Enough time to go to St John??

sailin~away

We have been to St Thomas a couple of times and always do the tour of the island...which we like because of the beautiful pictures....We are going again in October and really want to go over to St Johns this time b/c we have never been, but are traveling with family who has never been to St Thomas before and want to do the tour.

Our ship docks at 8am and leaves out at 4:30.....The city tour is usually around 2 hours...Do you think we still have enough time to hop over to St John and enjoy a couple hours there?

Appreciate your help!

If I were you I would skip the city tour as you have already done it a couple of times, and just concentrate on going to St. John. I would try to get off the ship right away, and take a cab to Red Hook to catch the 9am ferry, then try to catch an early afternoon ferry back, allowing yourself a couple of hours to spare. St. John is beautiful, we spend the day at Trunk Bay usually.

I just really feel it would be pushing it too close to try and do both... you are on vacation and should be relaxed :D !

Hope this helps, and happy cruise planning!

I agree with the other poster, skip the island tour. Grab a cab to Red Hook and catch the ferry to St. John. Make sure you have cash, also there

is a small fee to enter trunk bay, 3 bucks pp or something like that. St. John is beautiful..

I would definitely suggest trying to spend the day on St John although trying to do it after the city tour would be cutting it very close IMO, you might find by the time you get over to STJ you'll only have time to walk around Cruz Bay a bit with no time to go to the beach (I suggest Hawksnest, Trunk Bay or Cinnamon Bay). We just spent a week on St John in late June and it's an absolutely beautiful island. Of course, you have the difficulty of traveling with another family who hasn't been to St Thomas before so you would either need to do separate excursions or convince them to go to St John instead of doing the city tour.

On our Radiance cruise, we arrived St. Thomas, took a taxi to the city dock and then the 'ferry' to St. John. I had prebooked a 'personal tour' via the St. John web site and the driver was there and waiting for us. We had a grand tour around the island with stops for 'refreshments' and some sights the usual tourists do not see and then back to the ferry dock. We had lunch there and then caught the other ferry to Red Hook - where a driver was waiting for us (usual tour fee - not an extra cost) and did a brief tour of St. Thomas before back to the ship. Next time it will be 2 weeks - not one day - there!!

On our Radiance cruise, we arrived St. Thomas, took a taxi to the city dock and then the 'ferry' to St. John. I had prebooked a 'personal tour' via the St. John web site and the driver was there and waiting for us. We had a grand tour around the island with stops for 'refreshments' and some sights the usual tourists do not see and then back to the ferry dock. We had lunch there and then caught the other ferry to Red Hook - where a driver was waiting for us (usual tour fee - not an extra cost) and did a brief tour of St. Thomas before back to the ship. Next time it will be 2 weeks - not one day - there!!

Can you give us the tour company information or a link to their website? That sounds like a great way to spend the day! Thanks!

Hi, Going to St. Thomas in Nov. and want to go to St John. Don't want to take the cruise ship tour if I can help it. It is always cheaper if you book your own tour and it is always less crowded and fun... Yours sounded great. How did you find your tour guide? Thanks... Kathy

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to agree with both Joe & Jeane. Try to be as close to the front of the line of passengers waiting to get off your ship in St. Thomas, and snag one of the cabs waiting near the pier to the Red Hook Ferry. Here you'll find a "titki hut"type of a building selling tickets to Cruz Bay (name of the bay where the ferry docks in St. John). Buy your tickets as early as possible to avoid hearing "sorry, that trip is sold out":-(

TIP: When you board the ferry, try to claim a seat on the upper deck. The view on the ride over is absolutely BEAUTIFUL:-)

Once your ferry ties up and passengers are allowed to disembark, you can snag a cab to Trunk Bay Beach and enjoy some time on one of the ten most beautiful beaches in the world. (actually rated that in a travel magazine I was reading recently), or you can simply walk into town where you'll find many quaint little shops and a very nice smalltown atmoshere for stolling/ shopping/eats/drinks, etc.

If you're in the mood for a very "unique" tropical lunch before you head back to catch your ferry, Try DUFFY'S LOVE SHACK. (Located on the main downtown street only about 1 block from the ferry). Fantastic food & drinks here:-).

Knowing how stressful it can be plan an excursion to somewhere you've never been before (especially involving a ferry) I took the liberty of finding the Red Hook ferry schedule for you. (I find it helpful to print it and bring it with me).

By going over to St. John FIRST, will allow you whatever time you have remaining to show your friends around Havensight, Charlotte Amaille, and can even ride the tram up to Paradise Point for a breathtaking view of the harbor area & surrounding islands. (The Tramway base is only about a 2 block walk from the ships)

Here's the Red Hook Ferry schedule:http://www.varlack-ventures.com/vvfiles/4_ferry-schedules.htm

and the website for the Paradise Point Tramway: http://paradisepointtramway.com/

And last, but not least, the website for DUFFY'S: http://www.duffysloveshack.com/

Enjoy St. John! (and then St. Thomas again:-)

Annie

Archived