Uk Nationwide Credit Card Holders

venezia98

If you use a Nationwide credit card abroad you know you will get the best rate of exchange. Celebrity give you the opportunity to nominate whether they will exchange your on board account or allow your credit card company to do it. Although we nominated Nationwide for the exchange from $'s into £'s

they ignored this instruction, converting our account at £1 = $1.82 and they did exactly the same to friends who were on a previous cruise. Nationwide exchange rate at this time is £1 = $1.89. It can make a lot of difference.

Nationwide are raising a dispute over this charge for us. I have spoken to Royal Caribbean customer relations at Weybridge. CHECK YOUR NATIONWIDE BILLS!!!

Thanks this happened to us last year. Last cruise even though I had done on line checkin when we were boarding I rechecked that there was to be no conversion but the lasy found the instruction had not been transferred over (?how when I check a box on line??) anyway she was very nice and sorted it all out so I would also suggest you double check at check in time

I had the exact same thing happen to me on the Century recently. I have a nationwide card specifically for foreign spending and even though I requested Celebrity bill me in US$ when I got my credit card statement they had charged my card in £'s. I was about £14.00 out of pocket through their exchange rates vs Nationwide. I called Celebrity customer relations and they told me to put it in writing and after 5 weeks I got a letter of apology and a cheque for £14.00.

I am glad other people are aware of this. It is sharp practice by Celebrity just think of all the extra money they make on this, why should we be penalised for not being US$ credit card holders?

I urge anyone else to complain to Celebrity if this happens to them. Perhaps if enough people raise the issue they will drop this practice of disregarding passengers instructions.

Thats it, rant over!!!

My experience has been that most credit cards (I Have had a few :rolleyes: )charge a better rate of exchange than the cruise line.

Certainly worth having the bill in US$. If, like us you enjoy the Martini Bar the bill for a couple of weeks can be large enough that the exchange rate can make a difference - maybe even a few more drinks worth :) .

PS Now might be the time to stock up on dollars. With the market rate now being over £1 / $1.90 even the bureau de change will give you approx $1.85 for your hard earned pound.

Well this is a nice thread. I was beginning to think I was the only British cruiser on this forum!

I'm sure you know this already, (since you are obviously all savvy types) but using US online travel companies is another way of making the most of the exchange rate. They mostly seem to have local telephone rates too if you prefer to book by calling. :)

No you are not alone. Also Scotsman I lived in Kirkcaldy for 22 years before moving to Harrogate in 1998. So yes there are a few of us here!

As regards the currency question. I always check my details when I am boarding and they have always been correct. I do it just in case as I had previously read on these boards about it happening to others. This was prior to my T/A cruise Galaxy and now I am sailing on Century on the 25th September. Quite a few Brits on that roll call.

I have used a Nationwide for many years recommended by Martin Lewis Moneysaving expert.

I have in the past year or so obtained my foreign currency from Marks and Spencer as their rate has always been higher than Banks TA or Post Office. It all adds up and I don't ever change left over currency back I just hold on to it.

Happy holidays

Sue

Archived