Broken Arm

netminder1980

Hey everybody,

Well I broke my upper arm playing baseball. Most of the excursions I had wanterd to do (snorkeling, zip line) I don't know that I can do. Does anyone have some ideas for excursions that I might could do.

Thanks so much,

Crippled

I hardly think that you comparing yourself to someone who is "crippled" is appropriate. And besides, it is very rude to refer to someone who has a disability as "crippled". My husband is a paraplegic and uses a wheelchair for mobility. Just last year I broke my arm and was off of work for weeks. I would never compare my misfortune to his disability.

As far as excursions, I don't know of any. Since my husband is disabled, it is difficult for us to find accessible excursions.

Well since you can't get your cast wet, I wwould recommend a boat sightseeing tour or just a bus or walking tour of the port. Basically you can do just about anything as long as it doesn't involve water or the use of your arm (like rock climbing).

Candy

from one gimp family to another (my partner's daughter is missing her left hand and forearm (birth defect) and recently had her right hand and wrist cast for tendonitis for 6 months - she wouldn't stop using her hand! - and I have severe problems with my shoulder on one side and tendonitis on the other, often leaving me with difficulty using either arm and 2 car accidents have left my knees battered beyond belief) -

I'd check with the zip line folks - sometimes accomodations/adjustments can be made. As to the snorkeling - sometimes you can get one of those soft air casts to go around the cast to allow swimming (depends on the break). Check with your doctor about the rock climbing - I did it with only one useable arm at the time.

Are you cruising soon? or is there a chance the cast might be ready to come off right before you go? I would be more specific about which cruise/when in order to get a better answer as to what people might suggest...

FYI ----

Cripple \Crip"ple\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Crippled (-p'ld); p.

pr. & vb. n. Crippling (-pl?ng).]

1. To deprive of the use of a limb, particularly of a leg or

foot; to lame.

2. To deprive of strength, activity, or capability for

service or use; to disable; to deprive of resources; as,

to be financially crippled.

Crippled \Crip"pled\ (kr?p"p'ld), a.

Lamed; lame; disabled; impeded.

Crippled is as crippled does.

Hi...our 9 year old grandson broke his wrist a week before our family cruise in June. His doctor put a waterproof cast on his wrist 2 days before we left and he could do anything he wanted in water. The only rule was that he have both feet on the ground if they were not in water (no Ice skating or rock wall climbing) There is a concern that if you fall with a cast on you will break the limb above the cast...which his MD said happens often because you don't fall correctly. He had a great cruise and enjoyed the pools and ocean with no problem.

Try to think of your broken arm as a minor inconvienence. You will heal..my amputated leg will never grow back.

It is possible for wheelers to do zip-lining if the outfitter is willing to acommodate you. i just found this out an a recent trip to Whistler. But I would agree with Arlene, about the risk of further injury from a fall, so it might not be the best choice if you are in a cast.

I went to Jamaica with a cast on and I was miserable. It was hot and boy did it ever itch! I got one of those backscratchers and crammed it down the cast the scratch. Ahh, what memories! That was of course before they had waterproof casts. I had to put a garbage bag over it to shower.

In the end it depends on what the operator is willing to let you do -- liability and all. i know some operators won't let wheelers dive (even if they are certified).

Candy

A fractured arm is an inconvenience...it is not a disability. "Crippled" is a very offensive term.

You don't say where you're cruising. This would help. You can get waterproof covers for casts if you don't have a waterproof one already.

A fractured arm is an inconvenience...it is not a disability. "Crippled" is a very offensive term.

Splinter, that is exactly what I said, then I was told to lighten up by another poster! If the other poster wants to be called "crippled" then so be it, but I don't appreciate it. I was just trying to educate the OP. The OP needs to be aware of his audience. I would never approach a group for help, and then refer to them in a derogatory manner.

OK, ya'll really, do you think the OP was truly trying to offend ? Of course not. Coming from a family of some very "crippling" diseases, injuries, and accidents, I was not at all offended. To the OP, the injury is crippling - albeit temporarily - because they cannot function as they are used to. Years ago, when someone had an injury or even rheumatism, they were said to be "crippled up". This poster came on line to get some advice and for the most part, all they have found has been rudeness. Maybe the OP was not so very "politically correct" or "medically correct", but lets call that lack of knowledge or unintentionally being insensitive to profound disabilities. But to say that they were being "rude" or "derogatory", is to me, the pot calling the kettle black. I would much rather try to politely educate someone than to lambast them for something that was so darn innocent. :mad: gg

Would you find it acceptable for someone to post about African-Americans using the n***** word or on a gay website using the f** word? To many with disabilities, this is equivilent. If you are involved at all in the disability rights movement, you would know that.

Would you find it acceptable for someone to post about African-Americans using the n***** word or on a gay website using the f** word? To many with disabilities, this is equivilent. If you are involved at all in the disability rights movement, you would know that.

Good grief Splinter - we are not talking about someone intentionally making a racist statement about others. We are talking about someone saying THEY were "crippled" because they broke a limb. Crippled does mean to lose the use of a limb permanently or temporarily. This person is obviously not a part of the disability rights groups and therefore had no knowledge that some see this as a derogatory word. I OBJECT to your rudeness to someone who is totally innocent through ignorance. How far do you think you have gotten to the OP or others reading this, by YOUR tone ???? If you want to educate others, do so, but please, if you want compassion and understanding to the plight of the handicapped, please show some compassion and understanding to the OP. I am constantly amazed at the new folks that come on CC with great questions and are immediately lambasted for whatever reason. Many never return. Who needs that ??? gg

Back to the original post, I do think *some* helpful suggestions were also posted here. Perhaps the OP can take them away and have a good time on his cruise. Disability rights is a quagmire, to be sure, and although I do try and educate people on the issues, I don't think that everybody who has a disability and wants to cruise is interested in disability rights. Some people just want to get away and have a good time. They don't care about rights or the law or anything -- they just want to have a great time on that 25th anniversary cruise. Is that wrong? No, of course not.

Language is also a quagmire. For example it's OK to use the C-word if you are part of the club but offensive to some if you use it if you are not. And just to be clear, the c-word means "crippled or crip".

Also, "handicapped" is offensive to some, but not to others. So should those folks who consider it non-offensive (and also are disabled) be berated for using it?

I don't think so. And for the record, I don't like the h-word, but if other folks use it in an effort to communicate, I think we have to look at the bigger picture. (perhaps they are looking for help or a resource.)

Point being, I don't think anyone comes here trying to intentionally insult or offend anybody. If the words don't come freely, that's OK, with me, as long as in the end they can take away some helpful info for their own life situation.

Just because folks want to travel and cruise and have a good time does not mean they are interested in disability rights. Granted, it would be good if they were, but it's not a given.

Candy

Back to the original post, I do think *some* helpful suggestions were also posted here. Perhaps the OP can take them away and have a good time on his cruise. Disability rights is a quagmire, to be sure, and although I do try and educate people on the issues, I don't think that everybody who has a disability and wants to cruise is interested in disability rights. Some people just want to get away and have a good time. They don't care about rights or the law or anything -- they just want to have a great time on that 25th anniversary cruise. Is that wrong? No, of course not.

Language is also a quagmire. For example it's OK to use the C-word if you are part of the club but offensive to some if you use it if you are not. And just to be clear, the c-word means "crippled or crip".

Also, "handicapped" is offensive to some, but not to others. So should those folks who consider it non-offensive (and also are disabled) be berated for using it?

I don't think so. And for the record, I don't like the h-word, but if other folks use it in an effort to communicate, I think we have to look at the bigger picture. (perhaps they are looking for help or a resource.)

Point being, I don't think anyone comes here trying to intentionally insult or offend anybody. If the words don't come freely, that's OK, with me, as long as in the end they can take away some helpful info for their own life situation.

Just because folks want to travel and cruise and have a good time does not mean they are interested in disability rights. Granted, it would be good if they were, but it's not a given.

Candy

Candy - thank you so much for a thoughtful, intelligent, yet, from the heart response. You are absolutely right on point with your response and if the OP had been referring to others as "crippled", I would have felt differently, but he was, and I am sure without any forethought and right off the cuff, referring to himself. We cannot berate the whole world for not understanding the world of the disabled, when so many have never experienced it. With your sincere post, you have already done a lot of good. :) gg

Archived