i see you went on the dream in november the company already had a court dispute and had refused to ship art in august! i was on june 24 dawn bought art in the middle of august i was told by fine art whole salers that ncl owed them 40 million dallars for art they already shipped to customers and was not sending out any more art until they got there money. ncl continued to sell art at auction into november under the name fine art whole salers i had a friend on a cruise on the dawn in november. They said they were still auctioning under the preface of fine art whole salers when the sales were no longer being honered by this company as of mid august.

interesting...someone using someone else's name in business is a big no-no. Irrespective of what the dispute is between the parties continuing to sell using someone else's name by itself can result in a judgement for millions of dollars. Someone originally said there is a lawsuit. I have yet to see it reported anywhere in any of the cruise related publications. There is more to this than you have been told. Sometimes names can be close...saying I am a fine art wholesaler is different from saying " I am the Fine Art Wholesaler, LLC"....I know its the pesky little "a" and "the"....

interesting...someone using someone else's name in business is a big no-no. Irrespective of what the dispute is between the parties continuing to sell using someone else's name by itself can result in a judgement for millions of dollars. Someone originally said there is a lawsuit. I have yet to see it reported anywhere in any of the cruise related publications. There is more to this than you have been told. Sometimes names can be close...saying I am a fine art wholesaler is different from saying " I am the Fine Art Wholesaler, LLC"....I know its the pesky little "a" and "the"....
well the forms when we bought the art as well state fine art wholesales i dont know if the llc is behind it ? i dont have it in front of me! i do know that NCL sent me a copy of the lawsuit. I do not have a scanner or i would scan it and post it here some how. i am new to this board so i dont know how to do all that. I do know and pointed out to NCL the fact that the law suit page I recieved has a date of filing with the court BEFORE My sailing date I dont know if that is fraud? They accepted my money for art work they knew they could not deliver because of the law suit? by acceting my money for art work they did something wrong I am sure by not telling me and telling my credit card company the pitcures were in the mail when indeed there was a court order junction blocking all shipping of art at the time I purchaed my art and they did not tell me must of broken some law. but that is not my purpose or effort here. I was jsut trying to tell people who are getting frustrated and upset becasue they havent gotten there art back and havent gotten a refund if they really want to end the BS to just threaten media attention to the matter it seems to work for people trying to get there money back it worked for me anyhow? i cant say if it worked for anyone else everyone i know personally is still waiting for a response or a refund? I honestly cant say if another person besides me had any success getting ther emoney refunded.

Good grammer bad grammer no matter. a few bucks or a few thousand bucks no matter i was able to get results. that is the only point i was trying to make. Other then that I admit I am upset that "i feel NCL tried to pull a fast one on me. I learned my lesson and i got my money back. I will not buy any more big ticlet items On any NCL ship.

I have to admit though i bought a tanzinite ring worth alot more then i paid for it:-) But burn me once shame on you burn me twice shame on me!

To be honest if anyther cruise line offered the extent of free style cruising that NCL offers i would never travel another NCL ship as long as I live..... But the fact is I am not booked on one but two more NCL cruises this year. I booked them while on my last trip. I am not going to cancel I am going to enjoy my self!

First, let me say that I'm on your side, teeya. I have been down this same road. My sister got a refund. However, she didn't threaten to call Shame on You Channel 2. I doubt that threatening NCL with the media did anything. NCL could care less about your Channel 2's wagging finger and it's minimal coverage area. It's a little naive to think that NCL would even give your local reporter an answer.

Yes, they gave you your money after you mentioned going to media but they probably would have given you your money regardless. More than likely it was because you were 'the squeaky wheel.'

Your not doing yourself any favors with your grammar, either. God knows mine isn't perfect but it's so bad, I'm almost ashamed to say I'm on your side. I know your intentions are good and you're a smart guy but you're coming across as less than intelligent. Unfortunately, perception is reality.

Lastly, to feel shame requires a conscience. :)

Actually, they SHOULD care about a little station doing a story on them. Why? Because each TV network has a daily news feed. When a story done by a local affiliate is of national interest, it is often picked up on the daily news feed and distributed nationally. Since people from all over the country cruise, I would think this story would be a candidate for that feed.

Don't underestimate the power of the media.

Archived