Poll

Sky Sweet

How do you feel about Celebrity's new liquor policy?  

118 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about Celebrity's new liquor policy?

• My cruise will be ruined if I can't bring my own wine
    • The wine available at sea is not as good as mine, but this factor is not that important to me
    • It doesn't affect me because I have always found an acceptable wine at sea
    • It doesn't affect me because I don't drink
    • It doesn't affect me because I only have a few drinks during a cruise
    • I will no longer cruise on Celebrity because of this policy
    • I consider the wine available in the specialty restaurant to be a good compromise
    • I will figure out a way to circumvent this policy and do as I please

How do you feel about Celebrity's new policy about taking liquor aboard?

I am very unhappy with their wine policy. I prefer to buy a few and bring a few bottles and this new policy will prevent that.

I have no problem paying for my occasional martini or after dinner port, but prefer to drink wines of my own choosing, without an excessive mark up.

I am very unhappy with their wine policy. I prefer to buy a few and bring a few bottles and this new policy will prevent that.

I have no problem paying for my occasional martini or after dinner port, but prefer to drink wines of my own choosing, without an excessive mark up.

I echo caviargal's comment. I see no problem with bringing wine aboard, and have no problem purchasing a few bottles on board and brining a few from home for various occasions. I have never smuggled alcohol aboard and feel this new policy is a bit excessive.

Why don't you all handle this the same way we handled it when Jack Williams wanted to raise the corkage fee from $8 to $20? About 200 people emailed and called him in one day saying we will accept $15 but $20 is excessive. That policy was changed within 48 hours.

Write Dan Hanrahan en masse and express your displeasure.

I, too, chose to bring on a few bottles. One of my complaints was that I like a good Sharaz and X only carries two, neither one of which is to my liking. With the great beef dishes, I will miss my favorites. And for those who still don't get that it's not about money, once again, buying the wine, dragging it half way across the world and paying a $15 corkage does not make for a cheaper drink. Only a more pleasing one.

Do I not get 'POLLS'? I thought that was where you were offered different choices to vote on like Susan offered. Asking 'how do you feel' is just a thread (or maybe group therapy). Or am I wrong?

Although we do enjoy our wines, select them with care, and split a bottle almost every night of the year, we've been able to find something that's at least adequate on every cruise. Inability to bring our own wine aboard will not ruin our vacation.

Nevertheless, I can see by the responses on this and other threads that this is a very significant, emotional issue for many. If, as I suspect, someone at X does track this board then they would be wise to pay attention to the dialog around this change in policy. It's penny wise but pound foolish to chase away significant repeat business in a very transparent attempt to raise revenue.

When did this change take effect? This will definitely make a difference in our future plans...we always take a few bottles of our favorites knowing that we will be charged the corkage -- no problem, at least we get what we like! Is this a prelude to X dumping the sommeliers? I certainly hope not, IMHO that is part of the ambiance of the dining experience.

When did this change take effect? This will definitely make a difference in our future plans...we always take a few bottles of our favorites knowing that we will be charged the corkage -- no problem, at least we get what we like! Is this a prelude to X dumping the sommeliers? I certainly hope not, IMHO that is part of the ambiance of the dining experience.

The Sommelier on Mercury told me that they were being phased out. I hope it is not true:(.

The change was effective 7/28/06.

there really wasn't a choice that fits us: I wish we could or would smuggle but it just isn't us: we order a bar set up ahead of time and will just have to live with buying wine for dinner. This is the part that bothers me: no wine in our room like we are accustom to having. We will learn to live with this, but will certainly check other lines for sailing. It will not stop us from cruising Celebrity but will cause us to think about it. NMNita

What NEW policy? I have been hearing about this so-called 'new policy' for a long time. We have always brought a few bottles onboard and either drank in our room while getting ready for dinner or brought to the dining room and paid a corkage fee ($12-$15). Never a problem; always brought the bottles on either in hand luggage or bags when purchased in port (Italy, Greece, Spain). Never stopped when open and above board. As far as I know the policy is enforced differently on each ship and you never know if it will be applied. So...is there a NEW statement of the existing policy or is this a new iteration of the same old discussion??

I did not "vote" because I would have chosen one of your answers as the others did not apply.

First, I want to point out that wine is NOT liquor. The original question asks about our feelings about the liquor policy. Since I don't bring liquor, the policy doesn't bother me a bit.

But I do take issue with what is now a new wine policy. I'm not sure what to make of this "poll" when the choices are so obviously framed to elicit the response the poll creator intends. So, like caviargal and many others, I'll pass on this. Nu2sea's potential poll choices more accurately reflect our mindset. We are very unhappy with the new policy as it impacts bringing wine aboard. And like tuggers, we have already voiced displeasure with a letter to Dan Hanrahan.

If I could have chosen the following I would have answered the poll.

I like to bring local wines as gifts or to share with others

I like to bring a special wine for a special occasion.

I am actively lobbying Celebrity to get them to change their policy.

I would have answered all/any of the above if I was given them as part of the original question.

Maybe someone will set up a poll with some of the suggested questions. That way if any corporate people do take a look they will have a better idea of what the people who actually drink the wine think.

Funny you should mention...

I just did, hoping to produce some usable information.

Susan

What NEW policy? I have been hearing about this so-called 'new policy' for a long time. We have always brought a few bottles onboard and either drank in our room while getting ready for dinner or brought to the dining room and paid a corkage fee ($12-$15). Never a problem; always brought the bottles on either in hand luggage or bags when purchased in port (Italy, Greece, Spain). Never stopped when open and above board. As far as I know the policy is enforced differently on each ship and you never know if it will be applied. So...is there a NEW statement of the existing policy or is this a new iteration of the same old discussion??

This is NOT the same old discussion. On July 28th, RCI implemented a new policy company wide (X and RCI) that included wine. It is no longer permissable to bring it aboard.

The company recently hired a former FBI man to head up security for their lines and several changes have been implemented since his arrival. I saw the policy being enforced last weekend when boarding an RCI ship. They now confiscate and discard any liquor or wine being carried aboard. And, staff have had special training in the new policies.

Their new policy is zero tolerance. I expect that the enforcement will be pretty consistent.

Folks, opinions are like noses. Everyone has one and none are ever the same; and, like noses, one's opinion, by definition, can never be wrong; just different.

Please discuss the subject, not each other. Thanks.

I'm not sure what to make of this "poll" when the choices are so obviously framed to elicit the response the poll creator intends. So, like caviargal and many others, I'll pass on this. Nu2sea's potential poll choices more accurately reflect our mindset.

I'm in agreement here. I did not vote.

In light of some of the comments on this thread, I decided to take a second look at the options I gave. Since half of the categories are appropriate for people who have brought their own liquor/wine in the past, while the other half aren't, I consider it to be a fair poll. With that in mind, it appears that the silent majority has spoken :)

there really wasn't a choice that fits us: I wish we could or would smuggle but it just isn't us: we order a bar set up ahead of time and will just have to live with buying wine for dinner. This is the part that bothers me: no wine in our room like we are accustom to having. We will learn to live with this, but will certainly check other lines for sailing. It will not stop us from cruising Celebrity but will cause us to think about it. NMNita

I agree with you. I will not stop sailing Celebrity, but I will still pack my champagne in my luggage for consumption in my room and if it is confiscated, so be it. I will just have to do without my nightly glass of the bubbly!

If they confiscate the wine or liquor it signifies that it will be destroyed. If they collect it they will return it at the end of the cruise. Or are they taking it to put on their bars to reduce their costs?Are the Greek security officers familiar with anything other than Ouzo?

Archived