Cruising with a baby

cruise with baby

Going on our first cruise with our 12 month old little girl. She is so good and such a happy child. We can take her to church, out to dinner to pretty decent places and she acts like an angel. She will be in a small stroller and we have zero expectations of our daily activities. We know we won't be participating in evening events and will be hanging in our cabin during nap time. We just want to be together as a family and relax on our first real vacation since having her.

Question: Anyone out there just cringing thinking a baby will be on a cruise??

I don't cringe, but I have a 2 year old and a 3 year old :D . My older daughter and I went with my best friend and her parents on a Holland America cruise last year when she was 28 months old. I saw absolutely no cringing looks directed my way (and I was looking) and my daughter was treated so well, both by cruise staff and by fellow passengers. There were very few children on this cruise. I made sure that if my daughter was making any kind of annoying noise (either happy or upset,) I removed her from crowds. I generally tried to keep her away from crowds. Since she wasn't potty trained at that time, I certainly didn't try to get her into any pools on the ship. I'd have to say that the cruise we went on was one of the highlights of my life since my daughter came into it. It's too bad my DH and other child weren't there with us too! All four of us are going on a holiday cruise this year though!

The Specialty Cruising section of this board has a Family Cruising area. It has some really great hints on how to deal with having a baby or child on a cruise.

I'm sure you will have a wonderful time on your cruise -- I especially enjoyed the no cooking and no cleaning up (other than my child and myself) during the cruise. It was a true vacation for me.

Before last week, I would have said NO, no cringe here. But after listening to the baby cry from the balcony above us for half the week, it changed my mind a little bit.

It seemed from what we saw that it was nap time, the little tike didn't want to sleep, so the mom and dad went out on the balcony to be out of site. BUT, leaving the door open so they could hear the child each day. That child was in a different place then ever before and screamed it's lungs out each afternoon at nap time for what seemed an eternity. Did it bother us? Well of coarse it did. We were enjoying the solitude of our balcony and all we could hear was a screaming baby. ARGH! This also went on most evenings too, which kept us inside instead of outside where we wanted to be.

I think some don't realize that even though their child is perfect at home, taking them out of their rountine does not do a lot for the childs attitude towards the situation. :(

Other than that, only problem we had with kids onboard, were the strollers that seemed to be lined up at each elevator. Took the stairs a lot as it didn't hurt us a bit. But between the wheelchairs, scooters and the strollers, elevators were a bit hard to come by on this cruise.

cmacfi,

Thank you so much for your tips and support. We would be extremely aware of others cruisers solitude and give the same respect. As for the other poster and the crying baby, maybe they were not aware that the baby could be heard from your balcony. You should have kindly let them know and asked them to close the door. If they didn't know then they probably would have understood. Luckly, our child has slept on a subway and several other different environments. We are very moble with her and she is so adapable.

No cringing here. My wife and I took a Princess cruise in October last year with our DD who was a few days shy of her first birthday. It was a wonderful vacation and you will find, depite the critics, that both crew members (who are missing their families) and passengers (who have their own families and similar experiences) will be helpful and supportive. In fact, my DD got so much attention in the Horizon Court that we had to feed her in our room so that she would actually eat and not socialize with the crew and other passengers. I say Good Luck and if you have questions I will be glad to answer them as best I can.

Going on our first cruise with our 12 month old little girl. She is so good and such a happy child. We can take her to church, out to dinner to pretty decent places and she acts like an angel. She will be in a small stroller and we have zero expectations of our daily activities. We know we won't be participating in evening events and will be hanging in our cabin during nap time. We just want to be together as a family and relax on our first real vacation since having her.

Yep tons of them...and god forbid if your baby doesn't wear formal wear in it's stroller on Formal Night...:rolleyes:

Tony

:cool: :eek: :cool:

Just came back from the Crown traveling w/two 3 yr olds. It sounds like you are already totally prepared, knowing that you probably won't be able to participate in too many on board activities or excursions. But you will be able to totally relax & play with your baby while somebody else cleans your room, prepares your food & serves you! Many people recommend bringing a small blow up pool so your baby can splash about in some water. They do have a baby pool outside the kids club but it was drained half the time so no water (maybe find out if they have a set schedule for cleaning it).

I took my twin one-year olds on the Sapphire in February and, after reading these boards, was happily surprised to find that they were treated like queens by the staff and passengers alike. Of course, it's a completely different vacation with baby (or babies in my case), but I found it's the greatest way to travel with them. I brought along a bottle of wine to give to each of the cabins next to me, but they both swore they never heard my girls.

Not only were there a number of toddlers on board, but we were one of three sets of twins. I think the ship does a great job of creating a way for everyone to co-exist on board happily.

You're going to have a great time!

Best,

Mia

The problem is alot of people traveling with babies aren't as considerate as you. On my last cruise a family at a dinner table next to mine would not take their squalling child out of the dining room. They just kept bouncing it up and down which had no effect. In general as long as you take the child out of the room when it cries most people are fine with it.

Another thing that we watched last week on the CB with all of the children onboard. The families did just great the first few days, kids were happy, parents were happy, everything was just wonderful.

But towards the end of the week, things were going downhill. The happy groups that started the cruise were now cranky. Parents were yelling at kids in the dining areas, threatening them loudly. Kids were crying and screaming back at the parents. Geeeeezzzzzzz! I felt like I was in a discount store. :(

Agreed, there are some that travel with children that do a bang up job of traveling. Others seem to wear down quickly as the cruise progresses. :(

I LOVE the idea of giving wine (or something) to your neighbors on either side:) . In our case, since we will have 5 cabins between all the members of the family, hopefully in a row, we'll put us with the kids in the middle. We have inside cabins, so there's no possibility of our kids bothering people on the balcony.

Actually there might be a few, but don't let them ruin your family vacation. You will find the crew will bend over backward for you and your child. Just remember to be courteous and remove yourselves if the child gets cranky in the dining room or other venues.

Have a great trip! :)

I love kids, but I always feel sorry for people who bring really small children/infants on a cruise. You pay through the nose and you miss out on so much. The kids will remember nothing and the close quarters of cruise ships are not condusive to strollers. I say leave the kids with grandparents and enjoy a honeymoon time just the 2 of you.

Actually, there is plenty of room for strollers, which are no bigger than wheelchairs (I've cruised with both and never had a problem).

I also heard the "but they won't remember it" comments from my friends before our last cruise, but the time on board with my girls away from the stresses of home was for me - and it can't hurt the babies to spend some stress-free quality time with their parents. Our week on board was the best we've had together as a family. Also, it's much more economical than going to a resort or Disney, so no need to feel sorry for us!

Best,

Mia

I realize that the OP's kiddo is younger, but we took our granddaughter to Alaska when she was just shy of 3. She still talks about "going to Laska with my family." It takes some planning and a little compromising but it can be done and it's worth it.

I agree with Donna -- planning is everything.

When my daughter was a baby, we traveled with her all the time, including several trips to FL when she was still a baby. I was always prepared with enough diapers, juice, etc. to keep her happy and she was never a problem. It amazed me then, and still amazes me, how many parents are unprepared or inflexible when it comes to traveling with a small child.

On our recent Sea Princess cruise, there were a number of very small children and only once was I aware of a baby crying the dining room. The parents immediately removed her and all was well. There was one couple with a small child (maybe 9 mo.?) that were ALWAYS smiling -- big grins -- including the baby. They took the baby everywhere, including to late traditional dining which started at 8:30PM. It was truly a pleasure to see this family having such a wonderful time and enjoying themselves.

cmacfi,

Thank you so much for your tips and support. We would be extremely aware of others cruisers solitude and give the same respect. As for the other poster and the crying baby, maybe they were not aware that the baby could be heard from your balcony. You should have kindly let them know and asked them to close the door. If they didn't know then they probably would have understood. Luckly, our child has slept on a subway and several other different environments. We are very moble with her and she is so adapable.

Please be aware that rooms are not sound proof and a crying baby can be heard through the walls into the next room. We have heard arguing, crying babies, dogs barking and children playing (this was the worst...it never stopped). It is impossible to "get away" from people when your baby is not being the angel you know her to be. And if you fly.....same problems.

I would not dream of bringing a baby on a cruise, however I admire those who do so. I cruise to relax and there is little time to relax with an infant. We started cruising when the youngest was 5. That was the perfect age.

If you want to bring your baby, that is great. I am just glad it isn't me.

Our daughter is 4 and will be going on her 3rd cruise. We have never had a problem with her. On her first cruise at 7 months, a couple in a table booth in front of us noticed her on the last night and didn't even realize until then that she was even there. On the note that a young child won't remember, she still talks about going to camp on a cruise through the PC when she was 2.

You sound like a very responsible parent. As others have said, just be aware that if your child cries she will be heard from neighboring cabins. I was once next to a couple with two very small children. They had the late seating at dinner and took the poor, tired children to the late shows. They cried, from being over tired and were extremely annoying to be next to. In this case I blame the parents without a doubt. Had these same children been on an earlier schedule, they probably would have been fine. And, not only did they stay up as late as we did, but they were up early in the morning squealing and jumping on the beds. That was the last time I sailed on Carnival but it could happen on any cruiseline.

Have a wonderful time with your little one. I am sure everything will be just great if you remain as responsible as you sound.:D

You may want to look at what ships have babysitting available. We took my youngest on her first cruise when she was about 18 months. Too young for the kids program, but Celebrity had in-room babysitting available. It is a nice option to have, even though you may not need it. While Princess is my favorite cruise line, they don't have anything to give you some relief if you have a kid under 3. I'd look at other lines that give you some options.

Archived