Carry all your luggage on?

iwannacruz

Just read in the new Currents magazine (received on 9/2/06) that you now can carry on all your luggage when first getting on the ship. I have in the past taken my own luggage off on the last day, but never was allowed to bring more that a carryon when getting on the ship. We will be going on the Liberty in December out of Ft. Lauderdale and wondering if anyone has carried on all their own luggage?

We carried all of our luggage on to the Holiday just last week. We had 4 bags. The one thing you have to remember if doing this is, it HAS to fix the X-ray machine. So basically your luggage has to be a carry on size.

There was another thread in last couple of days on this and the decision was split if it was a new service or the standard carry on proceedure that has always been in place. One post said the suitcase size measurement was bigger than before indicating that there might be larger scanners. I think that it is a new service but have not heard of anyone actually posting that they have used it.

I'd rather see them shrink carry-ons down to half [or less] present size. It would speed up boarding just like the airlines. And the ONLY possible reason to lug everything with you is to stiff the porters. Like a buck a bag is a bunch of money!

Ya, Ya, I know, lost bags......46 cruises, 0 lost bags, that's the norm. To add perhaps hours to boarding times, plus having dufi [including me] banging my shins and ankles with their bags just on the off chance that someone, somewhere might someday have a bag misplaced for a few hours or days. Is the totally wrong way to look at life.

Dan

Thanks for all your thoughts on the subject. The question is whether or not Carnival has started something new or if they are doing what that have always done. If it is new, then is there a limit to the size and/or number of pieces you can carry on?

I'd rather see them shrink carry-ons down to half [or less] present size. It would speed up boarding just like the airlines. And the ONLY possible reason to lug everything with you is to stiff the porters. Like a buck a bag is a bunch of money!

Ya, Ya, I know, lost bags......46 cruises, 0 lost bags, that's the norm. To add perhaps hours to boarding times, plus having dufi [including me] banging my shins and ankles with their bags just on the off chance that someone, somewhere might someday have a bag misplaced for a few hours or days. Is the totally wrong way to look at life.

Dan

I agree. CArrying your luggage on and off the plane or the cruise ships slows everything down, holds up the process and may be easier for those who do this but inconsiderate of others in my opinion. We were on an RCI cruise about 8 years ago; there was a group of young people who choose to carry their luggage off. they almost jammed up the escalator, Were interferring with those who were trying to exit the ship and were just generally not caring about anyone but themselves. The only exception I could see would be a very early flight. We also noticed on NCL last April there were so many attempting to handle their own luggage that it really wasn't much faster if at all. NMNita

Guys, be aware that there are times when luggage can be damaged by porters and even lost (never makes it onboard). Carnival disclaims any responsibility for this by the way.

I have cruised Carnival 16 times and have seen luggage damaged and unclaimed outside the purser's desk on all cruises. On some cruises, the pursers have sent letters asking everyone to check their cabins to make sure they don't have someone else's luggage. In 1998, my luggage was never delivered to the terminal after the cruise - I had placed it outside our cabin the night before so either it was stolen, misidentified, or lost onboard somewhere.

Anyway, I do agree that everyone should use good judgment when deciding whether or not to carry on or carry off luggage. I have one suitcase and one carryon that is easy to control and I don't believe that I hold up the lines. However, the point about people trying to carry on/carry off too much is well taken. It is often comical to watch the person with two carryons, a large suitcase, garment bag, and bags of souvenirs, trying to make their way through the terminal buildings.

Carnival really needs to get a handle on this as it does slow the self-assist process down considerably.

Just read in the new Currents magazine (received on 9/2/06) that you now can carry on all your luggage when first getting on the ship. I have in the past taken my own luggage off on the last day, but never was allowed to bring more that a carryon when getting on the ship. We will be going on the Liberty in December out of Ft. Lauderdale and wondering if anyone has carried on all their own luggage?

Carrying on your own luggage is a Pain in the you know what because of all of they stairs, escalators and in most ports no elevators. Also its a great way to start a cruise with a pulled something like a Slipped Disk or a back injury. Let Carnival handle the big heavy luggage, you are on vacation, enjoy it, dont add to the stress. One last thing, if you are like me, I board around 11:30am and 85% of the time your cabin isnt ready so you have to lug all of your luggage up to Lido deck and wait.

Fred

Guys, be aware that there are times when luggage can be damaged by porters and even lost (never makes it onboard). Carnival disclaims any responsibility for this by the way.

I have cruised Carnival 16 times and have seen luggage damaged and unclaimed outside the purser's desk on all cruises. .

I been on various amounts of trips from nationwide and worldwide and even in war time where the troops carry, throw your luggage around like basketballs off a C-5 Aircraft.

1. If you have quailty type luggage, they will survive alittle more inpact, so pay the extra duckies if youre going to travel often.

2. Dont place items like Loptops in luggages, things that could possibly break.

3. The lost luggage found by the Pursers office is luggage that wasnt tagged or labled.

Fred

I don't understand what the fuss is about. We always have 4 checked bags and 2 carry ons. I can't believe that it is worth all the work to carry all this stuff onboard by yourself just to save $5. I have always had my bags before dinner and most times before the muster drill.

I don't understand what the fuss is about. We always have 4 checked bags and 2 carry ons. I can't believe that it is worth all the work to carry all this stuff onboard by yourself just to save $5. I have always had my bags before dinner and most times before the muster drill.

I agree... help out the porters and slip them a few dollars. After all, your on vacation. Spend a little.

Thanks for all your thoughts on the subject. The question is whether or not Carnival has started something new or if they are doing what that have always done. If it is new, then is there a limit to the size and/or number of pieces you can carry on?

On another thread I did read in a post that the size of the baggage which could be carried on board had changed (I have not looked at the Carnival website or the Welcome Aboard booklet myself yet to see) other than that there does not seem to be a real answer to your question yet. Those who have posted that they brought their own luggage on recently either stated that they followed the size code (but did not say which size code) or stated that they were carry-on size bags.

At least for me, the issue has nothing to do with tipping porters. It is simply weighing the minor discomfort of carrying on a carry-on and suitcase with the potential of losing luggage and contents which are valuable when you consider you have formal wear, shoes, camcorders, liquor (oops!!), etc.

Trust me, it happens more than you would think.

Also, I just returned from Port Canaveral. I thought it interesting to read a sign at the terminal entrance that said Porters wages are based on salary . .tipping not required. I've never seen this at othe rports.

At least for me, the issue has nothing to do with tipping porters. It is simply weighing the minor discomfort of carrying on a carry-on and suitcase with the potential of losing luggage and contents which are valuable when you consider you have formal wear, shoes, camcorders, liquor (oops!!), etc.

Anything that is that valuable should either be in your carryon with you, or left at home. I would never put my camcorder in a bag to be checked.

I agree... help out the porters and slip them a few dollars. After all, your on vacation. Spend a little.

HELP the porters?? are you aware that these people are Union employees and probably make more in a week then I do in a year?

These people are hired by Port Authorities not the cruiselines

Archived