Best Cruise Line for Teens

wee-haggis

We just arrived back from our first cruise, Disney Wonder and we all really loved it. We are thinking of doing another cruise but there is so much choice we are unsure which to book. We have a 13 year old and a 15 year old and the whole family likes to be casual, we are not into formal dressing especially on holiday so a lot of choice for dinner would be nice. Leaning toward Royal Carribean, any comments or suggestions ?

Thanks

We just returned from the (RCL) Serenade (Alaska)...My girls had a blast! There is so much to do and the girls made friends right away...they hung out with a nice group of about 10 kids and the kids still keep in touch...cell phones (free nationwide) adn myspace/email...they made friends from not only the US but Canada and the UK...what an experince...they were usually in the teen club(Feul) but some times went to the Seaview or Windjammer for a snack...to the pool bar for sodas or to a scheduled activity (such as swing dance class) together...I did allow my girls to have dinner with the teen group 2 nights of our curise...they had so much fun! The kids they hung out with were all very polite and I did make a point to speak to each one ( to say hello and know their names/where they were from) to get an idea of the groups 'personality'

Now in 'real life' I am very strict...so we went on the ship with some rules that I amended when we got onboard...ie: you will have dinner with us every night...you will be in the cabin at 9:30...I just played it by ear and admended as it was necessary.

. We used the phone onboard (not cell phones)...if the girls were going to the teen club they called the room and left a message when they got there,,,if they were going to the windjammer, they called the room and left a message...that way all I had to do was check the messages and knew what was going on.

*One more thing...I did randomly check to make sure they were where they said they were...I randomly walked into "Feul" to see what was going on,...the kids even got to know me and would say...'hey, theres your mom" or..."Hi {Stacys} mom...the girls are at the pool bar getting sodas"...and that way my girls knew to be where they said they would be...Just like at home;)

**sorry this ended up long...it was just such a good time for my girls..all they want to do is go on anther curise!...:cool:

This is part of what I posted on another thread...but I LOVE RoyalCaribbeans Kids/Teen programs...and if you or you kiddos dont like to dress up, (maybe they will try it just once ;) ) there are lots of other options...and remember, "Formal Night" is not as much of a big deal as people make it out to be...slacks or pants( other than jeans) and some shirt or top (other than a tshirt) are perfectly acceptable...in spite of what you read on these boards...the reality is most people dont dress to what I'd really consider formal (including me)...

There is a link to my pics from our Alaskan Cruise on my sig...just click the link and I you will see what a great time we had...

Id be happy to answer any questions you have too.....:)

If casual is what you are after and the kids want a good teen program I would suggest NCL. They have freestyle dining with casual dress: it is very relaxed and I have yet to talk to a teen in the age group of your kids that didn't have a great time and make new friends. On our last cruise we had gotten to know, through CC BTW, a family traveling with their 15 year old daughter and her best friend. Apparently the girls cried or almost did the last night as they didn't want the cruise to end. They had a blast. Of course all lines offer teen programs (HAL not as active, I may add) but NCL is the one that will offer both the casual atmosphere and the good program. Just my opinion. NMNIta

Thanks for your response. I think I will look more into RCCL. Your pictures were great, everyone looked nice on formal nights.

Thanks,... and as you saw we were not really dressed formal (ok, the girls wore their prom dresses one night)...but serioulsy we were more dressed up than many-many people and no one thinks anything about it...but like I said you can get away with kakhis adn a polo style shirt if that is what your comfortable in ...no one really cares...their are other dinning options too, but if you dont want to miss out on the menu in the dining room on 'formal nites' there is no reason to,,,it is not about what you wear..and if casual is more your style..go for it...you will have a wonderful time no matter what you decide!

I just love cruising , dont you!!!:p :)

Archived