Ryndam Verandah Staterooms

morriscats

The difference has to do with location on the ship and the deck. Supposedly if you are on a higher deck near midship there is less motion noticed and people prone to seasickness do better. DH and I've been on the Ryndam in a category B and BB on the same deck (101 and 133). No difference in the cabin itself, just location.

Duck Tune is right about it being a matter of location, but I disagree that higher is better for less motion.

Less motion is felt the lower and more mid-ship you are. Higher on the ship has a certain penache probably based on the view.

I agree with RuthC about the motion issue being less the lower you are - it's just been something I've noticed TA's seem to push (probably because the higher priced cabins are located higher on the ship!). I had one TA trying to get me to move to a cabin 7 doors away insisting it would be much better. Frankly, I'm more interested in being away from high noise areas if possible such as right by the stairs or elevators as people tend to stand right outside the cabin door and carry on conversations.

Can someone please explain the difference between B, BA, and BB staterooms - they are all on the same deck. I would assume that A is higher because it is on a higher deck? I am confused and trying to book a room.

B cabins are mostly amidships while BA and BB are forward or aft. We have travelled in cabins forward, amidships, and aft and haven't experienced much difference in motion. Remember, the forward cabins are still a hundred feet or more from the bow.

We have booked a B Verandah suite for next April on the Ryndam. Since motion does not bother us (My DW uses Bonine) that is not one of the considerations. What we do look for are:

What is the chance of noise above the cabin?

How close and how far from the nearest elevator (lift)? - not too far,not too close - two cabins away is ideal.

What is the prevailing wind? (in our case we selected the starboard side since the prevailing winds are from the West and we would rather have them on our balcony going south rather than going north.) On our Panama Canal trip a few years ago, we selected the starboard side and had a sheltered balcony going south to the canal and then going north to San Diego.

How far from the laundry? (not a big consideration for some).

It is a plus if there are no inside cabins across from you. (All B cabins on the Ryndam do not have cabins across from them).

Picking the right cabin can greatly enhance the enjoyment of your cruise so consider all factors carefully. Your TA should be able to help you on this.

Good Luck

SaltwaterTwo

Archived