Crown and QM2 in Red Hook Port on 9/30

seadays4me

Will be taking our first Princess Cruise on the Crown leaving Red Hook, Brooklyn on 9/21/06 and returning on 9/30/06. I noticed that the Queen Mary 2 will be in port on the same day that we return. They both use the Red Hook Terminal. I thought that only one ship could dock there at a time, but I could be wrong. Does anybody have an answer for this one? Hopefully, we won't have to tender in with luggage in tow.

I believe that QM2 is docking in Bayonne, NJ on 9/30 (that's what I've read on the Cunard boards), so no worries about tendering with luggage. :)

Thanks for the info, although I would prefer to dock in Bayonne my car will be parked in Brooklyn.

I've asked this before but it got lost in previous threads.

I had wondered about this date but was mainly concerned about October 18th. We are on the Crown leaving October 9th, returning to NY on October 18th. The Sea Princess is also supposed to be in NY on October 18th. As far as I know Red Hook only handles one ship.

Does anybody know what they are doing for October 18th?

EDIT - OK Colo Cruiser types faster than me! Red Hook can handle two ships???

Even if it can, I think for sure I will do express disembarkation. Could be crazy!

On September 30th the QM2 will dock at Cape Liberty, New Jersey and the Crown Princess will be in Red Hook. On October 18th the Sea Princess will dock in Manhattan and the Crown Princess will be in Red Hook. You can check these websites for ship docking information:

New York - www.nycruiseterminal.com (this includes Manhattan and Brooklyn cruise terminals)

For general worldwide port information check the cruise ship calendar - www.cruisecal.com

I do not believe Red Hook handles more than one ship right now although there are plans for it to handle multiple ships in the future.

Redsqj -

Even though the Crown will be the only ship when you disembark at Red Hook I recommend the express disembarkation if you can handle your own bags. I always do the express disembarkation so I can get off first. I have seen several posts on this thread about people not getting off the Crown at Red Hook until about 11:00 a.m. due to understaffing at the Red Hook terminal.

I take two carryons rather than one large suitcase so I can handle my own bags. The people who have done express disembarkation at Red Hook from the Crown have said they got off at about 8:30. I agree that the flight home is stressful enough without having to cool my heels for 2-3 hours waiting to get off the ship.

Redsqj -

Even though the Crown will be the only ship when you disembark at Red Hook I recommend the express disembarkation if you can handle your own bags. I always do the express disembarkation so I can get off first. I have seen several posts on this thread about people not getting off the Crown at Red Hook until about 11:00 a.m. due to understaffing at the Red Hook terminal.

I take two carryons rather than one large suitcase so I can handle my own bags. The people who have done express disembarkation at Red Hook from the Crown have said they got off at about 8:30. I agree that the flight home is stressful enough without having to cool my heels for 2-3 hours waiting to get off the ship.

Gee, I must be odd. They usually have to pry me off the ship at the last possible moment to get me to disembark. I like to stay on board and enjoy it as long as they will allow me to. I can't understand the rush to leave...:confused:

Gee, I must be odd. They usually have to pry me off the ship at the last possible moment to get me to disembark. I like to stay on board and enjoy it as long as they will allow me to. I can't understand the rush to leave...:confused:

I have a noon flight so getting off last is not an option for me. You also cannot stay in your cabin after about 8:00 a.m. which means you are sitting in some lounge tied to your luggage for several hours. You cannot move about the ship easily because of everyone being out of their cabin with luggage stacked everywhere, not to mention having to keep tabs on your own bags. There is no entertainment going on just people standing and sitting around waiting to get off. It is not the most enjoyable part of the journey to me. It always has a melancholy air to it.

Archived